Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone that will be test driving the ID.4 soon, can you please check if the US model has an Auto Hold Function? We know it's available in EU cars, but no review in US has confirmed it is available here and most reviewers complain the car creeps at stops.

Here's how you enable the feature based off EU manual:

Switching Auto Hold feature 'On'
— Open the vehicle settings in the Infotainment system
— Open the Vehicle menu.
— Open the Exterior menu.
— Open the Brakes menu.
— Switch on the Auto Hold function.

Manual Description of feature, after switching on:

·
39 Posts
For anyone that will be test driving the ID.4 soon, can you please check if the US model has an Auto Hold Function? We know it's available in EU cars, but no review in US has confirmed it is available here and most reviewers complain the car creeps at stops.

Here's how you enable the feature based off EU manual:

Switching Auto Hold feature 'On'
— Open the vehicle settings in the Infotainment system
— Open the Vehicle menu.
— Open the Exterior menu.
— Open the Brakes menu.
— Switch on the Auto Hold function.

Manual Description of feature, after switching on:
View attachment 1660
I test drove it today. No auto hold and no plans for it.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
764 Posts
They said they had no plans to enable the option that's already in the European version? I really don't understand VoA. No heat pump, no auto hold. It's like they still live in a different era.
While not happy about the heat pump, at least I understand the cost "savings" reasons behind that (and HUD). Adding Auto Hold has no additional cost (at least it is something that can be added via software updates along with option for "one pedal driving").

Reactions: theboomr and Kitt

·
Proud FE owner
1,197 Posts
While not happy about the heat pump, at least I understand the cost "savings" reasons behind that (and HUD). Adding Auto Hold has no additional cost (at least it is something that can be added via software updates along with option for "one pedal driving").
In Battery Life's 2.1 YouTube live stream today, Chris mentioned that he had spoken about one-pedal driving with VW executives and they had told him it would not be added. He has an ID.3, but their reasoning about rear wheel drive (comments in the video) would also apply to ID.4. Might be something overcome by AWD.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
764 Posts
In Battery Life's 2.1 YouTube live stream today, Chris mentioned that he had spoken about one-pedal driving with VW executives and they had told him it would not be added. He has an ID.3, but their reasoning about rear wheel drive (comments in the video) would also apply to ID.4. Might be something overcome by AWD.
What was the reasoning?>

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
764 Posts
Sounded like oversteer.
I just found it in the video, it starts at 37:48 mark. I don't buy the reasoning. First, you can still have one pedal driving without adding more regen which "B" mode has already - it just needs to regen down to zero mph. The regen also felt much milder than my car which is also RWD (it is closer to the "low" setting on Teslas) - if it is snow or icy conditions he is referring to, even the mild regen can cause oversteering.

Reactions: theboomr and ErickF

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
259 Posts
so its true, US-Spec doesnt have Auto-Hold. Does other VW cars also missing auto-hold? or even other car manacturers? If so, its an US regulation thing?

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
764 Posts
so its true, US-Spec doesnt have Auto-Hold. Does other VW cars also missing auto-hold? or even other car manacturers? If so, its an US regulation thing?
Tesla and MB have for sure so not a regulation issue. My wife's Subaru doesn't have it so she will not miss it when she gets the ID.4.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
442 Posts
Man wt actual f. I really cannot comprehend any logical reasoning behind not having auto hold in the US when the car does have it overseas, and plenty of other cars have it in the US, so we know it's not a regulatory thing. I absolutely loathe creep, so that's a pretty big downside for me. I was disappointed about no proper 1 pedal driving mode, but I could learn to be ok with that with auto hold present, but now neither feature is present? Ugh. I really hope VW wise up and add some of these things in with OTA updates sooner than later. I'll still keep my reservation because the ID.4 still checks more of my personal boxes than other options but ugh.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
39 Posts
Auto Hold? Why would you need this? My leg works just fine on the brake pedal to hold the car still.
lol. It’s an option that is nice to have in electric cars. Especially in stop and go traffic. they have to program in A forced roll to have the “feel” of a ICE car. to me it is dumbing down the car instead of moving forward with technology (pun intended) 😃

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
404 Posts
Most people coming from ICE vehicles will likely appreciate the lack of 1-pedal driving and the addition of creep when letting off the brake pedal, for one simple reason: it mimics an ICE automatic vehicle. It's what they're used to, it eliminates any kind of adjustment to driving the ID.4. I like 1-pedal driving, thoroughly enjoyed it in my i3. My husband doesn't like it, at all, because he doesn't like that you constantly have to have your foot on the accelerator pedal. For the masses, having to use the brake pedal to slow the vehicle down is quite intuitive as it's something they already have to do with ICE vehicles. Heck, most people I know don't even use cruise control, and when I talk to them about autopilot (or VW's Travel Assist) they freak out. The masses aren't ready for actual autopilot.

·
2019 Tiguan SE 2016 Jetta Sport
40 Posts
lol. It’s an option that is nice to have in electric cars. Especially in stop and go traffic. they have to program in A forced roll to have the “feel” of a ICE car. to me it is dumbing down the car instead of moving forward with technology (pun intended) 😃
Yeah, I get it, but boy we are taking all of the "feel" out of driving! I'll take my ID.4 without driving aids thank you! (old school, I know...)

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
764 Posts
Most people coming from ICE vehicles will likely appreciate the lack of 1-pedal driving and the addition of creep when letting off the brake pedal, for one simple reason: it mimics an ICE automatic vehicle. It's what they're used to, it eliminates any kind of adjustment to driving the ID.4. I like 1-pedal driving, thoroughly enjoyed it in my i3. My husband doesn't like it, at all, because he doesn't like that you constantly have to have your foot on the accelerator pedal. For the masses, having to use the brake pedal to slow the vehicle down is quite intuitive as it's something they already have to do with ICE vehicles. Heck, most people I know don't even use cruise control, and when I talk to them about autopilot (or VW's Travel Assist) they freak out. The masses aren't ready for actual autopilot.
If only they had some sort of center screen where you can choose the option to turn on/off one pedal driving or creep. It's like saying the HVAC (or "Clima") can only be set to 72° because they decided people are comfortable at that temperature.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue
476 Posts
Sure, I agree with that. But ... it would be nice to give people the option of kicking off the training wheels. Its only software.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.