Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro RWD since 6/21
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are taking the ID.4 from Durham, NC to a wedding in Michigan this coming weekend and I'm looking at the EV planning challenge known as West Virginia. As far as I can tell, there are only a couple of CCS chargers in the whole state at a couple of Harley Davidson dealerships, which are not on this route. There are no EAs anywhere in WV.

I'm wondering how things have gone for folks trying to make the Gallipolis to Wytheville leap. It's only 187 miles from the ChargePoint charger in Gallapolis to the EA in Wytheville, but with the elevation gain on that leg ABRP has me charging to 100% and driving 55 mph to arrive with 5% SOC. Those "Coming Soon" sites aren't going to be of any help for this coming weekend. The only filter on this PlugShare map is for CCS chargers:

Map World Atlas Font Parallel

Has anyone pulled that jump off? If that jump isn't doable, we will have to add 120 miles to the trip to avoid WV.

·
348 Posts
We are taking the ID.4 from Durham, NC to a wedding in Michigan this coming weekend and I'm looking at the EV planning challenge known as West Virginia. As far as I can tell, there are only a couple of CCS chargers in the whole state at a couple of Harley Davidson dealerships, which are not on this route. There are no EAs anywhere in WV.

I'm wondering how things have gone for folks trying to make the Gallipolis to Wytheville leap. It's only 187 miles from the ChargePoint charger in Gallapolis to the EA in Wytheville, but with the elevation gain on that leg ABRP has me charging to 100% and driving 55 mph to arrive with 5% SOC. Those "Coming Soon" sites aren't going to be of any help for this coming weekend. The only filter on this PlugShare map is for CCS chargers:

View attachment 11622

Has anyone pulled that jump off? If that jump isn't doable, we will have to add 120 miles to the trip to avoid WV.
Have a lunch break in Charleston and stick 6-8 kwh in while you dine. That gives you 10% more buffer at destination

Dave

·
596 Posts
I was the one last year who suggested Tamarack to EA and encouraged others to do so. I lost my nerve and drove ICE last September. Cool to see a Coming Soon to Tamarack!

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
977 Posts
Have a lunch break in Charleston and stick 6-8 kwh in while you dine. That gives you 10% more buffer at destination
That's my tried and true solution to any questionable range problem. Check Plugshare and hopefully find a Tesla Destination charger at a restaurant or mall or even a motel - At a motel, go in and offer to pay for an hours charge

Many of those Tesla chargers have more power than the 11Kw which maxxes out the ID's onboard charger and will give you 40 to 45 miles per hour. Of course, you will need a Tesla Tap

Most of my many hundreds of miles in West Virginia were done on my Honda CBX - WVA is absolutely the best of the lower 48 states if you enjoy riding motorcycles at ridiculous speeds along twisty, winding roads - Often when we found a really good 10 or 15 mile stretch, we rode it over and over again until we had it nearly memorized :cool:

·
348 Posts
That's my tried and true solution to any questionable range problem. Check Plugshare and hopefully find a Tesla Destination charger at a restaurant or mall or even a motel - At a motel, go in and offer to pay for an hours charge

Many of those Tesla chargers have more power than the 11Kw which maxxes out the ID's onboard charger and will give you 40 to 45 miles per hour. Of course, you will need a Tesla Tap

Most of my many hundreds of miles in West Virginia were done on my Honda CBX - WVA is absolutely the best of the lower 48 states if you enjoy riding motorcycles at ridiculous speeds along twisty, winding roads - Often when we found a really good 10 or 15 mile stretch, we rode it over and over again until we had it nearly memorized :cool:
Or just use one of the several J-1772 chargers in Charleston, preferably near a coffee shop or cafe or something.

Dave

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro RWD since 6/21
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a good idea, except Gallipolis is already lunch and Wytheville is supper. I suppose we could do like hobbits and just start adding additional meals in between. :)

Photograph Plant Facial expression Jaw Sharing

I was the one last year who suggested Tamarack to EA and encouraged others to do so. I lost my nerve and drove ICE last September. Cool to see a Coming Soon to Tamarack!
It is good, and as @Manybees has pointed out all good things come soon™. Tamarack is a perfect place for EV chargers, but adding just one CCS at there will make for a very busy charger. I imagine a lot of people will have their eye on that charger when traveling I-77.

Most of my many hundreds of miles in West Virginia were done on my Honda CBX - WVA is absolutely the best of the lower 48 states if you enjoy riding motorcycles at ridiculous speeds along twisty, winding roads
I should have taken my Shadow to WV while I still had it.

I made that trip two weeks ago. I charged to 100% at Gallipolis and made it all the way to Wytheville.

We left at 4:42 AM and arrived to Wytheville at 8:05 AM with 41 miles left to go. Drove at 60 mph average.
That's very encouraging, @javi_ID4! Thanks for letting me know. Even if the wind is against us or something, that makes me think that we can do it even if we have to get a splash of electrons at a Level 2.

·
Dusk Blue Metallic ID.4 Pro S (Statement) RWD - Step 4/7
50 Posts
I live in Columbus, OH and have looked at that route many times with the same questions running through my head. I have family in Charlotte and drive that direction often. I've seen the coming soon chargers, and also a Tesla Supercharger station in Charleston, WV that would be an option if they ever open up to other manufacturers (not holding my breath).

Please let us know how it goes if you attempt this. I'm sure I'm going to attempt it at some point this summer as well.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
253 Posts
I live in Columbus, OH and have looked at that route many times with the same questions running through my head. I have family in Charlotte and drive that direction often. I've seen the coming soon chargers, and also a Tesla Supercharger station in Charleston, WV that would be an option if they ever open up to other manufacturers (not holding my breath).

Please let us know how it goes if you attempt this. I'm sure I'm going to attempt it at some point this summer as well.
We were visiting family in Columbus. I had my reservations too about the trip. Per ABRP, going from Wytheville to Columbus via Gallipolis was no issue. But going back, the app was suggesting to make a two hours stop at a charger (27 kW) located at Mercedes Benz of Charleston that is currently out of order. That made no sense to me. I just decided to go for it. We left at 1:30 AM and charged at Gallipolis for one hour. Perfect time to sleep while charging. Using the assisted driving, I tried to be behind semis that were going at of a little below 60 MPG. I drove on B mode the entire time and when going downhill, I was able to see the guess-o-meter miles go up. The entire trip from Columbus (1:30 AM) back to Jacksonville (6:45 PM) took 17 hours and 15 minutes. We made 5 stops along the way. It can be done.

Map Organism World Line Font

·
348 Posts
It's a good idea, except Gallipolis is already lunch and Wytheville is supper. I suppose we could do like hobbits and just start adding additional meals in between. :)

View attachment 11638
Third meal in Charleston. ;-)

Dave

It is good, and as @Manybees has pointed out all good things come soon™. Tamarack is a perfect place for EV chargers, but adding just one CCS at there will make for a very busy charger. I imagine a lot of people will have their eye on that charger when traveling I-77.

I should have taken my Shadow to WV while I still had it.

That's very encouraging, @javi_ID4! Thanks for letting me know. Even if the wind is against us or something, that makes me think that we can do it even if we have to get a splash of electrons at a Level 2.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro RWD since 6/21
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our trip to Michigan and back went great this weekend. The car performed perfectly, and all our charging stops worked out well. The Gallipolis, OH to Wytheville, VA leg of the journey that was the biggest planning concern was no problem today. We started out driving that leg conservatively setting the cruise to 5 mph below the speed limit in 65 and 70 mph zones, but we were getting such good efficiency that we eventually sped up, especially after we went over the 3200 ft pass. We left the ChargePoint 62 kW charger in Gallipolis with 100% SOC and arrived in Wytheville 185 miles later with 25% SOC & 75 mi GOM remaining and 3.4 mi/kWh efficiency for the leg. The temperatures were perfect in the 70s and the wind was mostly a mild cross-wind.

I was stunned to see the efficiencies we were getting.

NC -> MI 659 mi, 12h16m, avg 54 mph, efficiency 3.5 mi/kWh

The average speed was affected by some traffic snarls especially around Toledo--we set the cruise to the speed limit the whole time on the way up. We were mostly on Interstates, but we did travel on US highways at 55 mph once we got past Columbus, OH.

And the return trip was just as good, again almost whole time setting the cruise to the speed limit. On the return home, we spent more time over the limit than under.

MI -> NC 666 mi, 11h37m, avg 58 mph, efficiency 3.5 mi/kWh.

That 3.5 mi/kHh that we got amazed me, because that is on the high end of what I get between charges in our city driving. I did up the tire pressures to 43 psi before leaving to help ensure we could make it through WV, but mostly I think it was due to favorable temperatures and little headwind. But I never expected to actually get 3.5 mi/kWh driving mostly 65 & 70 mph.

We had the thermostat set to 71 degF, and it was mostly cooling but in the mornings it also did some heating to keep the temperature set. We had the car set to eco mode and the temperature in the car was very comfortable.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll post more of the trip data.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts