Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Pro S Gradient AWD red
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I locked my ProS AWD on 10/7, and joined the forum soon after. I have been excitedly learning about the vehicle here and on other sites since, and even purchased an EVSE in anticipation. Also got bids for running a dedicated line for the charger. Been checking the order wheel daily and posting on the forum.

But I’ve quickly lost my enthusiasm. Other than the idea of owning a BEV and enjoying the new tech, much of the rest has made me unsettled. Overall, BEV vehicles have poor reliability, and VW as a product line is among the worst on the CR list. In addition, the ordering process and the dealership thing is a lousy experience so far. I have never felt so disrespected by a company during the purchasing process, and I am buying a vehicle that is very expensive, at least for me, and that I have never seen in person. I’m doubting the quality control, the company commitment to the customer, and just about everything. Doesn’t mean I think there is some other BEV maker shining stars out there, because there is not.

So I’m going to sign off here as a participant, return the EVSE to Amazon, and see how the company does in the rest of this ordering process. So far I give them an F-, but I will keep my order active, and keep reading how owners are faring with reliability, software, and all of the other complaints. I have to say that so far buying from this company has not inspired confidence, at all. I’d call this VW probation period; let’s see how they do.

When and if the vehicle arrives, I can make my final decision whether to purchase it, or not. Meanwhile they can keep my $500 to maybe pay someone to send out decent progress reports or update the vehicle software. My gut is telling me that it will take several years to sort out the BEV situation, inspire more quality construction and reliability, and get some competition on price.

Thanks to the other forum members for your posts and suggestions.

Best Regards,

EJ

·
52 Posts
It’s funny how different people have different perspectives. I ordered the car online, I knew what I was getting and I knew the price I was going to pay. I did not have to talk to anybody and I was in and out of the dealer quickly. Best car purchase experience ever.
I do take into account we were in the middle of Covid and then had chip shortages. I also said that with the fact that I could pull out of the reservation anytime I wanted with no cost.

·
"Einstein" - 2021 ID.4 AWD Pro S, Scale Silver
169 Posts
To each their own. I waited over a year to take delivery of my AWD Pro S and it's the best car I've ever owned thus far. Buying process was straightforward assuming you know the numbers/rates, etc. before you walk into the dealer. Build quality is solid and software is perfectly useable - the complaints are way overblown IMHO (especially from people that don't own the car).

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
I locked my ProS AWD on 10/7, and joined the forum soon after. I have been excitedly learning about the vehicle here and on other sites since, and even purchased an EVSE in anticipation. Also got bids for running a dedicated line for the charger. Been checking the order wheel daily and posting on the forum.

But I’ve quickly lost my enthusiasm. Other than the idea of owning a BEV and enjoying the new tech, much of the rest has made me unsettled. Overall, BEV vehicles have poor reliability, and VW as a product line is among the worst on the CR list. In addition, the ordering process and the dealership thing is a lousy experience so far. I have never felt so disrespected by a company during the purchasing process, and I am buying a vehicle that is very expensive, at least for me, and that I have never seen in person. I’m doubting the quality control, the company commitment to the customer, and just about everything. Doesn’t mean I think there is some other BEV maker shining stars out there, because there is not.

So I’m going to sign off here as a participant, return the EVSE to Amazon, and see how the company does in the rest of this ordering process. So far I give them an F-, but I will keep my order active, and keep reading how owners are faring with reliability, software, and all of the other complaints. I have to say that so far buying from this company has not inspired confidence, at all. I’d call this VW probation period; let’s see how they do.

When and if the vehicle arrives, I can make my final decision whether to purchase it, or not. Meanwhile they can keep my $500 to maybe pay someone to send out decent progress reports or update the vehicle software. My gut is telling me that it will take several years to sort out the BEV situation, inspire more quality construction and reliability, and get some competition on price.

Best Regards,

EJ
We will be here if you decide to turn on the lights. Good luck

·
2021 Moonstone Grey ID.4
115 Posts
To each their own. I waited over a year to take delivery of my AWD Pro S and it's the best car I've ever owned thus far. Buying process was straightforward assuming you know the numbers/rates, etc. before you walk into the dealer. Build quality is solid and software is perfectly useable - the complaints are way overblown IMHO (especially from people that don't own the car).
I agree wholeheartedly. I feel bad for the people who've had a bad experience. Mine has been exactly like yours - best car I've ever owned, straightforward buying process, etc. I've had my ID.4 six months now (and put over 9k miles on it) & just LOVE driving it.

To the people who don't have their car yet - stay in the process. I've not had a single software glitch - my worst issue with the car was a squeak in the driver's seat that VW fixed, no questions asked. They apologized to me for not catching it, even.

·
Pro S Gradient AWD red
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a postscript for what it is worth.
I never claimed to have been on countless message boards or had a problem with this one. I appreciate it, and will continue to occasionally monitor and read. What I had to do for myself is to stop getting cranked on a daily basis by getting involved with constant order progress checking and forum participation. Frankly it was driving me crazy. And there just no way for me to go part way, better cold turkey.

I bought my first car in 1964 and the latest in 2019, with a lot in between. Through all those vehicles, I have never ordered a vehicle until this one. A few times I waited a couple of weeks until the dealer rep found one for me, but rarely over a day or two.
I find buying a vehicle you have not seen, especially first year models, is risky. Doubly so if you don’t even know when you will get it.
Respondents who boast about how happy they are after ordering a year ago and now enjoying the vehicle just isn’t me. I wouldn’t do that.
I detest this situation where we as buyers are competing for vehicles at high prices and waiting.

As I previously posted, for those who didn’t read or comprehend, but still chose to make snarky remarks, I neither have left the forum nor cancelled my order. And, when you don’t own a vehicle but are in the process of buying one, other opinions are all you have. And, frankly, actual data on BEV reliability indicates they are, as a group, the least reliable vehicles sold in America. That’s a fact. The problem is not the drivetrain, it’s the electronics and gee whiz things that don’t work right. And, factually, VW as a brand is in the lowest reliability tier of vehicles sold in America. So, with a new vehicle in the first year, you worry, or at least I do.

So I’m in but am watching. Turns out, a forum colleague from my town has bought the exact vehicle I have on order at the same dealer. But his will be delivered in a couple of weeks. So I am hoping to have his input and opinion as a new owner before I make the final decision.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021) and ID.4 Pro/S (acquired 8/20/21)
312 Posts
Bought a FE in April, loved it so much, bought a Pro/S in August. Will be buying a ID.BUZZ in a few years (when available). 1st and 2nd EV I have ever owned. Best and most fun cars I have ever owned. Have fun and good luck!

·
1 Posts

Best Regards,

EJ
I understand everything you're saying. I'm going to try to test drive an ID4 AWD soon, before I decide to order.
Peering around on forums can definitely bring you down. As the saying goes if someone has a complaint they're the ones that squawk the most. And, I don't blame them. And, you're also correct about VW's overall reputation. VW's resale is also not great.
My household hasn't really felt the sting of VW's resale, though. Our '18 GTI Autobahn DSG has held its value very well. But, from what I've researched our GTI is a bit of an exception. The vehicle we would replace is a '17 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT. This vehicle has been spectacular. The fear of buying something that may not be as reliable as my 5 year-old Mazda, haunts me.
I'm going to test drive an AWD ID4 with tempered enthusiasm. The dealers haven't been an issue for me yet. After I do a test-drive I'll be sure to gage what their stance is on sticker markups. And, if I do place an order and learn something terrible about the car I can refuse delivery and get my deposit back.

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
299 Posts
I’ve been posting on various message boards for a couple decades now and the “I’m leaving and here’s why” post is always one of my favorites.
I love those too. Beloved of “join, stir the pot, and leave” characters on forums everywhere.

Here is my favourite quote from his short-but-prolific membership of this forum:

I don’t let the vehicle determine how fast I’ll drive or which road I’ll take because of available range or charging infrastructure. Instead, my personal desires are satisfied, rather than the limitations of my vehicle. If I want to blast down the interstate at 80 mph to make time or mosey on scenic back roads …

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,543 Posts
Folks really need to appreciate that automotive forums tilt the scales towards problems as their primary raison d'être is to surface same and get advice on resolution.

I sold my Wankel engined RX-8 sooner than I really should have (especially given my $5K in modifications) mostly because I bought into that forum's gloom & doom on anticipated long term reliability. 😕

I've discussed with Spin how I sometimes wish I wasn't a member here as I've not had but a few self-healing computer glitches, with otherwise a carefree and enjoyable experience, and I therefore have to mentally stave off the negativity such threads induce.

As I've cited many times I do feel sympathy for those who have significant issues, even if not empathy, but I would say that about any automotive model forum to which I've belonged. There is very rarely a near-perfect vehicle.

Oh, and as others here, despite paying MSRP for only the 2nd time in my long experience even this transaction was one of the most enjoyable as no hassle and fair to all.

btw: Here's a very recent example showing that premium marque forum folks are just as prone, if not more so, to knee jerk brand denunciation when it turns out to be a user-neglected maintenance item.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S Gradient
111 Posts
I have a RWD Pro S and it is one of the most comfortable road cars I have ever had and I am OLD! I just returned from a road trip yesterday from Arkansas after spending 12 hours driving (or charging). EA does need a bit of work, but the car is great. Concerning the software, I agree and find it completely useable. Will it get better with time sure it will. I'm old enough to remember Windows 1.0. The other thing is that I feel most complaints come from is the habit a lot of us used to have of getting in a car, start the engine and immediately drive off. Remember your ID.4 is a computer on wheels. Give it few seconds to boot. Your computer at home won't work instantly after powering up either. Get in, push the brake pedal and then put on your seat belt, close the door etc.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
387 Posts
Here is a postscript for what it is worth.

I bought my first car in 1964 and the latest in 2019, with a lot in between. Through all those vehicles, I have never ordered a vehicle until this one. A few times I waited a couple of weeks until the dealer rep found one for me, but rarely over a day or two.

I detest this situation where we as buyers are competing for vehicles at high prices and waiting.
I do feel for you - I've never ordered a car and waited weeks for delivery either and wasn't about to do so this time. I have searched for the 'perfect' vehicle and then went quite a distance to get it and bring it home several times though. Once for a used Mazda I bought in Chicago and drove home to Biloxi, visiting relatives along the way. My short wheelbase Ford Transit Connect we found in Georgia and we drove over, spent the night, bought it and my wife drove it home. SWB passenger versions were quite rare and we had a hard time finding exactly what we wanted. Again when I bought my 2017 Chevy Volt, I wanted a specific color, interior and features and when I finally found the exact car, it was in Iowa, so we flew to Des Moines and drove it home, again visiting friends and relatives along the way. My search for an ID.4 had me looking to buy a specific one in Jacksonville Florida, but the sale was held up because the rear view mirror had to be replaced and they couldn't sell it to me and ship me the mirror later for legal reasons. Luckily, a fellow forum member found me the exact same car much closer to home (200 miles) and we were able to buy that one at MSRP. I wanted to get one before the end of the year for tax purposes, so ordering was out of the question, not that I would have seriously considered that anyway

They are out there, all over the country, and at MSRP from reputable dealers, for those not wanting to wait

Buying a car and bringing it home has been a mini-vacation for us many times in the past. If I want a specific car, a thousand miles is not going to stand in my way . . . .

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
1,740 Posts

Buying a car and bringing it home has been a mini-vacation for us many times in the past. If I want a specific car, a thousand miles is not going to stand in my way . . . .
Wow, you do it right. All of ours have been fly out, marathon drive home the same day / late at night sort of stuff, once over 300 miles with a blown-off turbo hose.

·
45 Posts
It's very frustrating waiting. Besides seeing a few people get theirs faster (based on the Spreadsheet), and the lack of transparent, good estimates, I still expect in the end it will be worth the wait. At this point I'm hoping they announce the 2022 model year and a bunch of people cancel their 2021orders and I can pick up one of them. Otherwise, I think it will be January or Februrary for the RWD Pro S I ordered at the end of August.

·
49 Posts
Two months ago when I decided this was the car I wanted I called various local dealerships and asked to be called when one became available. Two weeks later I got the call and was able to select from three that had arrived the previous evening. Since I had done my homework, I was prepared to do the deal on the spot. While I did pay full MSRP (something I have NEVER done before) there were no mark-ups or added fees. I drove off a few hours later.

This was my second EV (Nissan LEAF was the first) there was a learning curve with this more advanced car. After I acclimated to the ins and outs of the car I can honestly say I am truly happy with my ID.4. I have not had any issues with Electrify America. There is a great deal to like about the ID.4. Perhaps in the past two months things have changed and the car has become more difficult to procure. I have a friend who will be waiting for her new Tesla for at least six months.

Remember, there are many folks who have bought this car and are driving it who don't belong to this board. Those with problems/concerns are more motivated to seek out answers and post than others who have purchased a car they are happy with and are simply focusing on other things in their lives.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
946 Posts
I too never ordered a car online and then waited months for the delivery. But then, I knew what I was getting into from the outset. After researching EVs and determining my needs and expectations, I wasn't going to settle for a compromised platform (hello Kia Niro, it was nice thinking about you), slow DC charging (Chevy Bolt) or a car well above $45,000, possibly even without federal tax credit (Tesla MY, and initial models of Mach-E). So that left brand-new cars without any on the lot, and all the vagaries and uncertainties around that. VW happened to be first out of the gate with specs I needed or wanted, so I placed an order on opening day, and waited and worried for almost 7 months. I will say that it was very definitely worth it for me, and my wife agrees wholeheartedly too. Great vehicle, fun to drive, and pretty much a painless experience.

·
112 Posts
Some of you will no doubt hate me...but I waited about 15 minutes for my ID.4 My Kona Electric was bought back by Hyundai because of the battery recall issue. The day I returned it to the dealer they handed me a check, I walked through the parking lot to the VW dealer next door and 15 minutes later signed on the dotted line for my ProS that was sitting on their showroom floor. They had rolled it inside while I was watching from the Hyundai showroom. So far I completely agree...it's the best car I've ever owned.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts