Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
115 Posts
I locked my ProS AWD on 10/7, and joined the forum soon after. I have been excitedly learning about the vehicle here and on other sites since, and even purchased an EVSE in anticipation. Also got bids for running a dedicated line for the charger. Been checking the order wheel daily and posting on the forum.

But I’ve quickly lost my enthusiasm. Other than the idea of owning a BEV and enjoying the new tech, much of the rest has made me unsettled. Overall, BEV vehicles have poor reliability, and VW as a product line is among the worst on the CR list. In addition, the ordering process and the dealership thing is a lousy experience so far. I have never felt so disrespected by a company during the purchasing process, and I am buying a vehicle that is very expensive, at least for me, and that I have never seen in person. I’m doubting the quality control, the company commitment to the customer, and just about everything. Doesn’t mean I think there is some other BEV maker shining stars out there, because there is not.

So I’m going to sign off here as a participant, return the EVSE to Amazon, and see how the company does in the rest of this ordering process. So far I give them an F-, but I will keep my order active, and keep reading how owners are faring with reliability, software, and all of the other complaints. I have to say that so far buying from this company has not inspired confidence, at all. I’d call this VW probation period; let’s see how they do.

When and if the vehicle arrives, I can make my final decision whether to purchase it, or not. Meanwhile they can keep my $500 to maybe pay someone to send out decent progress reports or update the vehicle software. My gut is telling me that it will take several years to sort out the BEV situation, inspire more quality construction and reliability, and get some competition on price.

Thanks to the other forum members for your posts and suggestions.

Best Regards,

EJ
No need to announce your departure, nobody cares and nobody will notice you are gone. Nothing personal.

·
115 Posts
It's very frustrating waiting. Besides seeing a few people get theirs faster (based on the Spreadsheet), and the lack of transparent, good estimates, I still expect in the end it will be worth the wait. At this point I'm hoping they announce the 2022 model year and a bunch of people cancel their 2021orders and I can pick up one of them. Otherwise, I think it will be January or Februrary for the RWD Pro S I ordered at the end of August.
Yes the waiting is frustrating and endless. I ordered my Pro S Gradient RWD at the end of May and waited 4.5 months reading reviews and post after post about issues and exagerations but I have had my car for 5 weeks now and it has been AMAZING. I have not experienced a single issue or big of any kind. The car is such a pleasure to drive.

·
10 Posts
I see two issues in your dissatisfaction. First, the purchasing experience. I am utterly unsurprised that a company that has never had an online ordering system has made a mess of the process.
Dealers have earned the well deserved reputation for being dishonest/unhelpful and downright rude.
Not all dealers are bad of course but the stereotype is not inaccurate on the whole.
The stereotype of Germans business is one of conservatism and caution, the exact opposite of how tech heavy markets work. This is demonstrated by the various critiques of VW software and the ordering process. I presume it will improve but will take time. As for the dealers I cannot see them charging much and anticipate a lot of them leaving the field.
The second point is the alleged unreliability of VW. Please note that CR noted that the vast bulk of unreliability complaints were related to infotainment systems. This has been true for over ten years. I discount such reports as they generally have zero impact on actual operations of the vehicle. What you are seeing are complaints by people who can’t connect to Apple car play or are annoyed by software bugs.
CR road tests also will note in reliability ratings actual mechanical issues. In the case of VW there are not enough reports to make an assessment of mechanical reliability.
The only VW mechanical issue I am familiar with was an automatic transmission that failed at 13,000 miles. VW refused to cover the repairs and my friend who owned it swore never to buy another VW. I completely understand his feelings. However the ID4 does not have a transmission and this that area of failure is eliminated. EVs in general have fewer moving parts and are far more dependent on the software. I also believe that VW is being very conservative on the mechanical side of the vehicle to ensure that they will be solid vehicles. For them, the software is the biggest issue. The bright spot there is that it can be “fixed” with a simple update.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
950 Posts
I think @Beach monkey is completely right here.
To put things into perspective, here's my son's story of placing a Tesla Model Y order: Tesla is famously easy and effective with its ordering process, and that much is true (but in fairness, placing the order with VW is also easy). What is not often talked about is the update hell that Tesla also have. My son placed his order in late May, and got an estimated delivery date of Aug-Oct. As time progressed that interval became slightly narrower, but it fluctuated wildly on an almost daily basis between late August and early November. It got crazier as time progressed until he gave up checking obsessively and settled on a once or twice a week rhythm. The car was delivered at the end of September, with the online portal still showing October. Go figure...
My lesson: The supply chain is crazy messy right now and even the masters of the game can barely control things and give accurate information. Dealing with all this probably eats up way more resources at the manufacturers than they want to admit, and makes for the perfect PR sh*tstorm.

·
2016 VW E-Golf SE - Pure White
5 Posts
I want to comment on the reliability aspect being poor for BEV's as it is polar opposite of my experience with VW's first crack at a "volume" BEV (E-Golf).

My '16 E-Golf SE has ~67k miles on it and I am the second owner (1.75 years in my hands). Prior owner had it for a 3 year lease where they piled 58k miles on over those 3 years and it never went back for any kind of maintenance or inspection. Carfax would be frightening if it was 58k on a gasser/diesel without a single service visit but apparently on a BEV even VW didn't flinch at selling it as a CPO. First time it saw VW service was to do CPO checklist before I bought it.

So 4.75 years old, ~67k miles and not a hiccup between my ownership period and the prior owner who didn't even bother to take it in for inspections. Outside of the backup camera not activating 1 out of every 20-30 times I can't even comment on any electrical oddities.

·
19 Posts
Yeah, it was really easy for me too. A few months ago I watched a few reviews on Id.4 and decided to get one. That weekend I called a few dealerships in Oregon.. I'm in Eugene.. there were probably 10-15 Id.4's between Eugene/Corvallis/Salem and Portland, all different models/color combos. I decided on the White on Gray 1st edition in Salem. Paid msrp/45k total for it(no mark up). Just go pick one up :) You'll be glad you did. Yeah the infotainment isn't perfect by a long shot but if your using Android Auto or Apple Carplay you'll rarely be using it. You know the cars great when one of the biggest complaints about the vehicle is having to press the "rear" haptic button to roll down the back windows :)

·
59 Posts
I've called a couple dealers around NJ and one in PA and they just have demos or nothing. One said an order would take a month but I had to come to the dealer to order it. I don't believe that and didn't want to waste my time.

·
2021 Id.4 Pro
6 Posts
I do feel for you - I've never ordered a car and waited weeks for delivery either and wasn't about to do so this time. I have searched for the 'perfect' vehicle and then went quite a distance to get it and bring it home several times though. Once for a used Mazda I bought in Chicago and drove home to Biloxi, visiting relatives along the way. My short wheelbase Ford Transit Connect we found in Georgia and we drove over, spent the night, bought it and my wife drove it home. SWB passenger versions were quite rare and we had a hard time finding exactly what we wanted. Again when I bought my 2017 Chevy Volt, I wanted a specific color, interior and features and when I finally found the exact car, it was in Iowa, so we flew to Des Moines and drove it home, again visiting friends and relatives along the way. My search for an ID.4 had me looking to buy a specific one in Jacksonville Florida, but the sale was held up because the rear view mirror had to be replaced and they couldn't sell it to me and ship me the mirror later for legal reasons. Luckily, a fellow forum member found me the exact same car much closer to home (200 miles) and we were able to buy that one at MSRP. I wanted to get one before the end of the year for tax purposes, so ordering was out of the question, not that I would have seriously considered that anyway

They are out there, all over the country, and at MSRP from reputable dealers, for those not wanting to wait

Buying a car and bringing it home has been a mini-vacation for us many times in the past. If I want a specific car, a thousand miles is not going to stand in my way . . . .
Nice. I placed an orde r for a Moongrey Pro RWD last June, drove by my local dealer the next weekend to see one, saw a demo out front a d a MSG Pro on the back lot, called Monday morning and found it was available, test drove it, and bought it. Dealer even knocked $1,200 off the MSRP. Fantastic car. Mid $ 30k’s after tax credit and destination charge, which is “average” not “expensive” these days ( though obvious this is relative to one’s resources). And I figure I will save at least $2k/yr with the free EA charging for first 3 years….
And now that I’ve figured out the 2-button window switch and found an aftermarket trailer hitch (Draw Tite has one), no complaints!

·
Premium Member
Pro S RWD
30 Posts
Reading these posts with great interest. Perspective is such a large part of each individual's post. Bias, personal opinion, that old chestnut...all a part of our posts....mine included. I do try to be objective and logical. It is clear that current events preclude the typical timeline associated with taking delivery of a new ID 4. Current conditions must be taken into consideration..says Captain Obvious. In terms of CR dependability studies, it is risk tolerance which determines how much weight one puts on repair statistics from CR or JD Power etc. These studies are a consideration for me, but not a major determining factor, as for the ID4...new model, new tech...some "bumps in the road" are expected. I am hoping for a great ownership experience. The academic and theoretical discussions concern me. What if's.....etc. remember the old saying. "consider the source" At this point all I can so is spell ID4. I have no personal experience from which to formulate any of my own opinions or draw any conclusions. Wishing all of you a great Thanks Giving.

·
29 Posts
I locked my ProS AWD on 10/7, and joined the forum soon after. I have been excitedly learning about the vehicle here and on other sites since, and even purchased an EVSE in anticipation. Also got bids for running a dedicated line for the charger. Been checking the order wheel daily and posting on the forum.

But I’ve quickly lost my enthusiasm. Other than the idea of owning a BEV and enjoying the new tech, much of the rest has made me unsettled. Overall, BEV vehicles have poor reliability, and VW as a product line is among the worst on the CR list. In addition, the ordering process and the dealership thing is a lousy experience so far. I have never felt so disrespected by a company during the purchasing process, and I am buying a vehicle that is very expensive, at least for me, and that I have never seen in person. I’m doubting the quality control, the company commitment to the customer, and just about everything. Doesn’t mean I think there is some other BEV maker shining stars out there, because there is not.

So I’m going to sign off here as a participant, return the EVSE to Amazon, and see how the company does in the rest of this ordering process. So far I give them an F-, but I will keep my order active, and keep reading how owners are faring with reliability, software, and all of the other complaints. I have to say that so far buying from this company has not inspired confidence, at all. I’d call this VW probation period; let’s see how they do.

When and if the vehicle arrives, I can make my final decision whether to purchase it, or not. Meanwhile they can keep my $500 to maybe pay someone to send out decent progress reports or update the vehicle software. My gut is telling me that it will take several years to sort out the BEV situation, inspire more quality construction and reliability, and get some competition on price.

Best Regards,

EJ
Don't buy it. Wish I had not. To many good quality coming from Hyundai and Kia this year and 2023 will see much better tech. VW could care less about letting us know when fixes will be coming. They advertised over the air updates like Tesla but that also was a lie. Their system was not programmed to update much of the car at all. Why? They say it will be enabled after a fix at the dealers but no dates. Europe is getting updates but not the United States. I've bought my last VW.

·
29 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. I feel bad for the people who've had a bad experience. Mine has been exactly like yours - best car I've ever owned, straightforward buying process, etc. I've had my ID.4 six months now (and put over 9k miles on it) & just LOVE driving it.

To the people who don't have their car yet - stay in the process. I've not had a single software glitch - my worst issue with the car was a squeak in the driver's seat that VW fixed, no questions asked. They apologized to me for not catching it, even.
I do own the car and very well understand the state of the software that is horrible. It's not people who don't own it. Dealerships not trained. Month sitting in shop not unusual. VW lied before with the diesels and they are doing the same now by evading answering questions on the state of repairs.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
1,771 Posts
I've owned the car since March. The software is fine, except for the occasional (stress: occasional) bug that is easily resettable. Not a single day in maintenance. Never stranded.

Just because VW hasn't delivered an OTA yet doesn't make them liars. They're guilty of poor communications and being slow, but there's zero doubt in my mind that updates are coming.

I'm not denying your experience @Flmatthew but offering an experience counter to what you're presenting. My argument is that the majority of ID.4 owners are living and loving a trouble-free existence. It pains me to see these tales of faulty modules, soaked interiors, and cars sidelined for weeks awaiting parts or experienced technicians, but at the same time, it's not the norm.

·
27 Posts

Best Regards,

EJ
Although I returned my ID and was disappointed in the software I think it was an outstanding car in many ways. The reliability is outstanding for every BEV I've ever owned. The VW had some software issues and that is included in it's reliability score I'm sure but is unimportant in the confidence I felt driving it.
The id was supposed to replace my wife's Fiat E but she couldn't get used to the size. We switched and she took my Bolt while I tried to adapt to the id. An SUV just wasn't a good fit for me and when some software glitches came and went I decided to resell it and get my Bolt back. We replaced her Fiat with a newer barely used 500e and she's delighted.
I say all this because I want you to understand why I got rid of our id. It handled very well, turned on a dime, cruised comfortably, and with the free charging could be charged outside the house quickly without the need of a home charger.
So, I'd say give it a chance. The software stuff was comparably minor and will hopefully get worked out. I thought it a good value and a pretty nice car. Hopefully you'll see your dealer minimally. Don't be afraid to check out other dealers if you can. They're is no reason you can't get the same car from another dealership and cancel your reservation. Good luck.

·
14 Posts

Best Regards,

EJ
We have a good experience buying and using the car. Have it for 5 months now and I have not even called the dealer after taking it home. As for CR list, I never believed that publication. From brown rice to car reviews, I don't think they know what they are talking about. I'm also a Tesla follower and how come that Tesla customer being the most satisfied have the second to the last satisfied customer. Same goes to Lincoln. And here is the best part: ( Charging from June 21 to present, more than 5,000 miles of driving, $88.41 total)
Product Rectangle Azure Font Material property

·
7 Posts
The comments by the original poster say a lot more about his personality and character than about the ID.4. Clearly waiting for delivery of a vehicle does not fit his expectations. He seems to be looking for as many problems as possible to fulfill his already formed opinion, rather than using critical thinking to filter and analyze all the comments his reading.

We have an ID.4 with about 8K miles on it. On a daily basis it is a delight to drive. The most comfortable vehicle we have ever owned. We drove it over 2K miles to Yosemite and back. The comfort level for the long trip was amazing. We did have "range anxiety" while driving in the area near Yosemite, but found chargers when we needed them.

The real hassle was using EA along I-5. About half of the EA stations required phone calls to EA to get them to work, taking up anywhere from 15 to 60 extra minutes. That frustrated us immensely. We stopped at several stations that had no fee, for example the free station in Yosemite. We just plugged in and they worked. We also had to stop at a station on the freeway that wasn't EA. We paid via credit card and that worked perfectly, as well.

Normal charging in our garage is wonderful. The cost per mile for the electricity is about 1/3 the cost of gas for our other vehicle. And, not stopping at gas stations.

The infotainment software is a work in progress, but it works fine. We have had zero quality issues or mechanical issues with the vehicle, so far.

We are completely delighted with our ID.4.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
399 Posts
I too never ordered a car online and then waited months for the delivery.
I'm on my third now. All EV's

I can't imagine why someone would order an ICE vehicle and wait for it, which is probably why I never did.

·
ID.4 AWD Pro S Gradient Scale Sliver/Black (waiting)
51 Posts
I have bought over 20 new cars since 1970. With two exceptions, every one (both US and foreign) was ordered EXACTLY the way I wanted it. I waited for the car to be built and shipped. When I spend thousands of dollars on a vehicle, I want it spec'd the way I want it. The wait is frustrating, yes, but I end up with what I want. Different strokes for different folks.

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
305 Posts
I too have always ordered the car to my spec and waited for it to be built and shipped.

Buying something the dealer has in stock is a good way to get fleeced,

·
8 Posts
I'm on my third now. All EV's

I can't imagine why someone would order an ICE vehicle and wait for it, which is probably why I never did.
I ordered a SAAB 9-3 Arc convertible in March and picked it up in Sweden in August. I could have bought one at the dealer in March but you know....Sweden.

·
1 Posts

Best Regards,

EJ
I know what an EV is but what is a “B”EV? Battery Electric Vehicle is my guess. But why not just say EV, especially here?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts