Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
261 Posts
Thanks, I understand its a matter of taste and not for everyone. I have always liked a clean and minimalist look. Ironically, people don't notice the badges missing because they assume they they are there, they just say car looks very good :) It makes for interesting conversations when they find out what's missing. I took off the badges myself with a magic eraser I bought from Amazon. IMHO it is the best and easiest way to remove the adhesive behind the badges without getting any scratches. Just watch some videos on Youtube for the technique, wash the car giving special attention to the badges, park the car in sun, use a hairdryer and floss to get the badge off, then let the eraser wheel do its "Magic" on the adhesive, remove any residual with goo gone, and then wash and wax. This was the first time I used a Magic Wheel Eraser due to the amount of adhesive left with the side badges. Boy I am glad I did, it was soo easy using the wheel and I will use it always going forward. It was a little unnerving at first, but I used a super slow speed, and took my time.
I was going back in forth between this cheaper wheel and the more expensive 3M wheel. This $12.99 wheel worked perfectly and I was very pleased with its performance.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018WG2XYE/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QYFQTP74B0JRSTRHT0Q8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, I'll order one of those erasers in. I think VW should stop badging trim levels. It's enough that they badge the manufacturer and the model name. I don't think Tesla even badges model name on some of their recent cars.
Also, maybe manufacturers could stop giving trim levels names, like FE, Pro, Pro S, Prestige, XLS, etc. It might be easier for someone buying a car if trim levels were named A, B, C, etc., without having to remember a bunch of gibberish. Sure, I understand, trim level names have something to do with marketing, so maybe they will continue.
But at least don't clutter up the outside of a car with useless trim level badges that cost money and time (more money) to apply and only raise the cost to the consumer. If the manufacturer feels they need to identify the trim level, then they can put a decal on the door jam where it is mostly hidden from view. Also, if the car is ever in an accident, then replacing badges raises repair costs.

·
2021 VW ID4 FE
128 Posts
I agree, I don’t understand the badging on the ID 4 other than 1st 🥇 Edition 😛. It’s typical in Germany to run with no badges to hide the performance of the car, but I can’t say that’s the reason with my ID 4 1st. I debaged my Tesla Dual Motor with performance upgrade that was a stealth car 😎.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
2,189 Posts
How different the left coast is from LI. ... None of my neighbors even knew it was an EV ...
Yeah, but even neighborhoods here have their EV pockets. Literally 2 dozen i3's inside about a half mile radius of me (my boys and I have been pinning them to a map as a game we call "I see an i3.") Only two ID.4s! But no Mach-e or Polestar owners I've noticed. Too many Teslas, Priuses, Volts and Bolts to count, and two Niros.

So maybe the ID.4 gets so much attention here because it's a new EV entry, not an EV everybody has seen already.

·
261 Posts
I agree, I don’t understand the badging on the ID 4 other than 1st 🥇 Edition 😛. It’s typical in Germany to run with no badges to hide the performance of the car, but I can’t say that’s the reason with my ID 4 1st. I debaged my Tesla Dual Motor with performance upgrade that was a stealth car 😎.
Right, one of the few badges I see on Teslas is "Dual Motor", and it's small. Most seem to have no badges except for the Tesla logo, a rather nice logo at that. The lack of badges doesn't seem to prevent people from buying Teslas though. Tesla also gives away free, plastic license plate holders that say "Model 3", for example, so if someone wants to display the model then all they have to do is ask. The Tesla license holders don't block out any portion of the plate numbers, whereas most of the dealer (Incl. VW) plate holders in Ca seem to block out part of the very bottom of numbers and letters. A few numbers and letters can be read incorrectly. Don't know why DMV doesn't crack down on this practice. First thing I do is ditch the dealer's ugly, illegal license plate holder. They generally overcharge the customer in some or many ways, so it doesn't make sense to advertise for them.

·
261 Posts
Yeah, but even neighborhoods here have their EV pockets. Literally 2 dozen i3's inside about a half mile radius of me (my boys and I have been pinning them to a map as a game we call "I see an i3.") Only two ID.4s! But no Mach-e or Polestar owners I've noticed. Too many Teslas, Priuses, Volts and Bolts to count, and two Niros.

So maybe the ID.4 gets so much attention here because it's a new EV entry, not an EV everybody has seen already.
No surprise on the number of i3's as they've been around for awhile. If you live in an area of Oakland that is near Berkeley then there are lots of steep, narrow winding roads with not much parking space that the i3 is made for.
Plus they were discounting i3's hugely for a time (maybe '17 or '18) through some channels. Nice that you see more ID.4's there than Mach-e's; ahem, I say that as an ID.4 tribe member. I've seen ID4's in Orinda, but almost nowhere else except at EA stations where they congregate. I drive btwn Orinda and SJ many days a week and maybe saw one on the freeway once. Tesla's all over the place, plus many trucks carrying them out from the Fremont plant.

·
131 Posts
First thing I do is ditch the dealer's ugly, illegal license plate holder. They generally overcharge the customer in some or many ways, so it doesn't make sense to advertise for them.
Funny you say that. My last car (not my ID.4 though) had dealer stickers and license frames. I told the sales manager to remove them before I took delivery. He said he had to leave them on. I said I'll gladly drive with his stickers IF he paid me $500 to advertise for him. He immediately took them off!:ROFLMAO:

·
525 Posts
For us the Ford just came with too many compromises, the styling being the least but still a factor. Ford's Options financing probably would have been the final nail in the coffin though, even had we liked the car and could get our hands on one, as it's just not a very competitive financing option.

It's not a lease, it's a negative equity financing option that give you the 'option' to turn in the car at the end, but the monthly pricing is quite high.

·
261 Posts
Stay safe and be patient...there are some gremlins with ID4 that are getting fixed with next update.
Have there been any software updates so far in the US? Will we be notified when there is an update? And will the notification advise us as to what was updated? I wonder if we will ever be able to look at a screen on the ID.4 and know what updates we have like we can do with Apple products. Maybe some EV's already have this capability, like the e--tron for example, I don't know. Transparency is a good thing....

·
1 Posts
My husband has the Mach-e and I just got my id4 Pro S. We love both of them and we continue to identify certain features that either Ford or VW did better.

The infotainment system on the id.4 is much more intuitive and the sun shade on the glass roof is a plus (Mach-e does not have this feature).

It is quite funny how many men would crowd around the Mach-e and gawk and ask questions about charging, horsepower, etc. Yesterday I came out of the grocery store and found 3 women crowded around my new VW and we’re asking questions. 😂

Happy to be an all electric family, now if they could just install more Electrify America stations in our area so we can truly take advantage of the 3 year free charging promotion.

·
700 Posts
My husband has the Mach-e and I just got my id4 Pro S. We love both of them and we continue to identify certain features that either Ford or VW did better.

The infotainment system on the id.4 is much more intuitive and the sun shade on the glass roof is a plus (Mach-e does not have this feature).

It is quite funny how many men would crowd around the Mach-e and gawk and ask questions about charging, horsepower, etc. Yesterday I came out of the grocery store and found 3 women crowded around my new VW and we’re asking questions. 😂

Happy to be an all electric family, now if they could just install more Electrify America stations in our area so we can truly take advantage of the 3 year free charging promotion.
Welcome to the group. Enjoy your new vehicle. (y) (y)

You made the right choice.

Font Rectangle Electric blue Logo Brand

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient (Kings Red) - Reserved 11/10/21
231 Posts
I am still waiting for the AWD Pro and that won't arrive until at least sometime next year. I have considered going the opposite direction and switching to the Mach E. I sat in the Mach E and found the seats comfortable. For looks, I think both cars look fine. Part of what has scared me off from the Mach E is exactly what you said. A YouTube reviewer mentioned that the Mach E was getting a lot of reactions and I would rather just have a car that is a little more anonymous. You have confirmed my fears.
Good luck finding a Mach-E without waiting 8+ months for a custom order. Dealers are marking up abandoned orders by $5-10K and not negotiating because the car sells.

ID.4 AWD Pro is a fantastic first EV for sure but yes there are glitches.

·
23 Posts
Good luck finding a Mach-E without waiting 8+ months for a custom order. Dealers are marking up abandoned orders by $5-10K and not negotiating because the car sells.

ID.4 AWD Pro is a fantastic first EV for sure but yes there are glitches.
I think this thread has turned me off from considering the Mach E and confirmed my instincts. I know the Mach E has bugs too. I think that I will be waiting for 8 plus months for my AWD Pro. Timing is not that important to me and I would almost prefer to get a new vehicle after this winter. I was told Volkswagen that no update on status will be given on my Pro until the beginning of next year. I could get one sooner if I upgrade to the AWD Pro S with the gradient package. I have not ruled the AWD Pro S but I will not upgrade to the gradient package. About the only feature that I would really want on the Pro S is the cornering lights because my Passat had unlit regions in certain situations at unlit corners where one had to make wide turns because you could make sure that you would not hit a curb. My friend indicated that the RWD Pro has this same problem. He lives in the country, so it is more of an issue for him. I am sure the Pro S has better things like seats, but that is not a strong incentive for me. Things like the light up logo are a disincentive for me to upgrading.

·
261 Posts
I think this thread has turned me off from considering the Mach E and confirmed my instincts. I know the Mach E has bugs too. I think that I will be waiting for 8 plus months for my AWD Pro. Timing is not that important to me and I would almost prefer to get a new vehicle after this winter. I was told Volkswagen that no update on status will be given on my Pro until the beginning of next year. I could get one sooner if I upgrade to the AWD Pro S with the gradient package. I have not ruled the AWD Pro S but I will not upgrade to the gradient package. About the only feature that I would really want on the Pro S is the cornering lights because my Passat had unlit regions in certain situations at unlit corners where one had to make wide turns because you could make sure that you would not hit a curb. My friend indicated that the RWD Pro has this same problem. He lives in the country, so it is more of an issue for him. I am sure the Pro S has better things like seats, but that is not a strong incentive for me. Things like the light up logo are a disincentive for me to upgrading.
For someone who doesn't have an ID.4 you sure know a lot about 'em. I agree with practically everything you say. Gradient is okay for someone who doesn't drive much and likes the look, but I drive maybe 25K miles a year so I want efficiency, comfort, and less chance of a tire failure. Your friend is right, adaptive headlights would be very helpful. Also, surround camera would be helpful if it was available in the US; that's because the fenders are unusually high on the ID.4 and so it's hard to perpendicular park centered and parallel to the lines. I find the cloth seats to be comfortable even though I have back issues. I prefer cloth as it seems to me there is less sliding around when going fast around curves/corners, and they don't get as cold. If I lived in snow country I'd probably want the AWD Pro as it only kicks in sometimes and so doesn't affect efficiency all that much. I'm neutral on the lighted logo, even though I realize it's just a gimmick and would draw more attention to the car. (For some reason it seems to be illegal in Germany).
I don't know what the market is like now, but in May I got tired of waiting for my Pro to come in, so I went around to dealers looking for a cancelled order. Yup, they were out there - had to pay MSRP though. Cancelled orders kept trickling in so I had to watch dealer websites for inventory and also check their lots. VW refunded my $500 deposit promptly. Disclaimer: I live in SF Bay Area so we may get more ID.4s than some parts of the country.

·
2021 VW ID4 FE
128 Posts
I was in a similar position back in July of this summer. I was trying to find a ID 4 Pro and couldn't find one in CT. I really wanted the additional $2250 CT rebate for vehicles with MSRP under $40K. I knew the vehicle would be down on features but it was such a good deal. Fortunately I negotiated a great price on a 1st edition with 300 miles and looking back I am glad I did. The power memory seats (massaging is very nice and my spouse is much shorter than me ) and hatch (foot control is cool) I really enjoy. The huge panoramic roof with shade creates 2 vehicles in one, and I will go weeks with it closed and vice versa. The dynamic headlights are outstanding, I would pay for them as well. 2 Level floor and ski pass thru are both options I enjoy. The white steering wheel and interior trim pieces I like much better than the horrible piano black, I would pay for those as well. I am a big screen person, so the bigger screen is nice. Cloth seats I didn't enjoy in my Bolt and that was an upgrade going to my TM3 that I wouldn't want to go back to. The 20"rims, silver trim and hitch I like but wouldn't necessarily pay for. The new and used car market really took off in the beginning of summer and hasn't stopped since. This makes purchasing a vehicle at this time in favor of the dealers. I think you are smart to wait, next year by summer there will be a surplus of EV vehicles thanks to all the new players and Tesla flooding the market with Y's coming out of Fremont and Austin. Keep checking on cars in your area, lots of deals fall thru and especially near the end of the month dealers have extra incentive. Good luck in your search.

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient (Kings Red) - Reserved 11/10/21
231 Posts
The new and used car market really took off in the beginning of summer and hasn't stopped since. This makes purchasing a vehicle at this time in favor of the dealers. I think you are smart to wait, next year by summer there will be a surplus of EV vehicles thanks to all the new players and Tesla flooding the market with Y's coming out of Fremont and Austin. Keep checking on cars in your area, lots of deals fall thru and especially near the end of the month dealers have extra incentive. Good luck in your search.
I personally think folks should wait until early/mid 2023. Tesla pushed back a large number of M3 and MYs orders by two months (my order too). Now wait times are 6 to 11 months. I suspect they had to ramp up for Model X and Model S production which they promised back in spring/summer.

·
261 Posts
Cloth seats I didn't enjoy in my Bolt and that was an upgrade going to my TM3 that I wouldn't want to go back to.
I've never heard anyone say that Bolt EV seats were comfortable no matter which trim level they got. I liked the two-tone grey/off-white color of the cloth seats of my LT more than the drab, solid grey, leather-look seats in the Premium though. Drove it 87k miles, but felt it had a somewhat long stopping distance and didn't do well when it hit depressions in the road causing it to sort of lurch into the air. Plus it looked like GM wasn't ever going to resolve the battery fire issue in a way that was fair to their customers (they finally did, but that was not until after they bought mine back). No regrets, I think the ID.4 is larger, safer, and more sophisticated - probably the best car I've owned. In fairness, overall the '17 Bolt was a good early attempt by GM.

·
2021 VW ID4 FE
128 Posts
I've never heard anyone say that Bolt EV seats were comfortable no matter which trim level they got. I liked the two-tone grey/off-white color of the cloth seats of my LT more than the drab, solid grey, leather-look seats in the Premium though. Drove it 87k miles, but felt it had a somewhat long stopping distance and didn't do well when it hit depressions in the road causing it to sort of lurch into the air. Plus it looked like GM wasn't ever going to resolve the battery fire issue in a way that was fair to their customers (they finally did, but that was not until after they bought mine back). No regrets, I think the ID.4 is larger, safer, and more sophisticated - probably the best car I've owned. In fairness, overall the '17 Bolt was a good early attempt by GM.
Bolt was the first EV over 200 miles of range and I liked a lot about it, narrow and small size, roomy, big screen with apple car play, zippy, and efficient if you stayed under 65mph. GM has dropped the ball on the bolt with this battery issue. The new bolts still only DC fast charge at 50kW and have the same LG setup as before. Its basically just a model refresh, that's not going to cut it against EV designed platforms such as the ID 4, Mach E's, EV6, Ioniq 5, they should have done that in 2019-20. My ID 4 FE was $5K more than my 2017 Bolt LT for a far better class of vehicle. I agree the seats sucked big time and GM knew it, but did nothing about it till the 2022. GM needs to oust Mary Barra ASAP, they are in trouble. VW should bring the ID 3 to the US with lackluster competition like the Bolt, Leaf, Kona, and Niro. It is a proper EV with a fantastic design and I want one please VW :giggle:

·
2021 VW ID4 FE
128 Posts
I personally think folks should wait until early/mid 2023. Tesla pushed back a large number of M3 and MYs orders by two months (my order too). Now wait times are 6 to 11 months. I suspect they had to ramp up for Model X and Model S production which they promised back in spring/summer.
Model X and S are a very small percentage of the deliveries and will be going forward. Model Y is on track to be the best selling vehicle in the world in 2023 and most profitable by 2022. Tesla moves at break neck speeds legacy manufactures can only dream of, assembling cars quicker (Mega Castings and structural battery packs will only improve that) and with less labor. They don't wait to introduce new mechanical or software improvements, their vehicles are constantly changing. I have no doubt they will have a handle on the delivery times/lower prices to purchase TM3 or TMY by summer 2022. They have addressed some of the semiconductor shortage by reprogramming their vehicles to accept additional types of semiconductors. What other company can do this?? They can adjust prices due to supply and demand due to selling directly to the consumer, another advantage over legacy auto. I have seen this before owning, buying, and recently selling a 2018 Tesla, I will wait till supply catches up to demand and I am a buyer again.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

·
"Einstein" - 2021 ID.4 AWD Pro S, Scale Silver
202 Posts
About the only feature that I would really want on the Pro S is the cornering lights because my Passat had unlit regions in certain situations at unlit corners where one had to make wide turns because you could make sure that you would not hit a curb. My friend indicated that the RWD Pro has this same problem. He lives in the country, so it is more of an issue for him.
I just got the AWD Pro S and love the adaptive headlights. Yes, they aren't the Europe-spec "Matrix LED" headlights (automatically adjusts lighting pattern for oncoming cars, etc.) but they are still adaptive and track the steering of the car which is totally awesome. Once you get adaptive headlights anything else sucks in comparison (except for the Matrix LEDs).

21 - 40 of 61 Posts