Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
261 Posts
I just got the AWD Pro S and love the adaptive headlights. Yes, they aren't the Europe-spec "Matrix LED" headlights (automatically adjusts lighting pattern for oncoming cars, etc.) but they are still adaptive and track the steering of the car which is totally awesome. Once you get adaptive headlights anything else sucks in comparison (except for the Matrix LEDs).
Right, adaptive headlights are the main item I miss on my Pro. They also did better in IIHS testing: FE and Pro S got Good rating vs. Acceptable on Pro.

·
525 Posts
I wish they would bring the ID.3 to US, but that's unlikely it seems given that they will no longer sell a regular Golf here either due to lack of overall demand. A GTI/R version MAYBE, but that doesn't seem likely to me either for a couple of years probably.

The next gen-Golf interior though looks like it was ripped right out of the ID family. 2022 Volkswagen Golf: Redesign Info & Release Date (carsdirect.com) LOL

·
261 Posts
VW should bring the ID 3 to the US with lackluster competition like the Bolt, Leaf, Kona, and Niro
You might be right on the ID.3 being the best of those 5 cars. Also, it seems to me GM did go over to the dark side for awhile when they advocated slowing down proposed fuel efficiency goals. And that cost them as the new generation Bolt and Bolt EUV should have come out at least a year sooner, even with Covid. They may be getting their act together now, and other legacy makers like Stellantis are making big efforts to produce more EVs. And we shouldn't forget, some of the Chinese companies are doing really well. For now Tesla is still tops though.... They have the best EV engineering from what I can glean. Soon it will be a happy time for EV buyers.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
2,189 Posts
I wish they would bring the ID.3 to US, but that's unlikely ...
BMW left a hole when they discontinued the i3 in the US. There is definitely room for a small German engineered EV city car, and I presume the ID.3 would sell for considerably less than the $45k+ i3 sticker.

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient (Kings Red) - Reserved 11/10/21
231 Posts
BMW left a hole when they discontinued the i3 in the US. There is definitely room for a small German engineered EV city car, and I presume the i3 would sell for considerably less than the $45k+ i3 sticker.
It's called the Mini Cooper SE. Same guts. Starts at $30K and is eligible for the $7500 tax credit. However we all love to customize and when you start adding options it easily gets to $37K and is no longer than amazing deal with a 110 mile range.

·
2,189 Posts
It's called the Mini Cooper SE. Same guts. ...
Ah? Oooh... Ugh.

Interesting. Updated tech. Features missing from the i3...

... but looks like an ICE, front drive, cramped back seat, cluttered cockpit, low range, I'm not feelin' it. I'd have to be already in the mini camp to want to drive that car.

I'll check one out in person. Maybe I'd have similar reservations about the ID.3. I was certainty no fan of the i3 before I looked one over on the inside and really gave consideration to what it is / what it offers

·
231 Posts
Ah? Oooh... Ugh.

... but looks like an ICE, cramped back seat, cluttered cockpit, low range, I'm not feelin' it. I'd have to be already in the mini camp to want to drive that car.

I'll check one out in person. Maybe I'd have similar reservations about the ID.3. I was certainty no fan of the i3 before I looked one over on the inside and really gave consideration to what it is / what it offers
Almost the same hp (181) as the ID.4 Pro RWD (201) and weighs at least a 1000 lbs less. Hothatch! It looks like a pure joy to drive around twisty roads.

The range is just a tad too short. 150 mile - maybe I could justify.

Given how the Niro EV and Kona EV are priced... I could imagine a ID.3 around $35K and at that price point... you might as well buy an ID.4 Pro RWD. They need to build an cheapo EV with zero fancy driver assist tech (no need for expensive sensors/cameras and electrics) that is used for commuting, weekend drives, and short trips. I'd get one for sure.

·
525 Posts
Ah? Oooh... Ugh.

... but looks like an ICE, front drive, cramped back seat, cluttered cockpit, low range, I'm not feelin' it. I'd have to be already in the mini camp to want to drive that car.

Munroe did a pretty good overview of it actually from an engineering perspective. It is an ICE conversion not a ground-up EV. Battery is a T shape like you'd see in other ICE cars with a transmission hump, etc.

Usual Monroe disclaimers apply about their 'opinions'.

·
2,189 Posts
Munroe did a pretty good overview of it actually from an engineering perspective. It is an ICE conversion not a ground-up EV. Battery is a T shape like you'd see in other ICE cars with a transmission hump, etc.

Usual Monroe disclaimers apply about their 'opinions'.
I originally failed to mention the Mini's front wheel drive (edited in). My first look into EVs came because of the 250 mile Kia eNiro, and after test driving it, immediately rejected it because of poor manners due to torque steer. But it was my path into the RWD i3, and eventually the ID.4. Front wheel drive with that much torque is just not fun.

·
525 Posts
I originally failed to mention the Mini's front wheel drive (edited in). My first look into EVs came because of the 250 mile Kia eNiro, and after test driving it, immediately rejected it because of poor manners due to torque steer. But it was my path into the RWD i3, and eventually the ID.4. Front wheel drive with that much torque is just not fun.
Yeah, you will note the same on the Mini from what I read if you really 'get on it'. Not unique to the EV version, I had a S version with a 6 speed Getrag for about a year or so before my daughter was born. It had MONSTER torque steer when I floored in, which was really 'fun' with a stick. LOL

·
2 Posts
I had been the owner of a Mach E Premium AWD in Red, and the car was very good. It didn't quite have the build quality of the BMW or Porsche I had previous to it, but it was fast and fun. I decided to sell it because I could make a profit after 6 months and 6,000 miles, and I had just come off an epic road trip around Lake Michigan and knew it was about to sit in a garage for the better part of the next 6 months. Also, the polarizing Mustang name and styling seemed to elicit a reaction from everyone, and I got tired of the attention from the many admirers and many jerks alike. I learned that ICE Mustang owners and F150 drivers are an easily agitated bunch. Plenty of jerks owning Mach E's as well.

So now I'm on to an ID.4 Pro S AWD, which I expect to receive at the end of this month! After a test-drive of the RWD version I quickly learned this is the car for me! The styling is beautiful but a bit less ostentatious than the Mustang -- and I give up nothing in terms of the creature comforts I had been used to, while adding a few additional niceties. This is a car that will be a source of solitude on my mind-numbing tollway commute and a reliable partner on a cross-country adventure.

I cannot wait for this new chapter to begin!
How much did you sell the MME for and were you able to make a profit? I like the ID.4 more, but in reviewing the used prices, the MME seems to command a higher resale (above MSRP) and might be a better overall financial decision.

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
How much did you sell the MME for and were you able to make a profit? I like the ID.4 more, but in reviewing the used prices, the MME seems to command a higher resale (above MSRP) and might be a better overall financial decision.
After tax and everything my MME cost me $62k. I sold for $57k but I keep the tax credit. So I had it for 6 months and 6,000 miles and netted $2,500 after-tax profit. I once had a finance professor say that when you own stock, every day you don’t sell you are effectively buying it again at the current price. For me, the market price of my MME became more than it was worth to me, so I sold. If you can get a new MME at MSRP it is a fantastic deal.

·
2 Posts
After tax and everything my MME cost me $62k. I sold for $57k but I keep the tax credit. So I had it for 6 months and 6,000 miles and netted $2,500 after-tax profit. I once had a finance professor say that when you own stock, every day you don’t sell you are effectively buying it again at the current price. For me, the market price of my MME became more than it was worth to me, so I sold. If you can get a new MME at MSRP it is a fantastic deal.
that's a nice profit. I presume is this for the extended battery pack, correct?

·
231 Posts
but in reviewing the used prices, the MME seems to command a higher resale (above MSRP) and might be a better overall financial decision.
Good lucking finding a MME without $5K markup. The GT trims command $10K. How do I know? I have two MME orders (Cyber Orange and Grabber Blue Premiums - will only accept one) and have been in contact with multiple dealers over in-stock cars.

I'm expecting delivery on my orders to be as "early" as July 2022 given people have been waiting 8-9 months for theirs.

Finding the car you want is step one. The next part is the waiting game.

·
17 Posts
Those are rather humorous reasons to sell a Mach E. No worries, hardly anyone notices the ID.4 - it just sort of blends in with other SUVs, which is maybe a good thing. Many folks don't realize it's an electric car even! I just got my blue carpool lane decals (SF Bay Area) so that might make a few do a double take. I seldom notice ID4s on the road, but they do congregate at EA stations. I use it mostly for commuting on freeways where the benefits of large, wide outside mirrors really show up. (Disliked the mirrors on Mach E.) 12K miles and I'm likin' it a lot. And no chrome strips or chrome ornamentation on it, not even around the windows! I'm considering taking the trim line badges off the sides though.
It actually grabs attention at night. At drive thru and around commercial area. A family was starring at it as we park and asked us "Is that the new ID4? It looks awesome.". The LED lamp and VW logo looks like a super hero mask at night.

·
261 Posts
It actually grabs attention at night. At drive thru and around commercial area. A family was starring at it as we park and asked us "Is that the new ID4? It looks awesome.". The LED lamp and VW logo looks like a super hero mask at night.
I haven't seen a Pro S at night yet, but I imagine the front must be a light show. Alas, my Pro isn't as exciting....

·
902 Posts
Front view of a white Mach-e looks like a pig with slanted eyes, silly smile and pig nose 🤣😂🤣.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window

·
231 Posts
This is a car that will be a source of solitude on my mind-numbing tollway commute and a reliable partner on a cross-country adventure.
Now that I own a Mach-E... I would not recommend it as a family road-trip SUV. The ride is pretty harsh and the seats firm. Fun though. It drives like a Model 3 and can zip around city traffic - while having some decent cargo space.

In terms of ride comfort, the ID.4 definitely is up there followed by the Model Y (if you think this ride is harsh... try the Mach-E). I remember driving over potholes with the ID.4 and feeling nothing.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts