Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
PRO-S Gradient in Dusk Blue Metallic with Black interior/Tan inserts
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chargepoint and Juicebox are out of their 40amp units. List as "Backordered". FWIW, gets a good review from Tom Moloughney, and the builder mistreats it the way the old Bic Pen commercials did back in the 1960's (yes, I'm geezin'). BETTER prices, tough build and can be set to your choice of amp size. Comes also in WHITE and BLACK. Great reviews. I bought one, and they're in stock. Smart Charger. We'll see. Worth a look.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021) and ID.4 Pro/S (acquired 8/20/21)
333 Posts
Chargepoint and Juicebox are out of their 40amp units. List as "Backordered". FWIW, gets a good review from Tom Moloughney, and the builder mistreats it the way the old Bic Pen commercials did back in the 1960's (yes, I'm geezin'). BETTER prices, tough build and can be set to your choice of amp size. Comes also in WHITE and BLACK. Great reviews. I bought one, and they're in stock. Smart Charger. We'll see. Worth a look.
Great charger. Have one and it’s been flawless.

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Question for you... if I may since mine is simply "on order" at the moment: What app are you using to control it? Thanks!

·
2021 ID.4 PRO S AWD
258 Posts
No one has mentioned having it it yet. I think that backorder status is more like preorder. Plenty of us have the Classic version, which works fine.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021) and ID.4 Pro/S (acquired 8/20/21)
333 Posts
Question for you... if I may since mine is simply "on order" at the moment: What app are you using to control it? Thanks!
None. Set the car for what you want, plug it in and it works. If I want to check charging status or time left, I use Car-net to check.

·
2021 First Edition
198 Posts
Just replaced my ancient 10+ year old charger with the basic Grizzl-E. Set it to 32A to accommodate my 10+ year old circuit and it works like a charm. Simple, but very well built. Should last at least a decade.

·
White Pro S
459 Posts
I called grizzl-e this afternoon while setting up my classic, as I'd noticed that the mainboards of the classic and smart chargers are identical. Figured maybe there will be an upgrade path, which they confirmed there will in fact be in the future. Good news for folks who couldn't wait for their smart version to come out like me.

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S Dusk Blue
132 Posts
I just put an order in for the smart version. Is it easy to set the schedule and to change the amperage? I'm planning on upgrading the breaker for my EV soon, so I would like to up the current to 40 amps as well.

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Um.. in my case it turned out to be premature for my utility. So I really can't answer that. What I can say is that unlike some other chargers (which are mostly out of stock!), Grizzl-e doesn't have its own app... for better or worse. So there's a bit of an issue there. You will be able to configure it on AmpUp... but the main purpose there is to share your charger with the wider world... and get paid for it. It's primarily a commercial app for commercial chargers, so I uninstalled it. So basically... right now, I can't really give better info than this. Sorry. Best of luck... and keep me posted on what you discover.

·
White Pro S
459 Posts
you can set the amperage to multiple settings, yes. i originally used mine on a 30 amp circuit so set the dip switches accordingly, but now am on a 50 amp circuit running the full 40 amp.

·
250 Posts
I think there is some confusion in this thread due to the title. The Grizzl-E is not a smart charger. It is set up with dip switches and then you just plug in and charge. The United Chargers Alpha is a smart charger with a touch screen built on the Grizzl-E charger but it is not in production yet. It is only available to Beta testers but should be out soon and yes, it is available for preorders, not back order...yet.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
331 Posts
I got a Grizzl-e dumb charger, and the one I got was a dud. HOWEVER, their customer service sent a replacement charger out with absolutely zero fuss, so they got that going for them.

·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, the Grizzl-e IS a smart charger. The SMART can be controlled by an app and by the utility using OCP protocols - which is what many require in order to allow you access to the cheapest charging rates. My utility isn't doing this YET with Grizzl-E but will likely next round. Currently, I can use time-of-day billing with a smart meter.... but that is an indiscriminate rate and applies to all electric in the home - not just the charger. The SMART charger rates by giving the utility access to controling the electricity apply ONLY to the power going to the car's charging... while the house remains on other billing.

United Chargers' ALPHA unit dresses the process up with a touch screen. It's a fancier unit, and appeals to the techno dudes. What appealed to me was the owner's inner channeling of John Cameron Swaize's 1960's era Bic Pen commercials: Running over the unit with a truck, an ATV, dunking it in an ice fishing hole, etc. I don't think he'll be doing the same thing with the ALPHA.

·
132 Posts
I just ordered a Grizzl-e Smart the other day. Anyone know if SDGE does OCP managed charging and is there an app recommendation to use?

·
Dusk Blue FE
107 Posts
I got a Grizzl-e dumb charger, and the one I got was a dud. HOWEVER, their customer service sent a replacement charger out with absolutely zero fuss, so they got that going for them.
Same thing happened to my Grizzl-E, and I was pleased how painless the return was. The replacement has worked fine.

·
2021 ID.4 PRO S AWD
258 Posts
Reactions: Skirmish

·
132 Posts
I received my Grizzl-e Smart charger today. After a few hiccups, I was able to get it to working. The one that I received looks like it had already been used. The bolts were a little stripped already, the WiFi daughter card was not properly fitted to the motherboard, and there are a few small dings on the outside of the case. The cable and the connector both look to be in immaculate condition however.

If you don't have a server pre-set, then don't change the information at the bottom when you set up the WiFi for the first time. If you make a mistake in configuring it, you can unplug it, flip the #1 dip switch which is the reset switch, wait a minute, and then unplug it again and then plug it back in and try over. If you need to switch servers later you will need to repeat this process again.

Their website to configure the device is totally unintuitive and unrecommended by me. I will try to use an alternative app or website and report back if it's any better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts