Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,370 Posts
I’m having trouble finding the VIN in the code. But also what good is the VIN again?
Check with your dealer. The VIN is the Vehicle Identification Number. Every vehicle has a unique number that identifies it and different characters in that number denote different equipment, colors, etc.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts
Also as the VIN is assigned relatively late in the factory assembly line build it assures you that your ID.4 has actually been built.

btw: the Commission number assured that factory production control slotted the build, and it is later used at the dealership to activate myVW service. Both the VIN and Commission numbers will be listed on the "Monroney sheet" affixed to your window (aka therefore "window sticker"). Of course the VIN is located in several places about the vehicle as well.
I’m having trouble finding the VIN in the code. But also what good is the VIN again?

·
789 Posts
The VIN isn’t in the web page code. You have to ask your dealer for it. It can be decoded to tell you a bunch of details about the car’s model, model year, origin, and configuration.

If nothing else, it reassures you that the car is produced and is in fact real.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Vin # used to show on the web page last year, however it no longer does.

Status codes as compiled by those much wiser than me.

Font Screenshot Multimedia Number Communication Device

·
135 Posts
Ah, but is that the 'layman's' definition of theory or the scientific use of the word?

Reactions: Plant Peon

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
131 Posts
My wheel of torture just moved to 20-1... and I came here looking for the order tracking spreadsheet and found this thread at the top of my list with all the ship info... I learn something new every day!!! Thanks to those who put that document together... now I have something else to obsessively look at every day to see where my car is and I appreciate this forum more and more every day.

·
32 Posts
I reserved August 9, 2021 and locked August 19, 2021, AWD Pro S non gradient moonstone. The website says mid 2022 but the web developer says est. delivery August-October 2022.
I found out today that there is a delay until July to install the latest software update (3.1?). This will include OTA capability. I am confused why they must hold my Awd pro s gradient at the port which arrived around 4/30. Why not ship the car to the dealership and have them install the update? Even if it's July, it would save the time to get it through customs and ground shipment. I ordered a Glacier White on Aug 2021 & locked Sept 2021.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,513 Posts
Interesting. Did this news come from your dealer or directly from Volkswagen? We're seeing a few revised dates thrown around on the forum today, and as far as I know this is the first time anyone has officially "confirmed" the 2022 port hold is due to awaiting software, something I've suspected as none have been delivered in the US yet (that I am aware of, anyway).

VW would want to install software at port because it's cheaper for them then to pay dealerships and tie up service bays.

But I am also getting the sense VW does not want 2.3 or 2.4 software "out in the wild" in the US. 2022s have been delivered in Europe with 2.3, and now apparently with 3.0.

I'm going to get Jessica Fletcher and Colombo on this ASAP because I really really want to know what's going on behind closed doors at VW.

·
117 Posts
The only reason to hold it a port until July would be that the software will not be ready until July. Which does not make a lot of sense. Unless they are coming up with a software update that will fix multiple issues but needs a few weeks to release.

·
789 Posts
The only reason to hold it a port until July would be that the software will not be ready until July. Which does not make a lot of sense. Unless they are coming up with a software update that will fix multiple issues but needs a few weeks to release.
At this point it’s only 45 days until July 1. It was 25 days between when my car arrived at the port of Davisville and the day I took delivery, and I know I’ve read of others here whose cars were held for quality control at a port for even longer — 5 or 6 weeks or more. So July doesn’t sound completely implausible if it’s waiting to get software installed, esp. if there are dozens or hundreds of vehicles to upgrade. And yes, it’s much easier and cheaper for VW to do this en masse and to control the quality of the upgrade process at a port processing facility than delivering the cars to dealers and then having them do it. As many have discovered already, VW dealers have varying degrees of knowledge about how to service ID.4s.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts
As I noted elsewhere my salesman confirmed port-hold for s/w update, similar to our FE's over a year ago.

VW, as other marques, utilize port technical subcontractors who have the necessary equipment, expertise and training to do same. As we know not all dealership service bays are so well endowed and just easier to have them all done in port.

Of course current owners will have them done in-dealership so the necessary equipment and training will have to be provided (at my recent one-year service they had difficulty resetting the service reminder so am a bit concerned ...).
I found out today that there is a delay until July to install the latest software update (3.1?). This will include OTA capability. I am confused why they must hold my Awd pro s gradient at the port which arrived around 4/30. Why not ship the car to the dealership and have them install the update? Even if it's July, it would save the time to get it through customs and ground shipment. I ordered a Glacier White on Aug 2021 & locked Sept 2021.

·
Super Moderator
2021 FE Mythos Black
2,370 Posts
Of course current owners will have them done in-dealership so the necessary equipment and training will have to be provided (at my recent one-year service they had difficulty resetting the service reminder so am a bit concerned ...).
My dealer had to have my friend's ID.4 towed to another dealer because they didn't have the equipment to diagnose his car.

·
32 Posts
Interesting. Did this news come from your dealer or directly from Volkswagen? We're seeing a few revised dates thrown around on the forum today, and as far as I know this is the first time anyone has officially "confirmed" the 2022 port hold is due to awaiting software, something I've suspected as none have been delivered in the US yet (that I am aware of, anyway).

VW would want to install software at port because it's cheaper for them then to pay dealerships and tie up service bays.

But I am also getting the sense VW does not want 2.3 or 2.4 software "out in the wild" in the US. 2022s have been delivered in Europe with 2.3, and now apparently with 3.0.

I'm going to get Jessica Fletcher and Colombo on this ASAP because I really really want to know what's going on behind closed doors at VW.
This information was obtained through VW, not the dealership. The dealership doesn't know anything (apparently) and communication has been dismal. I only can hope that they can get this resolved faster but my ETA is July - Sept 2022 which tells me it could be later than sooner. I am pissed!

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Could it be that VW is looking for a big 3rd quarter to get them up higher on the charts with competitors? I imagine this current 2nd quarter is pretty dismal for VW.

3rd quarter sales could be huge for VW with all the after July 1st deliveries of 2022 models and maybe even some September Chattanooga 2023 models to add in.

·
32 Posts
Could it be that VW is looking for a big 3rd quarter to get them up higher on the charts with competitors? I imagine this current 2nd quarter is pretty dismal for VW.

3rd quarter sales could be huge for VW with all the after July 1st deliveries of 2022 models and maybe even some September Chattanooga 2023 models to add in.
Anything is possible at this point. Again, no transparency which is the worst part.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts