Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
White Pro S
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a hard time opening the driver's door? Seems like every time I stop the car and get out I need to pull the handle three times before it actually properly releases the door. Am I doing it wrong, or is there something up with my door?

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
119 Posts
You may be running into a side effect of the electric door latch. Takes a bit to get used to, but the handle only needs to be pulled a small bit for the electrics to kick in. Pull too far and the mechanical linkage gets used, which can cause something similar to what you're describing.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
221 Posts
You may be running into a side effect of the electric door latch. Takes a bit to get used to, but the handle only needs to be pulled a small bit for the electrics to kick in. Pull too far and the mechanical linkage gets used, which can cause something similar to what you're describing.
To expand on what xcaliburinhand has said, if you pull too far the mechanical lever is used and by design, you will have to pull it fully again to open the door. The best thing I have found to do is to push a little bit against the door and pull the latch halfway (right up until there is resistance). The electronic latch will open the door just fine. Takes some getting used to. I think the key takeaway is the design decision to require you to pull the latch fully a second time if you pull it fully the first time instead of using the electronic latch.

·
8 Posts
Am I the only one that cannot stand this? It makes no sense to me. Sure maybe I'll eventually adjust, but what about everyone else that rides in my car and doesn't know any better? What if there's an emergency and I need to exit the vehicle immediately but because I pull too hard, I'm locked in?

This is like... mind blowing to me that they wouldn't fix this.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
331 Posts
Am I the only one that cannot stand this? It makes no sense to me. Sure maybe I'll eventually adjust, but what about everyone else that rides in my car and doesn't know any better? What if there's an emergency and I need to exit the vehicle immediately but because I pull too hard, I'm locked in?

I'm not going to lie, I thought I was just a crazy person who somehow managed to muck up the simple task of opening his door until I saw this thread.

·
212 Posts
To expand on what xcaliburinhand has said, if you pull too far the mechanical lever is used and by design, you will have to pull it fully again to open the door. The best thing I have found to do is to push a little bit against the door and pull the latch halfway (right up until there is resistance). The electronic latch will open the door just fine. Takes some getting used to. I think the key takeaway is the design decision to require you to pull the latch fully a second time if you pull it fully the first time instead of using the electronic latch.
Thank you and xcaliburinhand for the info. I, too, thought I didn't know how to open a door after all these years.

·
White Pro S
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Agree. It's kind of dumb. Works great for the outside doors but unless you pull while pushing just so it's a pain.

That said owning VWs for thirty years from the last 40 years of models has taught me that it's just not a VW unless there's a fucking trick to opening (or in the case of the b4 passats, closing them in winter weather) the doors.

·
325 Posts
Thank you thank you thank you!! This has been driving me nuts!

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
1,026 Posts

I felt like this at first, also because of a few other quirks. Then I learned that the ID4 really prefers a lighter touch on everything and a slightly slower pace. It's sort of refreshing now.

For opening doors, I place my elbow on the door armrest (which naturally pushes out ever so slightly) and lightly pull the handle. Works every time.
For other things, like swiping the infotainment screens, I learned to avoid jerky moves.

Which brings me to "learn": None of our passengers have got stuck on this yet, or even remarked on it. Somehow it just works when you're in someone else's new car and don't yank and jerk, maybe out of respect? It also reminds me that the most negative YouTube reviewers were impatient and jerky across the board.

·
325 Posts
Which brings me to "learn": None of our passengers have got stuck on this yet, or even remarked on it. Somehow it just works when you're in someone else's new car and don't yank and jerk, maybe out of respect? It also reminds me that the most negative YouTube reviewers were impatient and jerky across the board.
My wife has not had an issue with this even once. I know, because she hasn't commented on it, and if there is anyone who is going let me know when something is wrong it's my wife!

·
8 Posts
I felt like this at first, also because of a few other quirks. Then I learned that the ID4 really prefers a lighter touch on everything and a slightly slower pace. It's sort of refreshing now.

For opening doors, I place my elbow on the door armrest (which naturally pushes out ever so slightly) and lightly pull the handle. Works every time.
For other things, like swiping the infotainment screens, I learned to avoid jerky moves.

That's surprising. Myself, my husband, my mom, and his mom have all had continuous trouble with it. I still haven't figured out the magic touch two weeks into using it. I try light touch, slow, fast... It feels almost random somehow. Regardless... it just doesn't seem like a feature that has any benefit

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
142 Posts
Haha. To me it is actually too easy to open. You slightly move the handle and the electronic switch releases...unlike a normal old ICE car, but I can see everyone having trouble trying to open it like an older vehicle without electronics. The trick is to be gentle unlike older vehicles

·
Dusk Blue FE
103 Posts

I agree, a light touch works better . . . until you want to close a door from the outside. Several times, I have opened and closed the rear passenger door to toss an item on the seat, before driving away. A block later, I notice the door open warning on the dash. The doors require a firm push to close. For some of my passengers, that turns into a slam.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
434 Posts
That's surprising. Myself, my husband, my mom, and his mom have all had continuous trouble with it. I still haven't figured out the magic touch two weeks into using it. I try light touch, slow, fast... It feels almost random somehow. Regardless... it just doesn't seem like a feature that has any benefit
I wonder if your car has a fault with the mechanism or maybe it wasn't calibrated quite right or something...mine feels perfectly natural to me and my wife, despite the "futuristic" mechanism.

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
228 Posts
to not go ahead of VoA, but would like to say there is a small recall here for a low amount of ID.4 about the door latches that are not unlatching properly. recall pop-ups on individual cars when reading the car at the dealer and/or after corresponding with VW Wolfsburg [VW HQ]

Reactions: plh

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
1,026 Posts
Am I the only one on this board who doesn't have issues such as this (or most any other for that matter) with the ID.4? My wife hasn't either and as FredT's I would know about it is she did. 🤣
Nope. I am another one.
I need to qualify: The timed charging issue is now well documented, but I have a workaround. I had a computer glitch once, but it never came back.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts