Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 FE - Blue
9 Posts
I'm also having an issue with the passenger door not unlocking when getting in the car. Does it just not unlock at the same time as the drivers door? Also, if I don't get a door completely closed, I generally can't get it to open again so I can fix it. I end up having to push it closed which takes a bit of force. Is it just me?

·
White Pro S
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
to not go ahead of VoA, but would like to say there is a small recall here for a low amount of ID.4 about the door latches that are not unlatching properly. recall pop-ups on individual cars when reading the car at the dealer and/or after corresponding with VW Wolfsburg [VW HQ]
When I pull the latch (ever so slightly) and the door pops open a little, should I be able to push it the rest of the way? Because mine stops there and I have to pull the latch again to release, or use my elbow while I pull the first time. That seems wrong.

·
325 Posts
When I pull the latch (ever so slightly) and the door pops open a little, should I be able to push it the rest of the way? Because mine stops there and I have to pull the latch again to release, or use my elbow while I pull the first time. That seems wrong.
Usually. If I unlatch and push to open in one movement, it seems to always work. If I unlatch and wait a moment, it will most of the time work, but once in a while it will not. I can't figure out why it doesn't work in those situations, because the sound it is making seems to be the same.

·
45 Posts
I'm also having an issue with the passenger door not unlocking when getting in the car. Does it just not unlock at the same time as the drivers door? Also, if I don't get a door completely closed, I generally can't get it to open again so I can fix it. I end up having to push it closed which takes a bit of force. Is it just me?
I was initially noticing this earlier. There is a setting in the door menu that allows for the door to unlock on one side of the car, just the door initially approached, or all doors when the vehicle senses your key in proximity. Had to switch to all doors because unfortunately, VW did not make unlocking the doors manually from the inside...possible?

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
119 Posts
VW did not make unlocking the doors manually from the inside...possible?
Lock button on the armrest. Tap twice (re-lock all doors, unlock all doors), passenger side doors will be unlocked.

·
8 Posts
to not go ahead of VoA, but would like to say there is a small recall here for a low amount of ID.4 about the door latches that are not unlatching properly. recall pop-ups on individual cars when reading the car at the dealer and/or after corresponding with VW Wolfsburg [VW HQ]
Ah, thank you for this. I'll check with them when I go in for my window tinting later this week

·
Premium Member
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
483 Posts
Am I the only one on this board who doesn't have issues such as this (or most any other for that matter) with the ID.4? My wife hasn't either and as FredT's I would know about it is she did. 🤣
Same here. one or two glitches that reset after power cycle and no problems. I don't use timed charging and am with @ChristophW in the ABC camp! Extremely happy

·
2021 ID.4 FE - Blue
9 Posts
I was initially noticing this earlier. There is a setting in the door menu that allows for the door to unlock on one side of the car, just the door initially approached, or all doors when the vehicle senses your key in proximity. Had to switch to all doors because unfortunately, VW did not make unlocking the doors manually from the inside...possible?
Thank you for the info. I thought I'd looked through all the settings for this but didn't find anything. Where are the door settings found?

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
25 Posts
Does anyone else have a hard time opening the driver's door? Seems like every time I stop the car and get out I need to pull the handle three times before it actually properly releases the door. Am I doing it wrong, or is there something up with my door?
[/QUOT
Does anyone else have a hard time opening the driver's door? Seems like every time I stop the car and get out I need to pull the handle three times before it actually properly releases the door. Am I doing it wrong, or is there something up with my door?
People getting out of my ID.4 FE were having difficulty getting out of the front passenger side door. It would hang up partially / barely open during attempting to open it most times, requiring that the release be let go and pulled back again inside the car, and then it would open completely. I also found after some experimentation that another workaround, applying slight outward pressure on the door before pulling the inside release will open it every time without it hanging. From the outside about 30% of the time, it would hang during opening at the same barely open point, with the latch catching. None of the others doors on my ID.4 are behaving in this way and are totally reliable and operate exactly as expected from the inside and outside. I took the ID.4 to my dealer yesterday, and they contacted Technical Assistance VTA and subsequently attempted an adjustment of 1.5mm (in) to the latch mechanism, but that did not solve the issue, so they have consulted with Technical Assistance VTA (TB-784399) again, and ordered another handle mechanism for the front passenger door. Part number appears to be 4K1-837-016-N (Description Latch). Unfortunately, there is no ETA for that part, so it may be awhile before I get a complete repair on this. Everything else on ID.4 is working properly, and is getting higher mi/KWh than expected. Overall I am very pleased with the ID.4. This is my second BEV, coming from a 2019 Chevrolet Bolt. ID.4 FE, SN 18XX.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,917 Posts
It's likely flight experience spillover, with myriad items to properly shut down and verify, so I've never tried to open my door with my foot still on the brake. Hence I've never seen this issue. I've not had hardly any issues for that matter other than the few software-reset items we've all discussed. So I guess I must just innately use the vehicle as German-engineering expected. 🤷‍♂️ Note: I tend to 'over engineer' projects, so .... ;)
It may not apply to everyone, but I was experiencing this same thing with the doors and then I consciously started releasing my foot from the brake before trying the latch and it totally resolved the issue. No more multiple attempts to unlatch!

·
68 Posts
Seems I've gotten used to one-hand unlatch+open in my last few cars... well, every one I've owned since 1972 anyway. In most cars the handle is in a position where, when my fingers fully unlatch it, my palm is in an ideal spot to push the door panel and swing the door open.
In the driver's seat I've got a big heavy door and a reduced upper-body rotation to avoid the steering wheel. In the passenger seat I've got a heavy door but I rotate my torso toward the door and thus get a better angle for pressing the door open with a light touch on the latch. In the rear seats I've got a lighter door -- but, first try from the driver's side, ran into the same problem and COULD NOT OPEN THE DOOR AT ALL. I got out fine via the other passenger door, but I can imagine a kid getting pretty upset, or an adult getting miffed that I may have engaged the child lock on 'em.

The tips to elbow-press the door prior to pulling the latch, and to reach my right hand across for a 2-handed opening, both work fine. They're just, after 50 years doing it one way, counter-intuitive. I dunno, maybe most big-car doors are like this.

This thread saved me a trip to the dealer (so far anyway, I still might ask 'em to check it out).

I did not notice this at all in 2 FE test drives in May. Maybe I was doing 2-handed opening due to the newness of the experience.

·
68 Posts
Any chance you still had your foot on the brake? apparently it influences things.
I tried with and without; it didn't correlate for me. It was all down to applying sufficient pressure to the door panel dring the initial latch pull in my tests.

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
25 Posts
I tried with and without; it didn't correlate for me. It was all down to applying sufficient pressure to the door panel dring the initial latch pull in my tests.
Brake pedal / no brake pedal didn't make any difference for my front passenger-side door that is hanging up. It does open up properly if I first apply outward pressure on the door before actuating the latch, but the other 3 doors don't require that, so I am getting it fixed by the dealer (whenever the new latch becomes available).

·
208 Posts
I have the same door issue and I think it is unacceptable and a safety issue. This needs to be fixed. I will bring mine to the dealer to it fixed. A door needs to open when the latch is released, nothing else is acceptable.
Erhard

·
Super Moderator
1,438 Posts
I hope you are all registering cases with VW Customer Care 1-800-822-8987

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
25 Posts
Latch is not supposed to work like that. Only one of my 4 doors (Front PaX) does exactly that - requires slight pressure on door before unlatching. All others open first pull and not dependent on applying slight pressure to door first. Dealer just called to tell me replacement latch for the door is in (4+ weeks to get it). Heading there Monday for the replacement along with the wiring bundle movement under the rear bumper for the left / rear sensors intermittently reporting sensor out of view on long trips (>45 mins driving). Dealer was very familiar with the wiring bundle movement possibly being needed when they called about the replacement latch.

·
208 Posts
Latch is not supposed to work like that. Only one of my 4 doors (Front PaX) does exactly that - requires slight pressure on door before unlatching. All others open first pull and not dependent on applying slight pressure to door first. Dealer just called to tell me replacement latch for the door is in (4+ weeks to get it). Heading there Monday for the replacement along with the wiring bundle movement under the rear bumper for the left / rear sensors intermittently reporting sensor out of view on long trips (>45 mins driving). Dealer was very familiar with the wiring bundle movement possibly being needed when they called about the replacement latch.
I tried all my doors and they behave the same. Only open smoothly with pre outside push applied. I doubt if the replacement locks will work. If u push the lever to the first resistance u hear a first click. Shortly after that in a fraction of a second a second fainter click. This one locks it again. That is the same on all 4 doors.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts