Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
2021 VW ID.4 FE
25 Posts
I tried all my doors and they behave the same. Only open smoothly with pre outside push applied. I doubt if the replacement locks will work. If u push the lever to the first resistance u hear a first click. Shortly after that in a fraction of a second a second fainter click. This one locks it again. That is the same on all 4 doors.
So after reading all the posts again and performing many more tests, and having my wife test some more, I have found that the amount of outward pressure required can differ. It was very small on 3 of my doors, but still was required in most cases to reliably open the 3 doors. On my front passenger door only, more pressure was required. In some cases opening the front passenger door from the outside also "hung" during opening. The dealer replaced by front passenger door latch on Monday after a month wait for the new part, and all four doors now operate similarly with the same very small amount of required outward pressure upon pulling the release on the inside. I figure I was probably not aware of this and doing this all along on the driver's door (that I use significantly more than the rest) subconsciously as I normally use my elbow to open the door. I really wish that no pressure was required as the door is unlatched from the inside, as this does require me to "train" some new passengers to avoid the door hanging if they don't apply any pressure to the door as they unlatch it from the inside. Will have to see how things go now with the new latch.

·
208 Posts
So after reading all the posts again and performing many more tests, and having my wife test some more, I have found that the amount of outward pressure required can differ. It was very small on 3 of my doors, but still was required in most cases to reliably open the 3 doors. On my front passenger door only, more pressure was required. In some cases opening the front passenger door from the outside also "hung" during opening. The dealer replaced by front passenger door latch on Monday after a month wait for the new part, and all four doors now operate similarly with the same very small amount of required outward pressure upon pulling the release on the inside. I figure I was probably not aware of this and doing this all along on the driver's door (that I use significantly more than the rest) subconsciously as I normally use my elbow to open the door. I really wish that no pressure was required as the door is unlatched from the inside, as this does require me to "train" some new passengers to avoid the door hanging if they don't apply any pressure to the door as they unlatch it from the inside. Will have to see how things go now with the new latch.
thanks for your additional info. yes it look we just have to go through a training lesson with our passengers :). or we can also make a youtube training video on "how to exit the VW ID.4 without frustration".

·
2021 First Edition
198 Posts
It may not apply to everyone, but I was experiencing this same thing with the doors and then I consciously started releasing my foot from the brake before trying the latch and it totally resolved the issue. No more multiple attempts to unlatch!
Thanks for this. I'm finding that foot off of the brake does make it easier to open the door. I'm now trying to make it a habit.

I think it is some sort of safety issue. The car "starts" when you sit down and put your foot on the brake. Perhaps VW makes the doors harder to open when the car is ready to drive.

·
208 Posts
Thanks for this. I'm finding that foot off of the brake does make it easier to open the door. I'm now trying to make it a habit.

I think it is some sort of safety issue. The car "starts" when you sit down and put your foot on the brake. Perhaps VW makes the doors harder to open when the car is ready to drive.
I think it is not acceptable to have to learn how to open the door quickly and it looks different owners have different experience even on the same car with different doors.
Yes the park foot off helps initially but when I sat in the car longer like 5min and tries the same scheme it again failed.
To ime it is a safety issue and also does not match the manual and makes no sense.
Please VW fix it and make leaving the car not a rocket science project

·
2021 Black ID.4
1 Posts
My husband and I both bought Pro-S ID.4's (2 months ago and two weeks ago respectively). MY car has this same issue on ALL four doors EVERY time. It doesn't matter if I have my foot on the brake, if I just parked, or if I have been driving or not. My husband's car almost does not do thistht all. Every now and then it does if he has been driving and goes into park, and only with the front passenger door. It isn't supposed to happen. I am glad for those explaining the switch over from the electrics to mechanical. My teenaged children and I have tried opening the doors all sorts of ways and have not found a way in which this doesn't happen. We just got used to it. However, after having ridden in my husband's car and not having the issue, it is more irritating than ever.

·
ID.4 FE
98 Posts
My wife always has to pull twice to open the passenger door from inside. I explained to her the whole electronic mechanism and how to do it “properly” - still two pulls every time. I walk over to show her how it’s done - sure as shit… took me two pulls, every time. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Definitely not functioning as it should.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts