Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts

Recommend he wire a 6-50 240V circuit to a socket and install paired-50A breakers which will accommodate 40A "max load" thruput. You'll need a 6-50 plug (my Chargepoint Flex could be ordered with either a 6-50 or a 14-50 plug).
But if you feel you need higher 48A thruput (albeit negligible time savings in a typical overnight session) then have him hardwire direct to your EVSE. Will require 60A breakers.
It is L2 240V (dual 120V split-phase) regardless hardwire or socketed.
I just received my charger and my ID4 Pro S is on a truck en route to the dealership. What is the difference between hard wiring and using an outlet for charging. I am having an electrician out next week.
Will it get the same voltage either way or is it diminished with the outlet?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
Technically 6-50 is the newer standard. 14-50 is a carryover from needing the add’l neutral wire for older dryer electronics. And again most welders are 6-50. ;)

Ok, so we have provided most all the permutations of advice, with our respective rationale for same. So the OP will just have to pick one. 🤷‍♂️

I agree with Mike. One big advantage of not hardwiring is that if you ever want to upgrade to a smart EVSE or just a different EVSE it will be plug and play. Also, like Mike says 14-50 is the newer standard and what most new EVSE installations are using.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
So your "14-50" is really a 6-50 in application. ;)

I agree that 32A will charge overnight just as capably and if that is your typical routine, as mine, then adequate (although I did go 40A socketed in a new installation).

One could consider that if you rarely need a faster charge than head over to your nearest EA DCFC, if reasonably available.
My 14-50 is just 3 wire - The EVSE plugged into it is just 3 wire (the neutral pin is not used) and that's all that's gonna be plugged in there, so I just ran 3 wires. 4 wires are only needed for a 240/120 volt appliance

The big difference between using a connector and hardwiring is the current capacity. The plugs are limited to 50 amps, so they can safely deliver 80% of that, or 40 amps. If you want/need to recharge your ID.4 as fast as possible, then you must hardwire the EVSE so it can deal with 50 amps . . . . from a 60 amp circuit breaker, which you cannot legally do with a plug

But again, very few owners will ever need 50 amps, or even 40 for that matter. 32 will recharge this car overnight just fine

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
Yes, to some degree. In a typical overnight charging session 32A is plenty. But there are those who have long commutes and then want to readily recharge before more nighttime activities so in that case they would benefit from a higher amperage thruput. Then again "charge immediately to 50%" at 40A should suffice in the time it takes between those uses. And there's always EA DCFC if relatively nearby.
Again, everyone needs to examine their own specific needs, and their existing infrastructures, and plan/implement accordingly.
Faster L2 home charging times seems like a bragging rights contest if you ask me

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
That's going to be one heck of a quote! o_O Most USA folks now have 200A service, but many still at 100A and your quote would be for a circuit handling half or all of that. So in addition to heavier EVSE-feed wire gauge and breakers likely heavier grid-entry wire and larger capacity entry panel, bordering on commercial application!!

Related: most of the homes in my 3-year old retiree-downsized development have 100A service. When I roughed-in for a 48/40A EVSE during construction that alone drove me to an interior 200A panel. Thankfully the line off the transformer to my current NEC exterior disconnect was already sufficiently robust.
I will definitely get a quote for a 100-amp circuit to future proof it for an 80 amp charger if I ever need one.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
Yep, I'm always amazed when I see USA statistics and re-realize there are more pickup trucks sold each year than anything else, and by a wide margin.

Yes, one should try to "future proof", to a degree. But I'm reminded that in my prior (much larger 300A) home, built in 2001, I personally installed miles of ethernet-coax-audio cable from every room/exterior camera/attic antennas and home-run to basement panel. It served me very well for 17 years but the latter years the world went to WiFi/Bluetooth so in one view of life I wasted a lot of money and effort. "Difficult to see the future; always in motion it is." -Yoda
[I did still run ethernet/coax to multiple rooms 2018 in present smaller home, as I still prefer from a shielded signal security perspective; and the 6-50 EVSE line to garage.]
Seems to me the overall question relates to how efficient the cars are. If the expectation is that everybody drives the same amount they do now, but in a huge, boxy pickup truck, there will be a need for bigger charging capacity. But if people get efficient EVs and drive the same amount they do now, the daily charging need doesn't depend on whether the car has a 60 or a 100 or a 200 kWh battery.

Recent history suggests that people will buy huge, boxy pickup trucks and drive them even faster than they do now. :(
My electrician had told me that I have a 250 amp service to the house with less than 150 being used, so I think I can swing a 100 amp circuit to the charger. I don't know the price, but also if I have it installed before the end of 2021, I will get 30% off the installation price as a tax credit. I don't think anyone knows if this credit will be extended in 2022.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts