Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

793 Posts
Question to Europeans: when your order was signed, did you get an email with a link to your reservation/delivery status (as they get in the US)?
Same as with the others, I get word from the seller. But I was specifically told that this is due to the way the leasing agreement is structured between the seller, my employer and a third company. I was told that if I was buying it directly, they could provide me the link so I could track it myself? Don't know any ID.x owners, so can't ask.

793 Posts
Nope, not in Norway - I even asked my dealer and they said they don't have access to that kind of information.

--

We ordered in November - and I just asked if I should renew my current car subscription for 6 months, and the dealer said yes. So it's going to be a while before the GTX turns up 😔
Fellow Nordic here, I got my info from the VW dealer who's of the same group as the importer for VW here.

No GTX models of ID.5 or ID.4 would be built before July (status on the last week of February) due to parts-shortage. WV "tries to" deliver all cars ordered before March 2022 before end of 2022, but cannot guarantee that.

I know they're short on the LED-matrix headlights and 360' cameras, at least, and most likely quite a few others. On a tangent I know that getting anything with an electric open/close trunk is going to be delayed.

793 Posts
Takk! I ordered with the open/close trunk, so looks like and even longer wait!
GTXs are a wait. I don't know if the trunk adds to it, possibly not.

I just know that even non-GTX models, if you're chosen package includes that, prepare to wait. Only the bare-bones models without a towing hook are somewhat guaranteed for summer.

is your dealer? Mine is Erik Arnesen Bryn AS.
Volkswagen.

793 Posts
VW sales are down 8% but profits are up 451% for 2021, because they have been and is prioritising high-spec models, so I am not so sure the bare-bone models are a better bet (supply issues aside for specific parts).
But that is the bet they've made.

They promise ID.5:s in four months if you order now, as they did this week?

Sure, if you take RWD, lower trim and no extras. I checked.

793 Posts
Re ID.4 I assume it’s up in the air but I will call/visit my sales rep (and his boss if needed) tomorrow and demand some clarification.
They might not know either. Mine was pretty pissed as they'd been selling cars on Wednesday (last week of February) on VW's expected delivery "late summer" and got word on Thursday that everyone's expected delivery dates had been cancelled and changed to null with a promise of "we try to deliver before end of year".

So it's not like VW HQ is informing them either..

793 Posts
Maybe they have changed the strategy for 2022 due to the chip shortage and general, increased supply woes - however, no auto manufacturer has a good track record with sticking to their promised delivery dates at the moment, but time will tell...
Well if they can sell a car sans matrix lights or build a car with everything else and then have it wait four months for the lights... Well, one will get a car delivered, net money and a presumably a happy customer, the latter makes a non-deliverable car lying around in atorage, no money and possibly a pissed off customer ready to cancel because of delays .

793 Posts
And this is specifically for GTX? Because if yes, then it's good news and a change.

Last week the situation still was "no GTXs will enter manufacturing before July", I checked.

To note, I didn't ask if that was a country-specific thing, my understanding was that it's "at all".

793 Posts
Here GTX:s are always higher trim. Not sure what are standard for GTX, but Led matrix and 360' cameras are known issues, there may be others.. and mine (ID.5) is to have both.

Last week was planning October, build in November and delivery December.

793 Posts
360 and powered trunk, as far as I can tell
That is interesting, as at least the 360' cameras were supposed to be available for VW in July only (among other higher trim components), which was supposedly the reason "no GTX:s will be built before July".

If they are building them now, even in limited numbers, that is an improvement.

I may need to check with my rep, but I'll do that only after the ID.5 is launched, so I have a few things to ask..

793 Posts
Lines up with what I had previously, except that my cars planned manufacturing date is early November, so it's more likely Q3 onwards.

Ukraine is an issue for wiring, mainly, not the cameras and other fancy GTX stuff. That means an alternative source to Ukraine doesn't solve that issue either.

Got a reply from my dealer yesterday and the latest news he had was that GTX with e.g. the WD3 package (LED matrix and 360 camera I assume) have a planned production in Q3 of 2022 i.e. July - September. As some parts are produced in Ukraine (in limited numbers for obvious reasons) they're looking for alternative suppliers.
Fingers crossed for a delivery early in Q3...

793 Posts
Ukraine factories deliver some parts for fancy stuff too, not only "generic" wiring according to my sales rep. Not disputing what you state but that's his info on the subject.
Anyone who knows what (other) issues there are re supplies for e.g. the 360 camera and LED matrix - the good old "semiconductor thing + shipping problems"? ;)
Oh my understanding on what Ukraine provides may be faulty.

There were issues with the 360' cams availability before. Also another person was told that VW would get them in July only. That seems to line up with the GTX production in Q3. If it was Ukraine, would they know when they are getting a batch of gear - so far into the future?

793 Posts
Ordered my car in the end of September 2021... All + packages except for the sunroof... The car has been completed at step 7 at the factory since late January, but now it is 100% complete and on its way on the ferry to Norway...
You wouldn't happen to know what part they were waiting for? Getting an itch to check my dealer if there's any change in the expected timeline, if parts became available sooner than expected.

793 Posts
That explains it. While you ordered in February, the car went to the que whenever the dealer ordered.

I asked in Feb. before the attack, and a new order of a GTX ID.4 would've been ~12 months. I ordered an ID.5 GTX in Feb, and what I got was to customize the dealers order from November.

Last time I asked, supposed to arrive in December and delivered before the end of the year, but it's been over a month. Also then the word was no GTXs produced before July, so maybe it's changed and they're picking up speed. I'm going to need to ask next week.

793 Posts
^Nope, no changes for better or for worse.
Might as well reply to myself.

Checked back with my dealer about another matter, and was informed that my ID.5 GTX delivery time is now (again) blank.

As they've got no word of any delays, it's more likely that with the new factory open in Germany and Chattanooga US ramping up they might actually be able to deliver sooner than the previously promised December, and have wiped the previous estimates.

As the 'no new GTXs before July' still seems to be true, I said I'll touch back in July in hopes of VW getting their plans sorted.

793 Posts
Yes, my sales rep said that production could possibly be earlier than expected as they've seemed to have made better progress than expected re various issues - fingers crossed for all of us waiting for a GTX ;)
I want to believe as bad as Mulder did back in his day, but still, it's not that unreasonable.

I think ID.5s started production in February, and I was supposed to get mine in June. That's a 4 month wait from start of production. Well we all know what Russia did and that threw a huge wrench to all the plans.

But, as production has resumed at VW factories and they've even opened a new one for ID. production - and Chattanooga opening later this year - one could assume that VW has managed to clear at least some of the issues. Especially wire harnesses seem to be again available from Ukraine, as announced by VW earlier.

So, let's assume things are about what they were before Emperor Asshole decided to invade a sovereign country. That would mean that even with production starting next month, I should see my car delivered around October, as that would be the same four month wait it originally was. Sooner(tm) if I'm lucky. Not December, which it was earlier. And to repeat myself, the schedule I had for mine was cleared and is now empty (or was two days ago), without any news about delays.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts