Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken delivery yet of a MY2022 ID.4 here in Minnesota? I am curious about the following:
  1. Did you pay more than MSRP? Less than MSRP?
  2. If your vehicle was migrated from a MY2021 to a MY22 and you received the $765 coupon via email, did your dealer honor it?
  3. I believe we have to pay an additional $75 EV registration fee. About how much were the other registration and title fees?
  4. Has anyone signed up for Time-Of-Day metering with Xcel to take advantage of cheaper night-time and weekend power rates?

·
Locked in for a 22 Pro AWD Moonstone gray since Aug 2021
29 Posts
Im waiting for my MY 2022 to arrive. It is supposed to be here Jul-Sep. Right now it shows it being on a boat crossing the Atlantic.
My dealer has told me several times that there will be NO markup above MSRP. I ordered this car last Aug
I was told that they will honor the coupon I got for the $765 discount
You are correct, MN does charge an extra $75 for tabs on EVs
Im not on Xcel. But the electric coop I belong to has a TOU rate.

·
8 Posts
I'm not exactly the scenario you're looking for, but I am in MN, so I'll share my experience. I created a reservation back in Feb and was waiting to lock when we got a call from our dealer (Schmelz Countryside) that they had a cancellation a couple weeks ago. It was a gradient, which I didn't really want, but they offered it at MSRP. Since we had no idea how long it would take for our reservation to go through, I jumped on it. I would not have taken it if had they charged over MSRP.

I can't really speak to #2, since that didn't apply to me. Seems to me like that's an offer from corporate, so I don't think the dealership is really out anything by honoring it, so I don't know why they wouldn't, but I could be wrong there.

As MNMadMan mentioned, there is a $75 EV fee in MN. This is a yearly fee with your registration that is intended to offset the fact that you're not paying gas tax to pay for roads. Other fees were pretty typical for a new car purchase. All told, I had about $850 in fees, with the registration and document administration fees being the bulk of that. For a RWD Pro, the registration fee should be less, since it's based on the price.

I am on Xcel. I haven't signed up for their TOU rates... yet. I thought I would watch to see what our usage was like. Xcel has 2 different plans for this in MN. The first they call Time of Day and all of your electrical use is subject to the time-based rates. The kicker on this one is that while your weekend and night rates go down, your weekday rates are about double what they currently are. So far, this one seems like it would be a wash for me, but I have less than a month's worth of data, so I'll re-evaluate as time goes on. Xcel's other plan is called Limited Off-Peak. For this one, you get a second meter specifically for your off-peak circuits (so some extra wiring involved there). The off-peak rate is a little cheaper, but the peak rate is higher than Time of Day. The other downside to this one is that the off-peak window is smaller (10 pm - 6:30 am vs 9-9 for Time of Day) and is enforced 7 days/week. However, even paying normal residential rates, we're saving a lot in daily costs compared to the Prius it replaced.

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not exactly the scenario you're looking for, but I am in MN, so I'll share my experience. I created a reservation back in Feb and was waiting to lock when we got a call from our dealer (Schmelz Countryside) that they had a cancellation a couple weeks ago. It was a gradient, which I didn't really want, but they offered it at MSRP. Since we had no idea how long it would take for our reservation to go through, I jumped on it. I would not have taken it if had they charged over MSRP.

I can't really speak to #2, since that didn't apply to me. Seems to me like that's an offer from corporate, so I don't think the dealership is really out anything by honoring it, so I don't know why they wouldn't, but I could be wrong there.

As MNMadMan mentioned, there is a $75 EV fee in MN. This is a yearly fee with your registration that is intended to offset the fact that you're not paying gas tax to pay for roads. Other fees were pretty typical for a new car purchase. All told, I had about $850 in fees, with the registration and document administration fees being the bulk of that. For a RWD Pro, the registration fee should be less, since it's based on the price.

I am on Xcel. I haven't signed up for their TOU rates... yet. I thought I would watch to see what our usage was like. Xcel has 2 different plans for this in MN. The first they call Time of Day and all of your electrical use is subject to the time-based rates. The kicker on this one is that while your weekend and night rates go down, your weekday rates are about double what they currently are. So far, this one seems like it would be a wash for me, but I have less than a month's worth of data, so I'll re-evaluate as time goes on. Xcel's other plan is called Limited Off-Peak. For this one, you get a second meter specifically for your off-peak circuits (so some extra wiring involved there). The off-peak rate is a little cheaper, but the peak rate is higher than Time of Day. The other downside to this one is that the off-peak window is smaller (10 pm - 6:30 am vs 9-9 for Time of Day) and is enforced 7 days/week. However, even paying normal residential rates, we're saving a lot in daily costs compared to the Prius it replaced.
Thanks for the input!

Yes, I considered adding a separate meter just for the garage (it is detached on an alley with easy access to the overhead wires). I may do that in the fututre if it looks like I am paying too much for non-EV daytime usage.

It probably was a smart move to grab the car you got. I locked last August and have been very surprised that when they ran out of MY2021 and migrated my order to MY2022 that they really meant it when they said "Mid-2022". The good news is I am not desperate for a new vehicle.

·
95 Posts
Regarding your question regarding Xcel it all depends on how much power you use normally monthly. I went through all the analysis and the best option for me was the power saver plan we use more than 1000kw monthly so at that rate I pay .09 cents per Kw . I have tracked my monthly bills since March and I am paying 26 to 29 monthly for ev charging. Xcel customer service was really good and reviewed my situation and given all the facts that was the beat choice.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
433 Posts

Wow, almost double during the day. Sounds like the perfect incentive for some solar panels, faster payback as the high daytime rate is exactly what would be offset.

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just re-upping this to get an update. Has anyone in MN (or elsewhere in the upper mid-west) taken delivery of a MY2022 ID.4 yet?

·
29 Posts
Im still waiting as well. Its in TX and waiting on the update and transport here to MN. Should be soon...

·
18 Posts
My id4 is at 35-1 and Schmelz Countryside in Maplewood thinks it will be here before the end of the month. I'm guessing next week.
    1. I have already spoken with Schmelz and while they did not commit to MSRP directly, I have heard from people in the MN EV Owners Facebook group that Schmelz has not charged over MSRP for reserved vehicles and the salesman I am dealing with said they have not charged over MSRP in the many years he's been there and he doesn't expect it to change. It's not the direct answer you're looking for but it gets you closer. Speak with your dealer!
  2. If your vehicle was migrated from a MY2021 to a MY22 and you received the $765 coupon via email, did your dealer honor it?
    1. I did receive the coupon and I've sent it to the dealer. He said they have one other customer with a coupon and sees no issue honoring it. Also, he spoke with the owner who didn't have any issue with me financing through Affinity Plus rather than the dealer.
  3. I believe we have to pay an additional $75 EV registration fee. About how much were the other registration and title fees?
  4. Has anyone signed up for Time-Of-Day metering with Xcel to take advantage of cheaper night-time and weekend power rates?
    1. I'm thinking about this and the sticking point for me is the EVSE requirement. You must use one of the two options. You can rent or buy but you still need to pay a monthly service fee. I guess I need to run the numbers and figure out if it's actually worth it.

·
29 Posts
My id4 is at 35-1 and Schmelz Countryside in Maplewood thinks it will be here before the end of the month. I'm guessing next week.
    1. I have already spoken with Schmelz and while they did not commit to MSRP directly, I have heard from people in the MN EV Owners Facebook group that Schmelz has not charged over MSRP for reserved vehicles and the salesman I am dealing with said they have not charged over MSRP in the many years he's been there and he doesn't expect it to change. It's not the direct answer you're looking for but it gets you closer. Speak with your dealer!
    1. I did receive the coupon and I've sent it to the dealer. He said they have one other customer with a coupon and sees no issue honoring it. Also, he spoke with the owner who didn't have any issue with me financing through Affinity Plus rather than the dealer.
    1. I'm thinking about this and the sticking point for me is the EVSE requirement. You must use one of the two options. You can rent or buy but you still need to pay a monthly service fee. I guess I need to run the numbers and figure out if it's actually worth it.
Since I dont have it yet, all I can say is that my dealer, Mankato VW, has said they will not charge more than MSRP

My car was migrated from a 2021. In Feb I upgraded it to an AWD model. That was the only change. Price adjusted accordingly
I do have the coupon for the $765. I see no reason why they wouldn't honor it as its from VW
Yes, in MN we will pay an extra $75 a yr for tabs for road tax
6.5% sales tax on cars in MN. Doc fee is capped by law at $100.
Im on REA for power. They offer an TOU rate by installing an meter on the charging circuit. I have not done this yet. I do have an EVSE already wired up so I would just have to install the meter socket

Im sure they will try and hit us up for an extended warranty. I dont usually buy these and dont think I will this time
I plan of financing through my credit union.

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking about this and the sticking point for me is the EVSE requirement.
I'm wondering if I misread something over at Xcel.
I installed an Emporia level 2 240V charger in the garage and am expecting to benefit from off-peak power rates when charging the ID.4 at night.

Xcel installed a time-of-day smart meter for the entire house and so any power used between 9am-9pm weekdays is billed at a peak rate and any power used between 9pm-9am and on weekends (and holidays) is billed at off-peak rates.

·
127 Posts
If this helps anyone I didn't have to finance my '22 to use the $765 coupon. I actually reached out to VW CARE to ask if I had to and they responded with the most uninspiring message ever basically stating they don't have anything to do with dealer financing and that I needed to contact the dealer. It's not really surprising these days how uninformed people are and how utterly lame their responses to questions asked to them are that they should be able to answer. I mean FFS my dealer didn't issue the coupon you numnuts did!

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If this helps anyone I didn't have to finance my '22 to use the $765 coupon. I actually reached out to VW CARE to ask if I had to and they responded with the most uninspiring message ever basically stating they don't have anything to do with dealer financing and that I needed to contact the dealer. It's not really surprising these days how uninformed people are and how utterly lame their responses to questions asked to them are that they should be able to answer. I mean FFS my dealer didn't issue the coupon you numnuts did!
Yes, I got exactly the same response from VWoA. Completely unhelpful.

·
127 Posts
Yes, I got exactly the same response from VWoA. Completely unhelpful.
In all seriousness I'm wondering if some class action or BBB complaints are in order. VWOA issued a coupon to us stating that we would pay after the coupon the '21 MSRP and then when called out on it they told us that they would do nothing. That the $765 coupon was it despite there being a $1,235 difference between the '21 MSRP and the '22 MSRP that all of us are having to pay despite again locking a '22 at a MSRP that was "only" $765 more than the '21 MSRP which they stated their coupon was supposed to cover.

The reality is that I wouldn't have even expected the coupon but they came out with it, they stated we won't effectively pay more than the '21 we ordered would have cost and then they in basic terms F'ed us. You know what you don't get to do? Screw over reservation holders for something that was supposed to take 3-4 months for a year, promise them something to save face and that not many were expecting to get, and then lie to them and not do what you stated you would do by making sure they would pay the equivalent '21 MSRP for the vehicle they ordered. I get inflation happened, I get the war in Ukraine happened, I get they are delivering most ID4s to the EU market but again don't send us all an e-mail saying us long time reservation holders will effectively pay the '21 MSRP after the coupon. I'm sure the laws are different in each state but it genuinely makes me wonder what our recourse is, if anything.

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The reality is that VWoA and every dealer knows we can take their deal or leave it. And if we let them have their car, they make even more.
This is what is called “being over a barrel”.

🤪

·
18 Posts
After this guy said he took delivery of a ID4 in Chicago yesterday I decided to look at OpenRailwayMap and see if I could divine anything about when my ID4 would arrive. Someone mentioned that their dealer said their car would arrive by rail into Cottage Grove before being trucked to the dealer. Given that, most of the rail lines that run into Cottage Grove then run roughly in the direction of Chicago. Hopefully that means that the train is on the way from Chicago to here! Not much in between here and Chicago. Only a few more days?

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, my dealer said cars for Twin Cities dealers arrive at Cottage Grove.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts