Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

2021 First Edition
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driveway has a slight incline from the street to the garage and the art of parking the car gently is flummoxing me. If I go too slow or briefly stop while entering the garage, the car seems to disengage the motor and stop completely before the car rolls back. My old RAV4 EV would just roll back and I could feather the throttle to keep it balanced against gravity.

Regardless, in order to get the ID.4 moving again, I have to slightly gun the throttle to get it out of "stop" mode. This causes the car to lurch forward. I'm worried I'm going to gun it too much and hit the side of the garage.

I've also noticed this on random hills while stopped in traffic. The car will change modes and, in order to wake it up again, I have to hit the throttle. The transition is not smooth and sometimes the car leaps forward.

I hope I explained this properly, it is one of the few things about the car that is bugging me. Anyone else experiencing this? Any advice about ways to avoid/mitigate this issue?

ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
This should totally be in the Bug-Track thread, unless there's a software setting.

ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
Have you tried changing the mode (ECO, Comfort, Sport) that you are driving with? It is NOT a total fix, but you may find one that fits your driveway better than what you are using now. If you do, then you could set that as your choice in Custom and make some progress.

My driveway is an incline. I don鈥檛 have my ID yet but once I do I鈥檒l report in here how it reacts. I typically back into my garage so I鈥檓 on off throttle going up and in.

Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
My driveway is an incline. I don鈥檛 have my ID yet but once I do I鈥檒l report in here how it reacts. I typically back into my garage so I鈥檓 on off throttle going up and in.
I have a little lip to get up and into our driveway, and frequently I need to just push the pedal just a little bit to get it up and in.

That and I am being extra careful in that I don't want to take out a mirror going in and out of the garage.

ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
We noticed this too, our street is a very modest incline, and the car behaves like a manual transmission rolling in the direction of the hill from a stop when the gear selector is in the uphill direction. It's opposite "creep" in this respect, it's anti-creep. I don't see how VW can want it both ways. If they're programming the ID.4 to "creep" like a cheap automatic, then it should consistently creep in the selected direction, not roll against the selected direction like a manual when on a hill.

Proud FE owner
I have one intersection near my house I haven't solved yet. In my CC, I would engage auto-hold, but my ID.4 will do a short rollback. We need auto hold! Calling Mr. Krause!

2021 First Edition
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. Seems like I'm not the only one.

Just tried parking in the garage again. It works better if I never let the car fully stop and just keep it slow and steady. Gonna take a bit of practice, but I'll get the hang of this car eventually.

The clunk when fully stopping still bugs me, though.

Thanks for the input. Seems like I'm not the only one.

Just tried parking in the garage again. It works better if I never let the car fully stop and just keep it slow and steady. Gonna take a bit of practice, but I'll get the hang of this car eventually.

The clunk when fully stopping still bugs me, though.
I have a fairly steep driveway (12% grade) sand when I reach the top there is a sight slide back but I just give it a little "gas" and it slides into garage without issue.

ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
I have a fairly steep driveway (12% grade) sand when I reach the top there is a sight slide back but I just give it a little "acceleration" [FTFY] and it slides into garage without issue.

Have you tried experimenting with the Anti-Roll setting under the Brakes menu? I suspect it is meant to prevent the car from rolling back when it stops on an incline.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
One of the first things I taught my son when I gave him my manual transmission sports coupe when he was in high school was how to smoothly pull away from a stopped-hill incline without rolling back.

The ID.4's "Anti Roll" does this for us, as we non-single pedal ol' timers switch foot from brake to accelerator (but at least I've learned to be exclusively in 'B' Mode). ;)
I can't remember if it was settings-on by default but I made sure it was on.

btw: the wide sweeping hand motion recommended by a fellow member works well at rotating the avatar in the "Vehicle" settings menu, as well as in more general use. 馃憢 馃憤

btw(2): "Auto Hold" is another subject matter, more related to one-pedal driving.

Have you tried experimenting with the Anti-Roll setting under the Brakes menu? I suspect it is meant to prevent the car from rolling back when it stops on an incline.

ID.4 1st blue
The ID.4's "Anti Roll" does this for us
@Huey52
Can you explain a bit more? I went to the "Brakes" setting in the Vehicle menu and played around with the anti-roll setting and also read the manual on this topic. It seems that the default is supposed to have anti-roll turned on in that menu and you can either deactivate when you shift into "N" or have the option of having the car warn you and give you the choice to deactivate anti-roll when you shift into "N". I played with all the settings and noticed the car rolls freely in "N" regardless. I've also noticed the car rolling backwards while stopped (in "D") on an incline. It very much seems like the anti-roll function isn't working at all. Do you have a different experience with it?

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
Neutral in any vehicle, ICE or electric, should always freely roll, unless the parking/emergency brake is manually engaged.

The anti-roll feature, when active and in a drive mode, holds the vehicle on an incline so it doesn't roll back into a trailing vehicle when you momentarily take your foot off the brake pedal to engage the accelerator pedal. I presume that the motor "locked rotor" inertial resistance is typically adequate but perhaps the parking brake is auto-involved as well as required?.

[btw: with a manual transmission ICE on an incline you have a set hand parking brake (no foot brake) and slowly let off on same as you also slowly engage the clutch and also start to rev. the engine so as not to stall; it's very much a choreographed procedure. ;) ]

@Huey52
Can you explain a bit more? I went to the "Brakes" setting in the Vehicle menu and played around with the anti-roll setting and also read the manual on this topic. It seems that the default is supposed to have anti-roll turned on in that menu and you can either deactivate when you shift into "N" or have the option of having the car warn you and give you the choice to deactivate anti-roll when you shift into "N". I played with all the settings and noticed the car rolls freely in "N" regardless. I've also noticed the car rolling backwards while stopped (in "D") on an incline. It very much seems like the anti-roll function isn't working at all. Do you have a different experience with it?

ID.4 1st Edition
I鈥檝e experienced something similar, as well. It鈥檚 going to take some getting used to.

Another related example, you can apply minimal pressure to the brake to come to a complete stop. But if there is the slightest incline or decline, after coming to a complete stop, the car will start to roll until you fully depress the brake. I鈥檓 guessing regen can stop the car, but brake pads are needed to keep you in place.

ID.4 1st blue
Neutral in any vehicle, ICE or electric, should always freely roll, unless the parking/emergency brake is manually engaged.
I get that but in this car it seems to be designed otherwise based on reading the manual and the settings in the Brake menu. Have you been able to prevent the car from rolling back while stopped on an incline in "D" mode when you lift off the brake pedal? That's more of what I care about.

Two foot driving w/ brake and accelerator (mimics clutch and gas while on a hill - although I tried to avoid that since it burns out your clutch) I suppose is a fix if needed but it really shouldn't be on this car.

I would always assume it will roll in "N" even if our car seems to be designed not to w/o disengaging the anti-roll for whatever reason.

ID.4 1st blue
I鈥檝e experienced something similar, as well. It鈥檚 going to take some getting used to.
I don't believe the car is designed to act like this. If I had to guess I'd say when they disabled Auto Hold for the US market they also perhaps inadvertently deactivated the anti-roll function. There's really no good reason for the car to roll backwards when in D gear. Creeping forward to mimic a traditional ICE vehicle with an automatic transmission I can understand but no modern car with automatic trans rolls back like this. I think this is a fairly serious bug and could cause you to roll back into someone or something.

I'd been talking to VW customer care via email about getting car-net set up properly and I've reported this to them.

Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
I haven't noticed this behavior, but in the same breath I may not have been on a significant incline. Will try to test near future.

If indeed a flaw, VW must correct this in the Anti-Roll setup (not to be confused with Auto Hold, but possibly related). Travel around San Francisco comes readily to mind!

I get that but in this car it seems to be designed otherwise based on reading the manual and the settings in the Brake menu. Have you been able to prevent the car from rolling back while stopped on an incline in "D" mode when you lift off the brake pedal? That's more of what I care about.

Two foot driving w/ brake and accelerator (mimics clutch and gas while on a hill - although I tried to avoid that since it burns out your clutch) I suppose is a fix if needed but it really shouldn't be on this car.

I would always assume it will roll in "N" even if our car seems to be designed not to w/o disengaging the anti-roll for whatever reason.
After reading this I went out to my driveway to test this. I have a fairly steep driveway (12% grade) and when I release the brake near the top there is no sliding back at all, in fact the car keeps creeping forward in both D and B mode.

2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
After reading this I went out to my driveway to test this. I have a fairly steep driveway (12% grade) and when I release the brake near the top there is no sliding back at all, in fact the car keeps creeping forward in both D and B mode.
That's a pretty significant and dangerous bug in the vehicle driving software then if some people experience rollback while others don't :/

1 - 20 of 43 Posts