Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
VW 2018 Tiguan SEL Premium 4Motion
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the USA version of the ID.4 would ship with the head-up display? This feature is not mentioned in the specs on the US reservation website.

·
254 Posts
I really wanted that feature too.

·
314 Posts
In Europe, HUD shows in the "1st max" features, not in the EU "1st" (they have two trim levels for the 1st, and not in our U.S. 1st feature list. It would be a super nice surprise, but I don't think we get it. (Or, the winter heat pump which is also in the 1st max). There might be a plastic or glass sheet in the dash under the front window for the projector. I've been studying the pictures, but don't seen anything like that on our U.S. first. I really want a 1st max (no white steering wheel), but probably could not afford it anyway.

·
Proud FE owner
1,010 Posts
It might be possible that it's there and turned on with an OTA once the software is ready.

Reactions: Huey52

·
43 Posts
I asked VW america on Twitter and they told me I could speak to my dealer to see if I could get it installed aftermarket

·
314 Posts
I just called too, they said (after some checking behind the scenes), it is not a feature that we are getting in the U.S. on any of the current ID.4 models, but may be available in future models. I too asked if it could be installed later as a VW accessory and they don't know.

·
Proud FE owner
1,010 Posts
What we might reason in their positioning of the 1st and Pro w/Statement+Gradient is that they aren't intended to be the premium trim. The CR-V and RAV-4 premium trims have HUD. Could there be a Max coming to NA in the future?

I find it interesting that the Mazda CX-5 hasn't been mentioned. It would certainly fall within the range. It's premium trim has HUD. I would estimate 10x CX-5's to CR-V/RAV-4's near me.

·
29 Posts
I was also wondering if there might be a higher trim.

If the Audi Q4 is supposed to start at $45K as reported months ago, perhaps the Q4 will be the premium trim?

I have a 2017 CX 5 and I enjoy the HUD..

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a reservation for an ID.4 AWD Pro (not and ID.4 1st Edition), however, I will not complete the purchase if the tech I want is not onboard. I guess I will not know what tech is on board before I get a chance to test drive and inspect a demo vehicle. It would be helpful if VW America provides a vehicle configurator like the one for the ID.3 shown at this link: https://www.volkswagen.de/de/modelle-und-konfigurator/id3.html

·
29 Posts
I have a reservation for an ID.4 AWD Pro (not and ID.4 1st Edition), however, I will not complete the purchase if the tech I want is not onboard. I guess I will not know what tech is on board before I get a chance to test drive and inspect a demo vehicle. It would be helpful if VW America provides a vehicle configurator like the one for the ID.3 shown at this link: https://www.volkswagen.de/de/modelle-und-konfigurator/id3.html
Agreed. Other choices are to see if the Q4 has those options (but more $) or wait to see if a future ID 4 has more upgrades.

Not sure I can wait if my current ICE decides to die earlier than I'd like.

·
95 Posts
The US-market model is missing the following features (no option to upgrade and cannot be installed aftermarket despite VW's suggestions):

1. Heat pump
2. Augmented reality heads-up display
3. Matrix headlights (by regulation)
4. 3D LED taillights
5. Adaptive suspension
6. 360 degree surround view camera

Just omitting the heat pump is probably enough to cancel my 1st edition since much cheaper cars have it (even VW's own e-Golf in the US!). The clear cost-cutting of features for the US market and still asking almost 50K for a fully loaded AWD Pro without any of these features is unacceptable.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The US-market model is missing the following features (no option to upgrade and cannot be installed aftermarket despite VW's suggestions):

1. Heat pump
4. 3D LED taillights
5. Adaptive suspension

Just omitting the heat pump is probably enough to cancel my 1st edition since much cheaper cars have it (even VW's own e-Golf in the US!). The clear cost-cutting of features for the US market and still asking almost 50K for a fully loaded AWD Pro without any of these features is unacceptable.
I canceled my reservation earlier today for most of the same reasons.

·
314 Posts

1. Heat pump
4. 3D LED taillights
5. Adaptive suspension

I'm probably still a "go", but have been annoyed since day one about several of the missing features. With incentives, it is more of a $40,000 car, but still. EV manufactures tend to slash the price as the incentives go away, I really think they "add" the $7,500 in many cases. Just look at the BOLT deals, with the fed tax incentive expired. I go through EVs pretty quickly (one to two years, definitely financially irresponsible), so If I like it, maybe a later VW trade-in when some or all of these features are available. Otherwise, especially if the incentives come back across the board, I might finally try a Model 3 (said to be getting a heat pump, or at least the option). OTOH, there are going to be so many new models to choose from in two or three years. I was just reading about the new Volvo "XC40 Recharge" EV online last night. (If you click through the pages, there is a contest, they are giving away one.)

I originally knew about the Matrix headlights from the U.S. 1st lists of features, but have been watching so many reviews from around the world, I totally forgot we don't get them, that is definitely a bummer.

It seems to be a standard answer from VW corporate, that your dealer may be able to later install some 3rd parting feature. Forget about the heatpump as a later installed upgrade for sure, there would be all kinds of controls, valves, and refrigerant lines. The HUD seems more likely to at least be a "possible" dealer installed feature, but I am sure (even it were a possible VW dealer upgrade, it probably is not) it is a very bad idea to take apart the dash of a brand new vehicle, just in terms of sounds, rattles, and squeeks.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm probably still a "go", but have been annoyed since day one about several of the missing features. With incentives, it is more of a $40,000 car, but still. EV manufactures tend to slash the price as the incentives go away, I really think they "add" the $7,500 in many cases. Just look at the BOLT deals, with the fed tax incentive expired. I go through EVs pretty quickly (one to two years, definitely financially irresponsible), so If I like it, maybe a later VW trade-in when some or all of these features are available. Otherwise, especially if the incentives come back across the board, I might finally try a Model 3 (said to be getting a heat pump, or at least the option). OTOH, there are going to be so many new models to choose from in two or three years. I was just reading about the new Volvo "XC40 Recharge" EV online last night. (If you click through the pages, there is a contest, they are giving away one.)

I originally knew about the Matrix headlights from the U.S. 1st lists of features, but have been watching so many reviews from around the world, I totally forgot we don't get them, that is definitely a bummer.

It seems to be a standard answer from VW corporate, that your dealer may be able to later install some 3rd parting feature. Forget about the heatpump as a later installed upgrade for sure, there would be all kinds of controls, valves, and refrigerant lines. The HUD seems more likely to at least be a "possible" dealer installed feature, but I am sure (even it were a possible VW dealer upgrade, it probably is not) it is a very bad idea to take apart the dash of a brand new vehicle, just in terms of sounds, rattles, and squeeks.
Agreed.
My new target is the Q4 e-tron. I hope Audi does not follow the path taken by VW.

·
790 Posts
I have a HUD in my BMW, I enjoy it when I can see it. As soon as I put on my sunglasses... it disappears. Having a HUD is not a concern/need for me.

·
95 Posts
Agreed.
My new target is the Q4 e-tron. I hope Audi does not follow the path taken by VW.
I would also follow the same path but I don't want to spend money on luxury appointments. I was really looking forward to the ID4 since it represented the ideal balance between modern technology and mainstream appointments, but it appears that dream is dashed for now, at least in the US. Since I live in a cold climate, the only real long range mainstream EV options available to me are either a Nissan LEAF or a Kia Niro EV (both with heat pump). I'll probably take a short term lease until hopefully VW America stops neutering the US market ID4.

·
2 Posts
Will the US versions of the ID.4 lack adaptive suspension? I haven’t run across any discussion of that. Would be a bummer.

1. Heat pump
4. 3D LED taillights
5. Adaptive suspension

·
73 Posts
Why don't they just put this stuff in option packages. I looked at the two packages and could live without everything in them. A cold weather package with heated back seats, side mirrors, steering wheel, heat pump, heated charge port, etc. is an easy $3K option for me.

I will still keep my AWD reservation, but this will not be a great car for ski trips in Colorado without a heat pump.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts