Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
95 Posts
Why don't they just put this stuff in option packages. I looked at the two packages and could live without everything in them. A cold weather package with heated back seats, side mirrors, steering wheel, heat pump, heated charge port, etc. is an easy $3K option for me.

I will still keep my AWD reservation, but this will not be a great car for ski trips in Colorado without a heat pump.
The 1st edition trim with all the omitted options (1st Edition Max) has not been made available at all in the US, most likely due to profitability concerns (market/import costs etc). Hopefully as production ramps up, the omitted features will become available in the next one or two model years.

·
95 Posts
Will the US versions of the ID.4 lack adaptive suspension? I haven’t run across any discussion of that. Would be a bummer.
It was quite difficult to find out since the US model spec sheet is extremely basic compared to the EU one. I compared the EU spec sheet and press images to the US ones and that's how I found out that all the missing features belong to an ID4 1st Edition Max trim that will not be offered in the US.

·
29 Posts
The 1st edition trim with all the omitted options (1st Edition Max) has not been made available at all in the US, most likely due to profitability concerns (market/import costs etc). Hopefully as production ramps up, the omitted features will become available in the next one or two model years.
I know little of the differences between VW or Audi except Audi costs more, but here are some of my thoughts... more than likely wrong, but what the heck:

Top of the line ID4 is around $45,000. Bottom of the line Q4 is "supposed" to be $45,000. What if the Q4 is the ID4 Max edition for the US? VW obviously wants to come in at a basement EV price to gain a foothold in the US. They already do well in Europe so they are not as pressed to offer the lowest amount, and can offer higher level packages that cost more.

So VW doesn't offer the highest trim in the US (which I think it should have been an option at the very least), but they want the Q4 to compete/do better than the Model Y/Volvo XC40, so they will low ball the Q4 at $45,000 and then the options add up to (insert price here).

I don't know, just trying to make sense of why we don't at least have the option for an ID4 Max.

·
VW 2018 Tiguan SEL Premium 4Motion
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I know little of the differences between VW or Audi except Audi costs more, but here are some of my thoughts... more than likely wrong, but what the heck:

Top of the line ID4 is around $45,000. Bottom of the line Q4 is "supposed" to be $45,000. What if the Q4 is the ID4 Max edition for the US? VW obviously wants to come in at a basement EV price to gain a foothold in the US. They already do well in Europe so they are not as pressed to offer the lowest amount, and can offer higher level packages that cost more.

So VW doesn't offer the highest trim in the US (which I think it should have been an option at the very least), but they want the Q4 to compete/do better than the Model Y/Volvo XC40, so they will low ball the Q4 at $45,000 and then the options add up to (insert price here).

I don't know, just trying to make sense of why we don't at least have the option for an ID4 Max.
Questions about the pricing structure for the ID.4 and the Q4 were discussed in an article I read a few months ago. Since both are on the same platform we may expect significant amount of cross shopping between the two models. How would VW Group separate the two vehicles from a price perspective is indeed the big question and not only for the US but also for Europe. Perhaps you are onto something here.
Frankly I can't imagine what VW was thinking with the ID.4 trims for the USA. Hey, they offered the heat pump to Canada but not to the USA. Perhaps heat pumps are currently in short supply. 😊

·
Proud FE owner
970 Posts
Perhaps heat pumps are currently in short supply. 😊
Could be some thing to that. Tesla may be stockpiling them:

·
VW 2018 Tiguan SEL Premium 4Motion
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Could be some thing to that. Tesla may be stockpiling them:
Brilliant! Perhaps that is indeed the reason.

·
248 Posts
I’m paying 43,995 plus delivery charges for 1st Edition. I get 10k back in incentives after that. I think 33,995 plus delivery for this car is a steal without those options. The top car in Europe will be 57k Euros. That’s a lot for those extras. But to each his own.....

·
Proud FE owner
970 Posts
I’m paying 43,995 plus delivery charges for 1st Edition. I get 10k back in incentives after that. I think 33,995 plus delivery for this car is a steal without those options. The top car in Europe will be 57k Euros. That’s a lot for those extras. But to each his own.....
I'm feeling the same way. I was looking at the Tiguan SEL before this. I'm still feeling good with the ID.4 1st. The elimination of the illuminated logo bugs me though - unfortunate bean counter move.

I had a reservation for the 2012 New Beetle Turbo Launch Edition. I ended up cancelling the $495 reservation fee and purchased a 2012 CC Sport. That car basically ended up a base model with stickers. When I made the reservation for the ID.4, I was expecting some short of the hype.

VoA can, and should, get much better about having comprehensive details at time of launch. All of it would have been known when pricing decisions were made.

·
29 Posts
I'm keeping my reservation. However, I'm going to try and hold out long enough to find out what the Audi Q4 offers. It may be out of my price range anyways.

I have a 2011 Volvo XC90 with 130,000+ miles that is too expensive to repair, but paid off. If it breaks down sooner than later, then I'll get the ID4 without hesitation. If it can last longer, I can than weigh my options.

·
37 Posts
I canceled my reservation earlier today for most of the same reasons.
I just cancelled my 1st reservation as well. Typical sales bait & switch. VW has always been the Audi Stepchild and the ID.4 is no different. I've had several Audis and can wait for the "real" version.
So, if someone wants a white 1st, give VW a call..

·
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 09/29/2020
45 Posts
I have a reservation for an ID.4 AWD Pro (not and ID.4 1st Edition), however, I will not complete the purchase if the tech I want is not onboard. I guess I will not know what tech is on board before I get a chance to test drive and inspect a demo vehicle. It would be helpful if VW America provides a vehicle configurator like the one for the ID.3 shown at this link: https://www.volkswagen.de/de/modelle-und-konfigurator/id3.html
I agree with you 100% - I'm on the same page like you - I want certain techs in the car or it's a no go ! I do love VW and I'm thrilled that the ID 4 comes to the US - been from Germany and been able to configure cars like I want - it's hard to just eat what you get - lol - I got the 2018 Tiguan SEL - P also because it has everything LOL the 360 camera is so nice .. love it .. not on the ID4 ?? why ?? did you look at the Mustang Mach - E ??? it has everything I want LOL but it's a FORD !!!!! :)

·
170 Posts
I'm closer and closer to moving with eTron. I can get the premium plus unit loaded with good discounts that bring it close to 55k before tax incentives. It's a bigger car with plenty of space and I do like the way it runs. The three days i had it on a loan i got 250 mile range out of it with really little effort. All it takes is not sprinting from stop and just taking care to coast. Given the equipment level i think it's close to no brainier honestly. Plenty of eTron stock to move and dealers are motivated to move them.

·
248 Posts
I'm closer and closer to moving with eTron. I can get the premium plus unit loaded with good discounts that bring it close to 55k before tax incentives. It's a bigger car with plenty of space and I do like the way it runs. The three days i had it on a loan i got 250 mile range out of it with really little effort. All it takes is not sprinting from stop and just taking care to coast. Given the equipment level i think it's close to no brainier honestly. Plenty of eTron stock to move and dealers are motivated to move them.
Wow, pretty good deal? All of them around me are mid 60’s to mid 70’s. What was your sticker price? They say the range is only 218? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,213 Posts
But .....
.. It's a bigger car ..
Quite a bit bigger actually as it's between a Q5 and a Q7. For me the ID.4 is as big as I want. In fact I'd be happy with slightly smaller. So, different considerations for different folks.

But you can't go wrong with the current Audi eTron, once you get past the sticker shock. ;)

Have you rather considered awaiting the Q4, whenever it arrives (2022 likely)? Between Q3 and Q5 in size.

·
170 Posts
Have you rather considered awaiting the Q4, whenever it arrives (2022 likely)? Between Q3 and Q5 in size.
I did consider that but ... I wanted to take advantage of still reasonably decent solar panel and charging station federal credit and I am not much for gambling with potential future stay of such credit. For now, they are slated to decrease next year so it is kind of additional incentive to pull the trigger this year rather than later. 30% off panel installation in tax credits is not something to just walk away from, especially if I can pretty much charge the car off panels to full.

Quite a bit bigger actually as it's between a Q5 and a Q7.
I did park it next to my Q5 and apart from wheel base difference, it is not that dramatic. I mean, it is 193" versus 182.6″, allegedly, but it does not feel that much of a monster when inside and driving. I did not have any problems with turn radius or running into stuff. There is price fear factor, that is for sure.

What was your sticker price?
MSRP was close to 77k but if you find motivated dealership to get rid of the stock ... There are incentives on top of incentives, special discounts, and whatnot. At the end of the day, since I can easily walk away from the deal, I am willing to go extra mile and squeeze them as much as possible. Also, I have my eye on a fully loaded 2019 Edition One with very low mileage (~5k) that will go to market soon, so that is a backup for me as well.

They say the range is only 218?
I am not concerned anymore, having spent 3 days driving it back and forth to work and around town. If you keep the accelerator under control and do not drag race from stop, it is pretty efficient. I was able to hit EPA rating on it on the second run and then far exceed the ratings. My last trip back to dealership to drop the loaner off was at close to 3.3 m/Kwh (111 MPGe), which would give me easily 240-250 miles of range. I live in a very hilly area so getting anywhere means climbing up hills, no matter where I go. The worst I got was 1.9 m/kWh (63 MPGe), but then again, I did not drive it the way I would drive the gas car for sure. There is a learning curve to it and anybody expecting exactly the very same number they put on EPA rating is just foooling themselves, no matter what platform they drive. It takes work and change in driving habits but after that, it is hard to go back.

·
214 Posts
I did consider that but ... I wanted to take advantage of still reasonably decent solar panel and charging station federal credit and I am not much for gambling with potential future stay of such credit. For now, they are slated to decrease next year so it is kind of additional incentive to pull the trigger this year rather than later. 30% off panel installation in tax credits is not something to just walk away from, especially if I can pretty much charge the car off panels to full.
Not sure if you are thinking of the federal tax credit, but 30% was phased out at the end of 2019. It went to 26% last year, and was supposed to be 22% this year (and expiring before 2022).

At the end of 2020, the 26% rate was extended through 2022. It will drop to 22% for 2023, and then expire unless additional changes are made.

So currently, as long as you install before the end of next year, there won't be any difference in savings.

·
214 Posts
It is federal plus local, which still works up to 30% effective. Thanks for confirmation, though @mmcbtx
If I could be so lucky as to have easy access to local incentives. Once the ID.4 arrives, and I work toward completion of my electrification, I'm going to need more panels and probably want batteries. I'm still better off at 26% than I would have been before the extension, though.

·
170 Posts
Indeed, there is no doubt that any discounts off panel installation are helpful. With the system I installed in 2019, I had 2020 come close to net zero in terms of energy consumption from the grid. Summer months produced a major surplus that was used up in winter months. That dropped my bill by at least 150 / month on average, so I am estimating ~6 years for the system to become net zero in terms of costs. Now I would like to build the system out and hopefully get to similar situation with car charging, though I am capped at 10 kW capacity

21 - 40 of 73 Posts