Volkswagen ID Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
22 Posts
Any new info re: HUD in North America for ID4 AWD? Will we get it as an OTA later in 2022?? Or will it have to be installed as an after market?

Also, any new info on Audi Q4? Have they released prices? Does it have HUD? Audi eTron battery charging curve seems superior to ID4.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
822 Posts
Any new info re: HUD in North America for ID4 AWD? Will we get it as an OTA later in 2022?? Or will it have to be installed as an after market?

Also, any new info on Audi Q4? Have they released prices? Does it have HUD? Audi eTron battery charging curve seems superior to ID4.
There is a lot of missing hardware, so nothing in the U.S via OTA. I assume Canadian models will be speced the same way.

Audi might get it - I haven't heard.

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
22 Posts
There is a lot of missing hardware, so nothing in the U.S via OTA. I assume Canadian models will be speced the same way.

Audi might get it - I haven't heard.
I read Audi Q4 eTron will get HUD, and while I prefer its battery charging curve vs ID4, I don’t think Q4 will get glass panoramic roof (which is a feature I love).

It’s too bad VW didn’t include HUD in North America for ID4. I would pay a little extra for it.

·
323 Posts
I read Audi Q4 eTron will get HUD, and while I prefer its battery charging curve vs ID4, I don’t think Q4 will get glass panoramic roof (which is a feature I love).

It’s too bad VW didn’t include HUD in North America for ID4. I would pay a little extra for it.
The big etron has a great charging curve, but I would be very surprised if the Q4 charges any differently from the ID.4. Aside from body panels and interior trim, the cars are mechanical twins.

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
22 Posts
The big etron has a great charging curve, but I would be very surprised if the Q4 charges any differently from the ID.4. Aside from body panels and interior trim, the cars are mechanical twins.
Good point. I think you might be right. In which case, the only big feature that Q4 will have over ID4 will be HUD - probably not enough to sway many to pay more for a Q4. I know the Q4 has a fancier & larger 10” digital cockpit, but I like the clean, simple 5.5” one in the ID4 (as long as they add SoC%in the next OTA).

·
463 Posts
the only big feature that Q4 will have over ID4 will be HUD
The Q4 has paddles to adjust the level of regen, I consider that a big feature.

Reactions: FredT

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
22 Posts
The Q4 has paddles to adjust the level of regen, I consider that a big feature.
Yes, I noticed those. I test drove the Chevy Bolt, which also has a regen paddle, but I used the one pedal driving more. It was easier and/or more intuitive. But I only had the car for an hour. I would like an OTA in the ID4 to allow owners to choose 3 levels of regen in B mode, and have one pedal driving be one of those levels (without any creep). I know VW is trying to persuade ICE car owners with an EV experience that’s not radically different from an ICE car, but they should give owners a choice, not impose one soft level of regen on us all.

·
463 Posts
The paddles adjust the amount of regen when in one-pedal driving, both in B and D modes, and the Q4 has an added 'dynamic mode' of regen that offers more regen than the ID.4. This should mean better one pedal, and adjustable super easy. Except they have not said whether it still has creep.

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
22 Posts
Just wanted to add/edit my comment re: no glass pano roof in Audi Q4. Looks like a glass pano roof will be available as an option. But the final price, avec taxes here in Canada, will be around at least $75K for AWD. I do like the Audi Q4 exterior, and the HUD would be really great, but an extra $13K more than ID4 AWD is too much for an EV which is exactly the same platform/horsepower/torque/battery… also, I don’t think Q4 will qualify for rebates in Canada at that high price.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
640 Posts
The downside to the HUD -- same as with the full drive-display map view in other current Audi models -- is it doesn't integrate w/ Android Auto. So you've got to choose, HUD w/ augmented reality but using internal VW navigation, or AA / CarPlay on the center screen w/ next turn indications on the driver display. Kind of a bummer. Really soured me on the B9 allroad, and made me indifferent on the missing HUD in North America.

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
22 Posts
The downside to the HUD -- same as with the full drive-display map view in other current Audi models -- is it doesn't integrate w/ Android Auto. So you've got to choose, HUD w/ augmented reality but using internal VW navigation, or AA / CarPlay on the center screen w/ next turn indications on the driver display. Kind of a bummer. Really soured me on the B9 allroad, and made me indifferent on the missing HUD in North America.
Thanks for that clarification. How is the internal VW navigation? I heard at first it was slow/glitchy. But perhaps OTA updates have fixed some of those issues?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
822 Posts
Thanks for that clarification. How is the internal VW navigation? I heard at first it was slow/glitchy. But perhaps OTA updates have fixed some of those issues?
For just the map bit, it is sort of adequate. Maybe a little laggy, but it shows you the map, and it gets traffic information from somewhere.

Setting a route is somewhat problematic however. The first challenge is setting the destination - it isn't like Google - it oftentimes fails if you try and use 'incomplete' destinations (like perhaps "Home Depot in Anytown"). And there isn't a way to send an address from your phone (using an app like CarNet) to the car, so you sometimes end up having to type in the full address on the screen which can be tedious.

With an EV, you have the potential need to add charging stops. Here it goes bad to worse. I played with it some - if would pick long stops at Level 2 chargers when there were perfectly good DCFC not far away.

I can try and ask the car to "Navigate to Electrify America in Empora Virginia". It couldn't figure that out. I eventually figured out that I had to tell it to "Navigate to Walmart in Empora, VIrginia" - that it could figure out, but since even this was slightly ambiguous, it offered several possible options, one of which was the 350kW charger there. That was weird. Not every EA stop is at a Walmart however.

I tried a couple of other stops up and down I-95. In Lumberton, NC, it has no awareness that there is EA there at all. I looked all over the local map - no icon for a charger anywhere in the parking lot. That could explain why the navi was picking Level 2 chargers for longer trips.

It may get better in the future, but the best I have found so far is to use ABRP to plan the route, and then send it to the Maps app, which if you are using Google Maps causes the route plan to appear on the headunit. While that gets the basic route into the car, it still has no awareness of the current SOC, GOM, and since it isn't really cognizant of the fact that I am driving an EV, it doesn't try and take into account temperature or elevation changes. So you need to try and adjust for this in your mind and leave extra room if you have a big climb coming up.

Then there are "amenity stops". Let's say you planned to stop at a hotel that has charging, and spend the night. No system I have seen handles this elegantly, but with some manual work, you can sort of come up with a workable plan.

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
22 Posts
For just the map bit, it is sort of adequate. Maybe a little laggy, but it shows you the map, and it gets traffic information from somewhere.

Setting a route is somewhat problematic however. The first challenge is setting the destination - it isn't like Google - it oftentimes fails if you try and use 'incomplete' destinations (like perhaps "Home Depot in Anytown"). And there isn't a way to send an address from your phone (using an app like CarNet) to the car, so you sometimes end up having to type in the full address on the screen which can be tedious.

With an EV, you have the potential need to add charging stops. Here it goes bad to worse. I played with it some - if would pick long stops at Level 2 chargers when there were perfectly good DCFC not far away.

I can try and ask the car to "Navigate to Electrify America in Empora Virginia". It couldn't figure that out. I eventually figured out that I had to tell it to "Navigate to Walmart in Empora, VIrginia" - that it could figure out, but since even this was slightly ambiguous, it offered several possible options, one of which was the 350kW charger there. That was weird. Not every EA stop is at a Walmart however.

I tried a couple of other stops up and down I-95. In Lumberton, NC, it has no awareness that there is EA there at all. I looked all over the local map - no icon for a charger anywhere in the parking lot. That could explain why the navi was picking Level 2 chargers for longer trips.

It may get better in the future, but the best I have found so far is to use ABRP to plan the route, and then send it to the Maps app, which if you are using Google Maps causes the route plan to appear on the headunit. While that gets the basic route into the car, it still has no awareness of the current SOC, GOM, and since it isn't really cognizant of the fact that I am driving an EV, it doesn't try and take into account temperature or elevation changes. So you need to try and adjust for this in your mind and leave extra room if you have a big climb coming up.

Then there are "amenity stops". Let's say you planned to stop at a hotel that has charging, and spend the night. No system I have seen handles this elegantly, but with some manual work, you can sort of come up with a workable plan.
I hope VW developers are scouring theses message boards and parsing through all the suggestions. There’s a lot at stake to get this tech stuff right. If they’re wise, they will invest whole heartedly and focus on making the tech really good, and try to attract the best developers from around the world.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts