Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Head-up Display for USA ID.4

34K views 74 replies 32 participants last post by  ericy 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the USA version of the ID.4 would ship with the head-up display? This feature is not mentioned in the specs on the US reservation website.

#4 ·
In Europe, HUD shows in the "1st max" features, not in the EU "1st" (they have two trim levels for the 1st, and not in our U.S. 1st feature list. It would be a super nice surprise, but I don't think we get it. (Or, the winter heat pump which is also in the 1st max). There might be a plastic or glass sheet in the dash under the front window for the projector. I've been studying the pictures, but don't seen anything like that on our U.S. first. I really want a 1st max (no white steering wheel), but probably could not afford it anyway.

#7 ·
I just called too, they said (after some checking behind the scenes), it is not a feature that we are getting in the U.S. on any of the current ID.4 models, but may be available in future models. I too asked if it could be installed later as a VW accessory and they don't know.

#8 ·
What we might reason in their positioning of the 1st and Pro w/Statement+Gradient is that they aren't intended to be the premium trim. The CR-V and RAV-4 premium trims have HUD. Could there be a Max coming to NA in the future?

I find it interesting that the Mazda CX-5 hasn't been mentioned. It would certainly fall within the range. It's premium trim has HUD. I would estimate 10x CX-5's to CR-V/RAV-4's near me.

#10 ·
I have a reservation for an ID.4 AWD Pro (not and ID.4 1st Edition), however, I will not complete the purchase if the tech I want is not onboard. I guess I will not know what tech is on board before I get a chance to test drive and inspect a demo vehicle. It would be helpful if VW America provides a vehicle configurator like the one for the ID.3 shown at this link: https://www.volkswagen.de/de/modelle-und-konfigurator/id3.html

#13 ·
The US-market model is missing the following features (no option to upgrade and cannot be installed aftermarket despite VW's suggestions):

1. Heat pump
2. Augmented reality heads-up display
3. Matrix headlights (by regulation)
4. 3D LED taillights
5. Adaptive suspension
6. 360 degree surround view camera

Just omitting the heat pump is probably enough to cancel my 1st edition since much cheaper cars have it (even VW's own e-Golf in the US!). The clear cost-cutting of features for the US market and still asking almost 50K for a fully loaded AWD Pro without any of these features is unacceptable.

#16 ·
I'm probably still a "go", but have been annoyed since day one about several of the missing features. With incentives, it is more of a $40,000 car, but still. EV manufactures tend to slash the price as the incentives go away, I really think they "add" the $7,500 in many cases. Just look at the BOLT deals, with the fed tax incentive expired. I go through EVs pretty quickly (one to two years, definitely financially irresponsible), so If I like it, maybe a later VW trade-in when some or all of these features are available. Otherwise, especially if the incentives come back across the board, I might finally try a Model 3 (said to be getting a heat pump, or at least the option). OTOH, there are going to be so many new models to choose from in two or three years. I was just reading about the new Volvo "XC40 Recharge" EV online last night. (If you click through the pages, there is a contest, they are giving away one.)

I originally knew about the Matrix headlights from the U.S. 1st lists of features, but have been watching so many reviews from around the world, I totally forgot we don't get them, that is definitely a bummer.

It seems to be a standard answer from VW corporate, that your dealer may be able to later install some 3rd parting feature. Forget about the heatpump as a later installed upgrade for sure, there would be all kinds of controls, valves, and refrigerant lines. The HUD seems more likely to at least be a "possible" dealer installed feature, but I am sure (even it were a possible VW dealer upgrade, it probably is not) it is a very bad idea to take apart the dash of a brand new vehicle, just in terms of sounds, rattles, and squeeks.
Agreed.
My new target is the Q4 e-tron. I hope Audi does not follow the path taken by VW.

#18 ·
Agreed.
My new target is the Q4 e-tron. I hope Audi does not follow the path taken by VW.
I would also follow the same path but I don't want to spend money on luxury appointments. I was really looking forward to the ID4 since it represented the ideal balance between modern technology and mainstream appointments, but it appears that dream is dashed for now, at least in the US. Since I live in a cold climate, the only real long range mainstream EV options available to me are either a Nissan LEAF or a Kia Niro EV (both with heat pump). I'll probably take a short term lease until hopefully VW America stops neutering the US market ID4.

#17 ·
I have a HUD in my BMW, I enjoy it when I can see it. As soon as I put on my sunglasses... it disappears. Having a HUD is not a concern/need for me.

#28 ·
I'm feeling the same way. I was looking at the Tiguan SEL before this. I'm still feeling good with the ID.4 1st. The elimination of the illuminated logo bugs me though - unfortunate bean counter move.

I had a reservation for the 2012 New Beetle Turbo Launch Edition. I ended up cancelling the $495 reservation fee and purchased a 2012 CC Sport. That car basically ended up a base model with stickers. When I made the reservation for the ID.4, I was expecting some short of the hype.

VoA can, and should, get much better about having comprehensive details at time of launch. All of it would have been known when pricing decisions were made.

#29 ·
I'm keeping my reservation. However, I'm going to try and hold out long enough to find out what the Audi Q4 offers. It may be out of my price range anyways.

I have a 2011 Volvo XC90 with 130,000+ miles that is too expensive to repair, but paid off. If it breaks down sooner than later, then I'll get the ID4 without hesitation. If it can last longer, I can than weigh my options.

#33 ·
I'm closer and closer to moving with eTron. I can get the premium plus unit loaded with good discounts that bring it close to 55k before tax incentives. It's a bigger car with plenty of space and I do like the way it runs. The three days i had it on a loan i got 250 mile range out of it with really little effort. All it takes is not sprinting from stop and just taking care to coast. Given the equipment level i think it's close to no brainier honestly. Plenty of eTron stock to move and dealers are motivated to move them.

#39 ·
If I could be so lucky as to have easy access to local incentives. Once the ID.4 arrives, and I work toward completion of my electrification, I'm going to need more panels and probably want batteries. I'm still better off at 26% than I would have been before the extension, though.

#40 ·
Indeed, there is no doubt that any discounts off panel installation are helpful. With the system I installed in 2019, I had 2020 come close to net zero in terms of energy consumption from the grid. Summer months produced a major surplus that was used up in winter months. That dropped my bill by at least 150 / month on average, so I am estimating ~6 years for the system to become net zero in terms of costs. Now I would like to build the system out and hopefully get to similar situation with car charging, though I am capped at 10 kW capacity

#41 ·
WRT eTron: $55K before TC makes for a very compelling deal. For a extra $10K over the price of an undiscounted ID.4 FE, one gets ALL of the "wanna haves" people are talking about here on this forum: including heat pump, surround view, HUD, AWD, one size larger and the Audi label with the super luxury interiors that Audi is justly famous for. The disadvantage of a car that is in it's second year of production is largely offset by the price. Plus, the ID.4 FE is likely to see at least as large a 3-yr depreciation as the eTron because both will have the same range when EV's in 3 years will be marketing much longer ranges. I'll have a long look at eTron deals at the time the AWD Pro shows up and if I can score a similar deal, it will be hard to pass up. Particularly as the Q4 eTron is unlikely to be seeing any discounts on introduction.

#42 ·
There is also one more thing to consider: software stability. Most, if not all, strange quirks should be out of Audi systems by now. ID.4 will be still in pretty much public beta for a while.
Another thing that is pretty nice to have is a flat 150kW charging curve in Audi. I do not believe ID.4 will have it similar.

#44 ·
There is also one more thing to consider: software stability. Most, if not all, strange quirks should be out of Audi systems by now. ID.4 will be still in pretty much public beta for a while.
Another thing that is pretty nice to have is a flat 150kW charging curve in Audi. I do not believe ID.4 will have it similar.
How would you know that ID.4 will not have a flat curve (although 125kw max)?

#45 ·
Not to turn this into ebay motors, but for anyone who is interested:

Off Lease Only Used 2019 Audi e-tron Prestige Quattro for sale in Florida

This one was $89K new and now asking $55k with 20k miles and has the Edition One package, and looks like it has everything else. I have bought from these folks before and it is a very straightforward process. The price stated is the price and there is no haggling and they will ship. When I bought a MKZ hybrid there a few years ago the finance guy told me that on an average month they move 1200 cars thru Orlando alone.

#46 ·
Not to turn this into ebay motors, but for anyone who is interested:

Off Lease Only Used 2019 Audi e-tron Prestige Quattro for sale in Florida

This one was $89K new and now asking $55k with 20k miles and has the Edition One package, and looks like it has everything else. I have bought from these folks before and it is a very straightforward process. The price stated is the price and there is no haggling and they will ship. When I bought a MKZ hybrid there a few years ago the finance guy told me that on an average month they move 1200 cars thru Orlando alone.
It’s unclear if @mmmzon is talking about a new or used e-tron. $55k for a used e-tron doesn’t seem all that special, plenty low-mileage models listed for sale at or below that price on autotrader. $55k for a new one is a screaming deal, however, especially when you consider that’s before the $7500 federal tax credit.

#47 ·
That was a new one medium trim. However it seems like the dealership I was working with is now backpedaling on the price to the tune of more than 12k, making the previous 55k cost now close to 67k. Still new and still appetizing but lesson learned here is to get the damn things on paper. It would come at 58k after all tax incentives, which bring sit 18k more than ID.4 I reserved. With that much of a gap it is substantially less of a attractive offer.

#50 ·
I only see the Audi graph.

#51 ·
If you look at the study of battery degradation by manufacturer, on average team VW does better, less degradation, than Tesla based on real world data.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.