Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try to remove the headrest on your ID4? I bought a VW trash bag from vwparts.com and said it was compatible with the ID4. Tried removing headrest to mount the trash bag that would hang behind the passenger front seat, but no go. Looked in the manual and it shows two options, neither of which I was able to do. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
There's probably a mechanism preventing the headrest from being removed completely. This is likely because without the headrests in place, the vehicle does not meet its crash test standards. This is quite common today in new vehicles (at least in the U.S., where we can't be trusted to not put ourselves in harms way and then turn around and sue people for our own doings). See if this video helps you.

EDIT: if that method doesn't work, try the one below. I think the first video will do it for you, as that's how front headrests on other VW models currently on sale work (e.g., Tiguan, Atlas).

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Tried this. Still didn't work. Took it to VW sand tech couldn't get it off. Oh well.
Weird. Did you try any of the other methods shown, for example the one that applies to other current VW’s (the first video I posted)?

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weird. Did you try any of the other methods shown, for example the one that applies to other current VW’s (the first video I posted)?
Yes, tried them all. I ordered a VW nylon slim trash bag that said it was compatible with the ID4, but it fits on the seatposts of the headrest which I was trying to remove. I ended up tying the seat bin with shoe laces to the seatposts. With the headrest in the down position you can't really see the tie job, so I guess that's how it's going to be.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Are there little pin holes in the collars that the headrest posts are inserted into? If there are, try inserting a paper clip into the holes and see if a metal pin pops out. Some manufacturers use this method to prevent the headrests from being removed. I don’t have my ID.4 yet so I can’t take a look myself.

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are there little pin holes in the collars that the headrest posts are inserted into? If there are, try inserting a paper clip into the holes and see if a metal pin pops out. Some manufacturers use this method to prevent the headrests from being removed. I don’t have my ID.4 yet so I can’t take a look myself.
I didn't see any but I'll check again.

·
16 Posts
Anyone try to remove the headrest on your ID4? I bought a VW trash bag from vwparts.com and said it was compatible with the ID4. Tried removing headrest to mount the trash bag that would hang behind the passenger front seat, but no go. Looked in the manual and it shows two options, neither of which I was able to do. Just curious.
I was also trying to remove the headrest and had trouble at first. Unfortunately the videos are not the correct way to remove this style of head rest.
In the manual on page 91 is the correct way, but it was difficult to figure out.
I found the easiest way was to sit in the back seat, lower the headrest all the way to the bottom, then with your left hand push down and hold on the plastic ring and with your right hand push the headrest up towards the roof. The first position clicks which was throwing me off, but it will come out after that. Hope this helps.

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was also trying to remove the headrest and had trouble at first. Unfortunately the videos are not the correct way to remove this style of head rest.
In the manual on page 91 is the correct way, but it was difficult to figure out.
I found the easiest way was to sit in the back seat, lower the headrest all the way to the bottom, then with your left hand push down and hold on the plastic ring and with your right hand push the headrest up towards the roof. The first position clicks which was throwing me off, but it will come out after that. Hope this helps.
Thank you. I'll try that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts