Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a way to test my car's heat pump? How would I know if it's working or not?
Still trying to troubleshoot abysmal range in low temperatures.

I looked online for photos but couldn't find anything, how would I know if I actually have one installed? (beyond that line item on my invoice)

2023 ID.4 Pro AWD
998 Posts
Can anyone recommend a way to test my car's heat pump? How would I know if it's working or not?
Still trying to troubleshoot abysmal range in low temperatures.

I looked online for photos but couldn't find anything, how would I know if I actually have one installed? (beyond that line item on my invoice)
I would like to know that as well, if there is specific way to check how good/bad Heat pump works.
Currently I am getting amazing efficiency with my car for colder weather but I have no Idea if its because of HP or just from my driving habits

Car Automotive design Vehicle Plant Personal luxury car

This is from Last week. This week its colder and today in -4.5'C I still got 18.8 kWh /100km

2023 ID.4 Pro AWD
998 Posts
Check the refrigerant sticker under the hood: R744 (CO2) means heat-pump is installed. R1234yf refrigerant is used in non-HP vehicles.

Energy consumption on center screen when idling (kWh/h) indicates how much energy goes to battery heating and cabin heating.
I am not sure but I think in Canada its R744 only, R1234yf is US Specific as Canadian 2021/2 models used to come with HP as standard option and so far, only the cars with HP as an option are shipped, so there is no data on if the cars without HP will be shipped with R744 or R1234yf.

1,249 Posts
Energy consumption on center screen when idling (kWh/h) indicates how much energy goes to battery heating and cabin heating.
Can you expand on this a bit? What window shows this?

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This morning I checked my idling consumption, 2.2 kwh/h with heat on, 0.4 without
Yesterday was 3.5 kwh/h, same conditions (seat + steering wheel heater level one, nothing else running)

I have yet to take a deep dive into carscanner, this is my first rodeo.
This seems to be the heat pump measurements?

Green Terrestrial plant Organism Font Grass

107 Posts
Apart from heatpump your ID.4 has cabin PTC heater and separate battery PTC heater (parameter "PTC heater battery current" is battery heater in amps).

Cabin PTC-heater is first in the line of duty to heat up the cabin in the morning, as heatpump takes a few minutes before it can give any significant heat. The cabin PTC-heater kicks in again briefly whenever you turn up the heat, but it will work continuously on very cold winter trips when heatpump becomes less efficient.

Auxiliary HV consumer power (as in Bjorn's video) is a sum of all such additional energy consumers.

18 Posts
Hi, after an unseasonably warm winter we finally got a typical winter day here, so I did some tests. I don't know if I'm monitoring the proper sensors.

This is my typical morning commute. The battery measurement ticks down so fast it's like I'm drinking it through a straw.
Cabin temperature is 17c, seat and steering wheel heater on low, nothing else running (no defrosters)

I took screenshots through the whole drive, here are the start and finish. Still concerned that my heat pump is not performing as it should (I guess I should be glad I have one at all?)
Infotainment is car idling at the end, 2.2kwh/h is the climate control comsumption at standstill (the car being warm at this point)

Product Font Pattern Publication Number
Product Font Pattern Design Number
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car

2021 AWD Pro S on 2.1
3,280 Posts
Interesting that your PTC heater is running at 8.25A which is the same draw as mine without heat pump during heating of the battery. Plus you got a big heat pump draw. Here is the draw for my battery heater (nothing else on) at 20F (-7C), showing it runs for 30 minutes to reach 32F. Did you record the data so you can make a similar graph of your PTC battery heater? I hope your battery heater shuts off much sooner than mine due to the heat pump:

2023 ID.4 Pro AWD
998 Posts
Hi, after an unseasonably warm winter we finally got a typical winter day here, so I did some tests. I don't know if I'm monitoring the proper sensors.

This is my typical morning commute. The battery measurement ticks down so fast it's like I'm drinking it through a straw.
Cabin temperature is 17c, seat and steering wheel heater on low, nothing else running (no defrosters)

I took screenshots through the whole drive, here are the start and finish. Still concerned that my heat pump is not performing as it should (I guess I should be glad I have one at all?)
Infotainment is car idling at the end, 2.2kwh/h is the climate control comsumption at standstill (the car being warm at this point)

View attachment 20610 View attachment 20611 View attachment 20612
In Europe they had to refund some money to those who ordered the car with Heat pump as it was not as efficient as they claimed it to be, so our concerns may be true that its not as efficient as they are claiming.

But from the screenshot I can see commute was 10km only with average speed of 15km. May I know what was the temperature outside? Also was the car parked in a closed garage or outside, on the street?

As @John411iD pointed out earlier, initially it will use PTC heater for instant heat and then switch to heat pump. And as @VW TECHNICIAN pointed out, it used Heat pump to heat up battery so overall, it used a lot of energy heating up battery and cabin initially but by the time it reached higher temperature your commute was already over with very high consumption. In winter EVs are bad/less efficient for short commutes IMO.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts