Volkswagen ID Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Dusk Blue
148 Posts
I really would like to see a test like CarWow's EV range test where they test a number of cars at the same time and cars leave the test whenever the battery is empty (it's like the Great British Baking Show but with cars). It would be great to see how the ID.4 performs against its competitors.
I’m waiting for that too. The one this summer was cool, where the Kona won if memory serves.

·
7 Posts
Claims that the heat pump in the ID3 acually INCREASES energy consumption?

However, it looks different after the nextmove test with the two VW ID.3s. Two examples of the electric car with and without a heat pump were tested while stationary and while driving. While the heat pump remained more economical when stationary and consumed 2.24 kWh less compared to the ID.3 without the extra, the heat pump ID.3 even showed higher consumption when driving - up to 0.7 kWh more.

VW reacts evasively on request
Nextmove suspects the reason behind this is that the VW developers, due to other difficulties with the ID.3, had to attach more importance to the basic skills of the vehicle and have not yet had the opportunity to optimize the efficiency. According to the rental company, the company responded evasively to an inquiry about the test results. But if the data is confirmed, it can be said that buying the heat pump for the VW ID.3 is currently not worthwhile.

However, both comparisons are not 100 percent meaningful. Taken individually, the respective Tesla and VW pairings should be comparable, but not directly with each other. In addition, different environmental conditions could lead to different results. Tesla's heat pump tends to fulfill its promise of efficiency, which VW has not so far.

·
250 Posts
Claims that the heat pump in the ID3 acually INCREASES energy consumption?

Several of the issues that were pointed out in this review have already been fixed with the release of version ME2 software, based on an ID.4 review with the ME2 software. Not clear if this version fixed any of the heat pump questions/issues. The ID.4 production version of software is suppose to be the ME2.1 to be released in January.

·
5 Posts
I’m waiting for that too. The one this summer was cool, where the Kona won if memory serves.
Autoblog (Dutch car website) recently tested the real 100%-0% range of 4 EV's: Tesla model 3, VW ID.3, Kia e-Niro, Hyundai Kona. You can view the video here (and turn on subtitles with automatic translation):

Conclusion available at 25:46.

I viewed the automatic translation, Youtube makes some funny sentences!

·
38 Posts
The conclusion is that the ID models are lagging a little bit right now, but not by a significant margin. Hopefully they manage to close the gap with better software soon. Kia has the best efficiency and excellent track record for battery safety and longevity. I would keep an eye on their next model based on their global ev platform.

·
23 Posts
Autoblog (Dutch car website) recently tested the real 100%-0% range of 4 EV's

I viewed the automatic translation, Youtube makes some funny sentences!
The automatic translation was mostly worthless. It looked like part of the test was to see how much distance they could get after the batteries were showing as fully depleted, is that correct? What was the conclusion?

·
5 Posts
Agree that automatic translation is almost useless in this case. Therefore, skip to the end of the video to see the results.

Indeed, main goal was to see how much range is left after the car indicates it is empty. Secondly, the results gave an indication of real total range in less than optimal weather conditions compared to published WLTP figures.

·
5 Posts
I had a RAV4 EV that ran out of juice at the continental divide a few hundred yards from making it to the downhill side in the Eisenhower Tunnel. Nightmare situation, but I felt I had plenty of juice and turned on the heat for the last 10 miles with 30 miles of range showing on the guess-o-meter. It was below zero with snow in the middle of the night and the battery just froze up.
EPIC!

·
19 Posts
81 - 91 of 91 Posts