Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Heat sources for the heat pump

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  splee999 
Not relevant to the thread, but I REALLY wish I’d kept that e-Golf. Only had it for a year but it was the perfect urban EV. Never had a single problem or complaint. It was a very impressive first effort from VW. :cry:
We still have our 2018 SEL Premium. It's awesome in pretty much every way, except for long road tripping. So fun to drive. Rock-solid reliable as well.

Exactly. Not really suitable for road trips, but great in most other respects. I have read accounts of road trips in an e-Golf though. It can be done, but you better be really good at planning your stops, and not be in any hurry to reach your destination. :)
Before we got the ID.4, we did a few mini road trips from the Boston area around New England, no more than 250 miles in a day. But you’re correct: it took planning, and you can’t be in a hurry.

I think it taught me what to expect with road tripping in an EV, and got us out of the “ICE mind” road trip mentality, to chill out and relax when road tripping. The ID.4 seems so much easier now in comparison.

Count me as one still missing my '16 e-Golf SE (no heat pump). Only one warranty repair was the horn shorted out, the backup camera wouldn't activate randomly but it was not easily reproducible so I just dealt with it. I traded it with either 68k or 70k miles and it was still solid and looked and drove like a new car. I have seen it roaming around about ½ dozen times (it has a very distinctive Wolfsburg crest decorative front plate that was not removed after I traded it) as new owner must live in a nearby neighborhood, I smile every time I see it knowing it was a very good car to me for ~3 years and hoping its treating its new owner just as well. Now the bad that made me trade - winter range was abysmal (maybe 40-45 miles) because of no heat pump and the smaller 2015-2016 battery.
40-45 miles? Ouch! Our 2018 e-Golf with the bigger battery and heat pump still has a winter range when temps are in the teens and twenties above 100 miles (EPA range with the bigger battery is 125~ miles). In real world moderate/summer temps with local driving it's more like 150-160 miles — it's a champion coaster when in D mode for sure, and we almost always see 5+ miles per kWh in non-winter, local driving. I've even seen it go as high as 6 miles/kWh in optimal conditions. If they made an MEB version of the e-Golf with heat pump and double the range of the original, it'd be a no-brainer for us. Would be even better if it was a station wagon variant.