Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. New member here in Cincinnati,OH. I placed an order for a 1st edition ID.4 (in blue) on the first day. Currently have a Tesla Model 3 SR+ and a VW Atlas. ID.4 will replace the Atlas and make us a 100% EV household.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SR+ has been great. It’s my wife’s daily. The only thing I’d criticize are some fit and finish issues that were (mostly) resolved. It drives wonderfully and is very efficient. Supercharger network is great. I thought of getting a Model Y as my daily, but it’s not that interesting to have two very similar cars. The ID.4 should do everything I need at a much better price point. Plus I like VWs and it will be interesting to see how the VW EV experience compares. What really sold me on the ID.4 1st was the included tow hitch. Now I don’t have to install one myself or pay another $1000+ as a dealer option.

·
230 Posts
Do you lose a lot of battery in the winter with the heating? I know they don’t have heat pumps in 3 yet but they will soon.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Range is noticeably less in winter, but I also put snow tires on the 3, so I don’t know how much range loss is caused by that as opposed to heating. It’s hard to estimate how much less range there is in the winter because unless we’re on a long trip, the range of +-240 miles is more than enough for us. I’ve done long trips in the Tesla in summer, not yet in winter. That’s where it might become an issue. I’m planning to stick with the all-seasons on the ID.4 instead of dedicated snows, at least until I’ve had a chance to see how it does in cold weather.

·
67 Posts
Hi, everyone. New member here in Cincinnati,OH. I placed an order for a 1st edition ID.4 (in blue) on the first day. Currently have a Tesla Model 3 SR+ and a VW Atlas. ID.4 will replace the Atlas and make us a 100% EV household.
I'm also from Cincinnati and placed an order for a 1st Edition in white on the first day and am working with Rob at Fairfield VW. Other vehicles are an Acura MDX to handle trips and inclement weather and a 2017 Miata RF LE for fun. Thinking about selling the Miata since I only have a 2 car garage and would hate to leave it outside all the time. I'm not exactly sold yet on electric and have been told to definitely drive a Tesla Model 3 prior to committing to the ID4. I'd be curious what you think. Thanks.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would agree that you should drive the Model 3 before committing. I am not expecting the ID.4 to be as fun to drive as the Model 3 (201hp vs. 280ish, and major weight difference), but I'm excited about it for other reasons. All versions of the Model 3 are very quick (SR+ is actually pretty light for an EV at 3600 lbs.) and it is just a joy to drive. If you have an MDX for trips and mulch runs, I think a Model 3 might make you feel better if you do let the Miata go. I'm excited about the ID.4 as a replacement for my Atlas (2.0), which has 235hp and 258lb-ft. for 4200 pounds. The ID.4 has the equivalent of 201hp and 228lb-ft. for 4500 pounds, so...yeah. But I've been waiting for an EV that has the right combination of interior space, a tow hitch, decent range and doesn't cost huge money. The ID.4 fits the bill, and I like the design and think it'll be a great vehicle for the US market. But do give the Model 3 a try as well. I have a motorcycle for fun -- it fits in my 2-car garage along with both cars.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And no matter which EV you choose, I think you'll like driving electric. EVs are great for 95% of the driving most people do. I don't miss buying gas at all, and instant torque is great.

·
67 Posts
And no matter which EV you choose, I think you'll like driving electric. EVs are great for 95% of the driving most people do. I don't miss buying gas at all, and instant torque is great.
I sold my motorcycle when I bought my Miata. It definitely fit well in the garage with the other vehicles and the riding mower. I think having an EV might suit us well. I am torn between lease versus purchase considering depreciation, battery technology changes coming, EV adoption, and resale. I'm curious what you are going to do. The VW definitely won't hold its value like the Tesla. It also bothers me how slow Ohio has been in the promotion and adoption of EVs. It seems like we are penalized rather than encouraged to move to electric vehicles. Also, there is a lack of EA charging stations in Cincinnati (ONE), so we'll have to always charge at home. Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When we got the Tesla the choice between buying and leasing was easy because there were still federal tax incentives available for Teslas, the Tesla lease option was not attractive, and resale values are strong for the Model 3. With the full federal tax credit still available for VWs, I am leaning toward buying unless the lease is very compelling. Tesla leases are generally not good deals, but there have been some pretty good ones for Chevy Bolts. Will have to see. I am far more concerned about EA improving its highway charging network than putting multiple charging stations in town. It's actually really nice to charge at home. We set the state of charge to maintain at 80% and leave the car plugged in whenever it's in the garage. Don't even have to think about it. We've used a Tesla supercharger in Cincinnati one time in a year and a half of ownership. On a long highway trip you need stations every 100 miles. Tesla network is there now for most places we want to go and I've never had a problem charging the Tesla on a trip. EA is getting there, but isn't as comprehensive or reliable at present from what I've read. I'm hopeful that will improve. I'm with you on Ohio discouraging EV adoption. I don't mind paying my share of road taxes and EV drivers will need to shoulder the burden eventually, but the new BEV (and hybrid!) fees in Ohio are the highest in the country (I think -- haven't checked in a while) and Ohio has a tiny number of EVs on the road. I'm not sure that it was a good idea to do that at this point in the game.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts