Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Help! Car stuck in slow charging mode

8K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  null 
#1 ·
My wife dropped me off at the airport in id.4 and I was on my way to London. There was free wifi on board and naturally I checked id.4 charge. It was showing 25 hour charge estimate to get back from 40% to 80%. I pinged wife that something is off with charge and I spent sometime troubleshooting with her remotely but couldn't solve it.

Car is stuck in some turtle charging mode at 2 kWh (charger is set at 24 amps)
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

The last option where I was changing type of charging in the good bye screen is completely missing (nothing is scrolling down)
Gadget Communication Device Mobile phone Font Portable communications device

Location (where I set home location couple days ago) showing this
Gadget Font Communication Device Display device Electronic device

We tried unplugging the car several times, switching profiles, driving the car for a bit.

Any suggestions what else I can try remotely?

Attachments

See less See more
  • Wow
Reactions: Mrau
#2 · (Edited)
Performance limited charger is most likely. can't you switch to another charger at a different parking lot?
I have it occasionally on some 11KW chargers that do load sharing (like 4 or 5 chargers on one 11KW fuse box).

-wait- rereading this:
you are charing at home and it is slow?
that might be the location charging bug, if you are not on software version 3.x yet.
don't set a location up with firmware version 2.1/2.3/2.4 as the code is usually completely broken.

Disconnect it from the charger, give it 10-15 minutes with a locked car and the key far away (>3 meters) to get all modules to properly sleep, then enter the car to remove any possible charging locations and try again.

#3 ·
It's a home charger. I don't have another charger to try it or at least until I am back. Though that doesn't make sense why there are missing items for charging menu in the car and location function is unavailable.

It's latest 3.1 software

#4 · (Edited)
that’s interesting, as 3.1 should be ok.
Some module is out of whack.

typically these modules need a good 12v power and some time to boot.
Make sure you sit in the car, lock your seatbelt, wait 15 seconds or so, then press the brake to wake the car up further, then wait for all test lights to go off before going in drive.

what your wife could try is above procedure, but instead of waiting 15 seconds, wait a full
Minute or so until the infotainment is fully booted, and the recent trips in the nav favorites are all green.
Take the car for a 5 minute drive around the block, park and try again.

additionally you could try to power cycle the home charger. Not sure what brand it is?
Is there a chance it it a smart charger that also monitor the total power consumption of the house? We have those here across the channel and the limit the output dynamically to stay below the maximum the fuses can supply. With the cold you might be diverting loads of power to warming the house? (Just thinking out loud)

#5 ·
Thanks I will try these suggestions. The charger I bought is not a smart charger it lets you switch amps and that's about it. I will ask her to power cycle it too and will update.

#6 ·
Good luck 👍
It’s hard to diagnose from a distance. If I had the issue myself I would have plugged in a dongle and checked the offered amperage from the charger, the negotiated speed and see if there are any errors in the charging and battery management modules.

now it stays a guessing game.
Final tip: if the car can’t lock the charger cable it will stay in a slow charging mode to protect from sparks if the cable would be pulled unexpectedly.

when replugging the cable, lift it up slightly and press it in firmly, holding it there for a second or two until you hear the car latch the connector, and the led turns green.
Might want to give it a modest pull after that to verify it is now locked to the car.

after that I’m truly out of ideas

#7 ·
Probably not your charger. This has been reported a few times and seems to be a software glitch. Best to try unplugging and let car rest for a couple hours.

Also double check that Reduced Charging has not been turned on somehow. When that is turned on and plugged into 240v charger the rate will be 2 kWh.

Since the software doesn't show any location and states "not available yet", this also points to ID4 software problem.

#8 · (Edited)
My wife dropped me off at the airport in id.4 and I was on my way to London. There was free wifi on board and naturally I checked id.4 charge. It was showing 25 hour charge estimate to get back from 40% to 80%. I pinged wife that something is off with charge and I spent sometime troubleshooting with her remotely but couldn't solve it.

Car is stuck in some turtle charging mode at 2 kWh (charger is set at 24 amps)
View attachment 18890

The last option where I was changing type of charging in the good bye screen is completely missing (nothing is scrolling down)
View attachment 18893

Location (where I set home location couple days ago) showing this
View attachment 18892

We tried unplugging the car several times, switching profiles, driving the car for a bit.

Any suggestions what else I can try remotely?
Are you sure charger is not restricted at 2kw? It my be able to deliver 24Amps but you can restrict it at lower speeds same like what can be done with home charger, check what is advertised power rating for the charger.

Specially at the airport, it has very high chances that charger is slow. Idea with Airport is, user can park and fly, there is no need for a quick charge in long term parking as people park there for multiple days and charger/parking spot will be unavailable for days. They do not need to provide 24A to each charger, they can have 12 chargers with 2A each, reducing infrastructure cost by a lot.

I think there was a thread related with ethicacy of occupying charging spots at the airport for multiple days when car is done charging as you can not change your parking spot once charging is over but many people said its not an issue with parking there as they are slow chargers and are meant to be occupied even after charging was done.

Check if other cars are charing at low speeds as well, I bet they are too.

#13 ·
I didn't enable the setting though. It's a bit difficult to troubleshoot remotely with my wife but even with 2kW she will be fine until I am back.

Reactions: Mrau and ericy
#15 ·
I had this once when I didn't get the cable seated properly. Check if something is in your plug or the vehicle charge port that is preventing it from seating properly. Also confirm reduced AC charging isn't enables as others have suggested. You need to confirm that this is disabled in car and also in the App. I don't think this is the problem though as I believe the charging screen would show that it is reduced charging.

Another idea is to check your EVSE. I can set mine from 8-48 amps. Is it possible that got changed or reset somehow?
Try a public level 2 charger to confirm if the car or the EVSE is the issue.

#16 ·
My experience is with a 2021 1st edition with 2.1 software. However I have found if I park it in my garage and plug into my chargepoint charger, it will often start at a 2 or 3 Kw rate, but if I leave the driver's door open when plugging in it will charge reliably at the rated 9.8 Kw rate. I assume it has to do with keeping it awake when plugging in.

#20 ·
OK, for everyone's benefit, I found the fix for this here:

I did these EXACT steps and it worked to somehow and strangely fix the bug that was capping L2 charging at 2kw:
  • step out of the car (everyone), close all windows
  • lock the car
  • wait a few seconds
  • unlock
  • sit down
  • put on the seatbelt
  • press the brake pedal
That's it. I truly hope this issue does not come back. Holy cow!!

#26 ·
Yup, just followed the steps above… unplug, lock up and walk away far enough that the key is out of range for five or ten minutes. Come back, jump in and put seatbelt on, then press brake to start up. You should see your locations in the charging screen. Plug in and all should be good.

Seems to be a glitch in the startup of the car, it’s only happened the one time but very frustrating.

I hope it resets for you easily!