Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I failed and did not do this before. I live in Valencia, CA and I put a deposit on a Pro ID.4 with Statement and Gradient. I am currently wrestling with whether to AWD or not. I currently lean toward the RWD (my current pre-order), but I don't know what 204 HP in EV feels like. I am coming from a 2011 Camry Hybrid which has been a great car for commutes to Burbank, certainly no muscle car, but the continuously variable transmission was nice and smooth.

Also, I am starting to figure out my EVSE setup and what makes good sense. I am considering the Grizzl-E or even DIY (only because I like that stuff).

Even though I am located in ZEV Prime 1, I still think that my delivery will happen in late Q1. I have no patience and hit refresh A LOT.

Eric

·
91 Posts
Watch some of the driving reviews. AWD will probably be 1 to 1-1/2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile.I think you‘ll be ok with RWD? I’m looking at a few Level 2 chargers. Narrowed down to 3. I can install it in 30 min. My electrical panel is on other side of garage wall. My dealer expects end of year or January for 1st Ed and we are not ZEV?

·
239 Posts
Welcome @egsell! 204 hp will feel like plenty in the ID.4 Especially since power is immediate with EVs. Do you drive anywhere that would require AWD? If not RWD might be the way to go.

Haven't dealt with Grizzl-E so I can't help threre but you might want consider JuiceBox as well.

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome @egsell! 204 hp will feel like plenty in the ID.4 Especially since power is immediate with EVs. Do you drive anywhere that would require AWD? If not RWD might be the way to go.

Haven't dealt with Grizzl-E so I can't help threre but you might want consider JuiceBox as well.
Thats kind of where I landed too. I don't need AWD in my life for function, we don't do snow or desert dunes, but the pickup question is what comes to my mind. I guess I will get to test drive at some point soon.

EVSE wise I've looked at Charge Point and Juice as well as Clipper Creek and all the usual suspects. I've come to the conclusion I don't need a smart charger as the smarts are really in the car and having 2 smart things trying to vie for control could likely create conflicts. I am thinking about this from a network perspective and the issues I've seen in my work life. My neighbor and I will be putting in the circuit at some point soon, like @eldecarlo my breaker is on the other side of the wall where the EVSE will go in the garage, so a 1-3 foot run?

·
10 Posts
I've come to the conclusion I don't need a smart charger as the smarts are really in the car and having 2 smart things trying to vie for control could likely create conflicts.
I understand your logic, but a smart charger enables your electric provider (if you give the provider permission) to change the charging times according to electricity demand. Electricity demand may or may not be a problem in your area, but, as more and more people have EVs and charge them at home, that may place a demand on the local electricity utility, and it benefits the utility to have the ability to adjust the amount and timing of electricity going into EVs and to smooth out the demand curve.

For more information, see this video:
Tom Moloughney talks about this, but I don't know the specific time in the video. Tom has tested several EV chargers for over 10 years.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
106 Posts
My utility company is currently offering a $500 rebate for a connected charger (they are conducting research on charging patterns). Another offered free chargers.

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm down with smart on the backend, i.e OCPP type communication back to the utility to manage peak schedules and rates. I just don't need wifi and an app or any other silliness to manage the device or schedule charging, unless ... IFF the two devices car and charger communicate to each other, which at this point I think is only one way for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts