Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not subscribe to the Verizon Hotspot, and it is seeming like in order to fully utilize Apple CarPlay I need to have the hotspot.

It will not allow me to connect wirelessly to Apple CarPlay without having the Wifi Hotspot turned on. When I turn it on, it will allow wireless Apple CarPlay to where my phone and apps show up on the infotainment system, however it is forcing the phone to use the Wifi Hotspot for data. So if I try to navigate somewhere or stream music or do anything that requires a data connection, it doesn't work because I don't pay for the Verizon Hotspot.

My question is, how do I connect wirelessly to Apple Carplay and still be able to use my phone's AT&T wireless data instead of it forcing me to use the Verizon Hotspot? If I force the phone to use cellular data, it disconnects from Apple Carplay.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you!
Rob

·
141 Posts
I did not subscribe to the Verizon Hotspot, and it is seeming like in order to fully utilize Apple CarPlay I need to have the hotspot.

It will not allow me to connect wirelessly to Apple CarPlay without having the Wifi Hotspot turned on. When I turn it on, it will allow wireless Apple CarPlay to where my phone and apps show up on the infotainment system, however it is forcing the phone to use the Wifi Hotspot for data. So if I try to navigate somewhere or stream music or do anything that requires a data connection, it doesn't work because I don't pay for the Verizon Hotspot.

My question is, how do I connect wirelessly to Apple Carplay and still be able to use my phone's AT&T wireless data instead of it forcing me to use the Verizon Hotspot? If I force the phone to use cellular data, it disconnects from Apple Carplay.
It works for me, although the day my 1 GB of data ran out on the Verizon free trial it didn't work for a few minutes. I think I rebooted the infotainment and then my phone started drawing data from its own AT&T data plan and continued to work via Carplay. Yes, the car's Wifi Hotspot needs to be turned on.

Did you 1GB of free Verizon data just run out? If so, try the iPhone again and see if it works.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hit the paltry 1GB "trial" on day 3 or 4 of owning the vehicle, and it hasn't worked since then. Except it connects wirelessly and shows Carplay, but I can't do anything on it because it is only allowing me to use the Hotspot. How do you reboot the system?

·
141 Posts
I hit the paltry 1GB "trial" on day 3 or 4 of owning the vehicle, and it hasn't worked since then. Except it connects wirelessly and shows Carplay, but I can't do anything on it because it is only allowing me to use the Hotspot. How do you reboot the system?
Hold down the 0/1 power button on the left for a few seconds.

·
16 Posts
In the UK the apple car play uses Bluetooth to connect to the phone. You will need data on your phone for most of the apps to work. Have you tried to hard wire it?

You may need to go to a service centre to get it checked out

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yes, I failed to mention that it woks when connected via USB. So I do have an inelegant workaround, but I'd love to be able to use it wirelessly without having to pay $20/month for the Verizon Hotspot

·
ID.4 Pro S RWD
177 Posts

It will not allow me to connect wirelessly to Apple CarPlay without having the Wifi Hotspot turned on. When I turn it on, it will allow wireless Apple CarPlay to where my phone and apps show up on the infotainment system, however it is forcing the phone to use the Wifi Hotspot for data.
There are two related things going on here. First, the car's setting to turn WiFi on and off is mislabeled. The switch is labeled as if it just turns the hotspot connection on or off, but it actually controls all WiFi. Wireless CarPlay requires WiFi, so this setting must be turned on for it to work, whether you have hotspot service or not.

Second, at some point you probably connected your iPhone to the car using the hotspot. As a result, the iPhone continues to think it can get to the Internet through the car's WiFi. To fix this problem you need to tell your iPhone to forget the car's WiFi network. (Settings > WiFi, then tap the "i" button next to the car's WiFi network and select "Forget This Network"). Once you've done so, the phone should still be able to connect to the WiFi for CarPlay, but it will no longer try to use that connection as a valid path to the Internet.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I will try and do this again, but I could have sworn this is one of the first things I tried. Maybe the reset of the car infotainment system as suggested earlier will certainly clear it? I hope so!

·
141 Posts
To fix this problem you need to tell your iPhone to forget the car's WiFi network. (Settings > WiFi, then tap the "i" button next to the car's WiFi network and select "Forget This Network").
I probably did this also. It was so long ago I forgot.

·
14 Posts
If you don't already. You need to have WiFi assist setting turned on in your iPhone.

Here is the document that explains it from Apple.

Let us know if this helps!

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok now I see Wifi Assist, they buried after the list of every app on my phone. It is turned on, and I think I got it to work by doing the Forget Network thing when I was just in my car. It seems to be working fine. Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
14 Posts
Ok now I see Wifi Assist, they buried after the list of every app on my phone. It is turned on, and I think I got it to work by doing the Forget Network thing when I was just in my car. It seems to be working fine. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Ugh. Indeed these are slightly older. Once you go into "Settings > Cellular" you have to scroll all the way to the bottom. Past all the apps that are installed with their own checkboxes. You should find it right above "iCloud Drive".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts