Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone here has an ID.4 that they have installed a hitch mount bike rack on, can they please recommend it?
I have an allen 3 bike hitch mount rack that I've used through 3 different Tiguans with 1-1/4 and 2" receivers with no problem, however with the ID.4 the post hits the plastic faring about 1/2" before the bolt holes line up. I'm wondering if it's longer because it's a model that works with both 1-1/4" and 2" (with an adapter), and hoping someone here has one mounted that we know works. I definitely don't want to cut a hole in my faring for my bike rack.
Thanks in advance!

·
Blue ID.4 FE, Jan., OR
59 Posts
7" extension from Amazon for around $27?

Reactions: NBCGLX

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dunno man - I ordered the 7" extender from Amazon listed above. I'll let you know how that works out when it arrives on Wednesday.

·
ID.4 1st blue
123 Posts
If anyone here has an ID.4 that they have installed a hitch mount bike rack on, can they please recommend it?
I have an allen 3 bike hitch mount rack that I've used through 3 different Tiguans with 1-1/4 and 2" receivers with no problem, however with the ID.4 the post hits the plastic faring about 1/2" before the bolt holes line up. I'm wondering if it's longer because it's a model that works with both 1-1/4" and 2" (with an adapter), and hoping someone here has one mounted that we know works. I definitely don't want to cut a hole in my faring for my bike rack.
Thanks in advance!
I came across the same issue. Here's a picture showing the problem and where you'd have to trim some plastic. The good thing is it would be easy to do and the modification would be hidden by the hitch receiver and not visible unless you looked for it. Of course, I'm also not keen on trimming plastic on my one-day old car! I was planning on upgrading my bike carrier anyway and will need to take this design into account to make sure the new one can fit. Time to do some research...and there go my plans to mount up my bike this afternoon and go to the good gravel.

·
694 Posts
Could you grind off a little bit of the post so it no longer hits the plastic? At that point the post is not structural so it wouldn't matter if you took a little off.

·
ID.4 1st blue
123 Posts
Yup. I considered that as well. It's solid steel though so I'd need to take it to a machine shop but it's doable.

I just picked up a Thule rack at REI and checked in the parking lot. It fits. Id been looking to upgrade for awhile anyway. Mine is about ten years old and doesn't fold anymore.

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
What is the distance between the locking pin hole and the plastic fairing on the car?

I'd like to see if my current Thile Helium rack will have a problem.

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In summary, I'm an idiot. I looked at the schematics on Allen bikes website and mine has a second hole for a smaller 3/8" bolt that is closer to the end of the rack. I ordered a replacement bolt directly from Allen and don't think mine will be a problem after that.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
935 Posts
Very nice. I presume that this messes up some of the sensors in the back (cross traffic, etc).

If I can't get the Thule roof rack to work without replacing everything, I might go this route. A whole lot easier to load bikes on this thing than it is to put them on the roof of the car (and risk breaking the window).

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
Thanks @sethpo for the photo showing the working room for the rack insert. I have a Thule Helium 970 XT rack. The distance from the center of the pin hole to the end is about 3 cm, so it should fit OK.

·
ID.4 1st blue
123 Posts
Would be awesome if you can post the consumption difference with and without the cycles. Thanks in advance
I'll try and figure that out. My recent trip was only 30 miles and I don't really have a good feel for consumption w/o the racks in various circumstances yet. In mid-May we have reservations at a beach campground near Ocean City MD which is about 150 miles away and will be bringing a bike or two. That should be a good test. I'm also planning on taking a bike or two when we visit my mother (finally!) in Indy in June. That's a 500 mile trip. Hopefully, it won't hurt range too much!!

·
ID.4 1st blue
123 Posts
I presume that this messes up some of the sensors in the back (cross traffic, etc).
When parking it definitely showed red warnings for the rear of the car while pulling forward into the garage. It didn't give any warnings or problems in normal driving. I'm sure backing be harder w/ the camera partially blocked but those huge side mirrors are a great help!

·
215 Posts
I'll try and figure that out. My recent trip was only 30 miles and I don't really have a good feel for consumption w/o the racks in various circumstances yet. In mid-May we have reservations at a beach campground near Ocean City MD which is about 150 miles away and will be bringing a bike or two. That should be a good test. I'm also planning on taking a bike or two when we visit my mother (finally!) in Indy in June. That's a 500 mile trip. Hopefully, it won't hurt range too much!!
Thanks @sethpo. Will keep an eye out on your experiences when that happens

·
94 Posts
I'm looking at the Quik Rack Mach 2 - there aren't many tray-style racks that can take 4 bikes on a 1.5 1.25" receiver. They've got their own delays getting started on production, so we'll see whether they manage to get things moving by the time my FE shows up...

@sethpo: Brunswick station! See you on the C&O! I'd be interested to hear your experience with charging on your Ocean City trip, since there are no EA chargers on the Delmarva peninsula.

(edited to correct typo in receiver size)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts