Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! With the number of programmers I read about on these forums, I figure either some folks must have experience with or interest in integrating ID.4 data -- either from Car-Net or OBD data -- into Home Assistant (hereafter "HA").

I went down a long rabbit hole of trying to integrate some open source WeConnect modules for Python and, separately, HACS (written for and used by European ID owners) after making the bone-headed assumption that WeConnect and Car-Net are simply differently branded variations of the same backend. Spoiler Alert: they aren't. It would seem a special US Car-Net module or integration is required to get data into Python or HA.

Has anyone had luck getting vehicle data (ostensibly through Car-Net) from an ID.4 into HA on 2022 or 2023 model years?

I've read some about a Torque integration for getting OBD data into HACS. Anyone ever used it with their ID.4? Has anyone used alternatives to Torque to get OBD data into HA?

Curious to hear what any of you all have been up to in this space. Thanks!

11 Posts
Howdy! With the number of programmers I read about on these forums, I figure either some folks must have experience with or interest in integrating ID.4 data -- either from Car-Net or OBD data -- into Home Assistant (hereafter "HA").

I went down a long rabbit hole of trying to integrate some open source WeConnect modules for Python and, separately, HACS (written for and used by European ID owners) after making the bone-headed assumption that WeConnect and Car-Net are simply differently branded variations of the same backend. Spoiler Alert: they aren't. It would seem a special US Car-Net module or integration is required to get data into Python or HA.

Has anyone had luck getting vehicle data (ostensibly through Car-Net) from an ID.4 into HA on 2022 or 2023 model years?

I've read some about a Torque integration for getting OBD data into HACS. Anyone ever used it with their ID.4? Has anyone used alternatives to Torque to get OBD data into HA?

Curious to hear what any of you all have been up to in this space. Thanks!
Curious too, I was hoping to find an integration as well…

2,040 Posts
I’m not sure how they’re accessing it exactly, but SmartCar seems to be able to get some ID.4 data via the VW API:

SmartCar is the company that ABRP Premium used to provide ID.4 battery info to the ABRP app up until last week. I’d guess that VW is probably charging SmartCar to access the API, and then SmartCar licenses their own data feed to others.

The question is how can anyone else get access to the car’s API, preferably for free?

4,125 Posts
Pid's can be easily written for python software and expanded by use of cellular network or Wi-Fi network to be integrated into other systems. But I'm strictly against using my free work gathering all of this pids for software companies that are trying to make profit. And this is why my pids are only donated to carscanner app.

29 Posts
Pardon, @VW TECHNICIAN, what are Pids?

@werd you could try using Charles Proxy on your iPhone to see what the MyVW app is talking to, and how (with what authentication etc), and then try to mimic that in python or other custom integration. I’ve done this with other mobile apps with ”private” APIs.

15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for the great responses so far! I think I’m ready to start putting together my own API-based python module, ideally for incorporation into a HACS integration.

@thebuckst0p great call! I wasn’t aware of Charles Proxy. Agreed re: PID. I see it around a lot in regard to OBD, but have never bothered to look it up, hah.

2,040 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the great responses so far! I think I’m ready to start putting together my own API-based python module, ideally for incorporation into a HACS integration.

@thebuckst0p great call! I wasn’t aware of Charles Proxy. Agreed re: PID. I see it around a lot in regard to OBD, but have never bothered to look it up, hah.
PIDs are OBD-II parameter IDs that are used to request data.

15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ahhh Parameter ID. Makes sense. Thanks!

Related, perhaps, to CarNet telemetry, has anyone reading this thread observed bits of their ID4 windshield lighting up in the non-visible spectrum before (link below)? It really is a trip. Fun stuff!

4 Posts
So I was looking into this recently too and discovered there is a new API in Android Auto for getting CarInfo. I think the best way forward is the HA android app to add support for using this API and reporting values to HA. No insecure dongles, no extra EVNotify software or Torque software having to run on the phone all the time.

I've filed this here:

15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I was looking into this recently too and discovered there is a new API in Android Auto for getting CarInfo. I think the best way forward is the HA android app to add support for using this API and reporting values to HA. No insecure dongles, no extra EVNotify software or Torque software having to run on the phone all the time.

I've filed this here:
This is very cool! I wonder if CarPlay has such an API… probably not, hah. I’ll look into it. Thanks for the ide!

2022 ID.4 ProS AWD
261 Posts
There is very limited number of information that you can pull from phone app.
Do you know if it is possible for carplay / android auto to pull the charge state? If so, and it ever gets implemented that would be extremely helpful for route planning with charging.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts