Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any word on VW launching ID.Charger home charging kit? Apparently its been launched in Europe for ID3 . Any third party home charging kits worth considering?

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
106 Posts
Check with your utility company to see if they have a rebate program. If so, they may have a list of approved ones.

Note also that the federal tax credit for purchase and install (30% up to $1,000) may end on 12/31.

·
62 Posts
Everywhere I read the Juicebox comes up as #1

I just wish the Andersen ones were for sale here. They look so cool

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
106 Posts
Chargepoint seems a close runner up to the Juicebox. My utility company will pay me $500 on the Chargepoint (if I let them pull my usage data, wheras Juicebox is not supported).

Prime Day is coming and I'll be watching.

·
Super Moderator
2021 ID.4 Reservation
43 Posts
VW and BMW are partnering with ChargePoint for coastal USA charging corridors.

I’ve seen press on Electrify America as another partnership as well.

mmmmm.... They're partnering with Electrify America......

·
83 Posts
If you don't care much about features on the charger itself, any level 2 home charger will work with the ID.4. I see home chargers listed on my local Craigslist all the time for like $200 from people who sell their EVs. For some people that may be the right option. I got a deal I couldn't refuse on a Chevy Bolt home charger and that's what I have now.

·
16 Posts
I use a Clipper Creek 32 amp 240V Electrical Vehicle Service Equipment (EVSE) I bought 5 years ago when I purchased my first e-Golf. I thought about future proofing to a 50 amp but the driving I do won't require the need to charge any quicker than what I will see with 32 amps max. If the need arises for quicker/stronger charging I can easily bump it up.

These are some of the things everyone needs to consider when you purchase a home charger:
1. Do you need connected smart charging to charge during "Off Peak" periods?
2. How much charging do you Really Need at home; speed, amps, etc? Factors to determine this:
-How much will you drive after you leave home?
-Will you charge in public?
-Is it less expensive to charge at home or in the public? 3 years free Electrify America (EA). None of which are currently convenient for me. I only pay $0.10/KWH 24/7/365 at home. It's hard to beat unless I find a free EVSE.
-What is more convenient for you, home or public/work charging? Free charging at work or close to it?
-What is your turn-a-round time at home to utilize the EVSE prior to departing next? Shorter turn-a-rounds may require the faster, higher AMP EVSE.
3. With the longer range of the ID.4 most people may not need a home charger, especially with the free EA use for 3 years. Why don't we have a range thread yet? 250-320 miles...
4. Cost of purchase and installation. There is a federal tax credit and some states have rebates for installing one at your house.

Those are just a few thoughts some of you that haven't been down this road yet will want to think about. Also, research your local public charging infrastructure for locations and fees on the following apps; Electrify America, EVgo and PlugShare. I hope this helps someone.

Anthony

·
31 Posts
What’s the purpose of installing a juicebox or other EVSE aside from aesthetics? Genuinely curious as I’m planning to just get a 240v outlet installed and call it good.

·
27 Posts
While the ID4 will be 11kW capable, to achieve this one would need (by example) a Juicebox 48, & you would need a 60amp circuit available. Looking around the US, some old houses are only 100 amp service, & most are only 200 amp service. Realistically, in most overnight situations a 6.3 or 7.2kW will suffice. Realize Canada has 3 phase almost all over the place. Same with Europe.

·
41 Posts
What’s the purpose of installing a juicebox or other EVSE aside from aesthetics? Genuinely curious as I’m planning to just get a 240v outlet installed and call it good.
How are you going to connect from your outlet to the car?

·
Super Moderator
2021 ID.4 Reservation
43 Posts
I prefer to hardwire such devices rather than plugging into a standard 220V outlet. It's the ol' electrical engineer in me reducing the variables of another connection point. Same rationale for my generator.
Of course I wouldn't hardwire say a dryer, but again given this opportunity that's the way I'll go. I have a dedicated 220V/60A circuit roughed into my garage and am awaiting 'final' ID.4 insight prior to finish wire installing, although will likely go with the ChargePoint unit.

Plus the ChargePoint and Juicebox have some nice BT-phone features that a generic might not.

·
41 Posts
My understanding is that most EV manufacturers offer a dongle so you can connect to a 240v.
Be aware, from what I have read, the 'dongle' that VW is providing is for 120vac, which only charges at the rate of 3 miles per hr of charge. But I haven't been able to verify that yet. It is one of the questions I have asked my dealer to find out.

·
Super Moderator
2021 ID.4 Reservation
43 Posts
Most pure electrics in NA come with a 120V dongle primarily for travel use as the plug-in availability lowest common denominator. Of course it will take considerably longer to recharge but at least you’ll have the capability. At home you should go for a 220V solution if you can.

·
124 Posts
I prefer to hardwire such devices rather than plugging into a standard 220V outlet. It's the ol' electrical engineer in me reducing the variables of another connection point. Same rationale for my generator.
Of course I wouldn't hardwire say a dryer, but again given this opportunity that's the way I'll go. I have a dedicated 220V/50A circuit roughed into my garage and am awaiting 'final' ID.4 insight prior to finish wire installing, although will likely go with the ChargePoint unit.

Plus the ChargePoint and Juicebox have some nice BT-phone features that a generic might not.
If we really get 220/240 Vac 11kW single phase charging, that could be 48A. The chargepoint flex I installed required #6 romex (6/2 with the ground, NY allows bare stapled Romex), a 60A breaker, and hardwired installation (manual specifically does not allow 48A with a plug, ironically, including the supplied plug).

For me (fellow EE), I needed a new station anyway at the far corner closer to where the ID.4 charge port is (appears to be passenger side rear, which is a little weird), and the longer charge cord (23') gets me to the driveway too. If we got 11 kW single phase ac charging (seems to be the case), I'm good, otherwise, still okay (e.g. if it's only 7.5kW or 9.6kW) I'm set for the near future, and the next EV. Teslas allow 11kW single phase, my guess is VW matched it.

·
41 Posts
The ID.4 will be my first EV and I am starting to look for a home charger. I am finding a confusing array of options and I was wondering if some more experienced EV folks could help guide me. I am retired and I can go days without going anywhere and most of my trips are 60 miles or less, I am thinking I don't need a fast charging 11Kw unit. I don't have WIFI in the detached garage where I will be keeping the car, so I don't see any advantage to a 'smart' charger. The nearest EA charging station is 1.5 hrs away, I did find a PlugShare charging station in the next town over that is free.
Any brands/models you can recommend I look at, or stay away from?
Thanks from a newbie

·
83 Posts
The ID.4 will be my first EV and I am starting to look for a home charger. I am finding a confusing array of options and I was wondering if some more experienced EV folks could help guide me. I am retired and I can go days without going anywhere and most of my trips are 60 miles or less, I am thinking I don't need a fast charging 11Kw unit. I don't have WIFI in the detached garage where I will be keeping the car, so I don't see any advantage to a 'smart' charger. The nearest EA charging station is 1.5 hrs away, I did find a PlugShare charging station in the next town over that is free.
Any brands/models you can recommend I look at, or stay away from?
Thanks from a newbie
Any level 2 home charger (called an EVSE) should work for your needs. JuiceBox and Siemens have good reviews. Lots of people like ClipperCreek and Chargepoint chargers.

This relatively inexpensive Siemens unit sold at Home Depot was the top-rated home charger in WireCutter/NYT's "best home charger" article although I can't find the article right now:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts