Volkswagen ID Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
233 Posts
If you are hardwiring, you would not be required to or want a GFCI breaker, right? ChargePoint recommends not using one for hardwire (nuisance tripping).

·
7 Posts
Chargepoint seems a close runner up to the Juicebox. My utility company will pay me $500 on the Chargepoint (if I let them pull my usage data, wheras Juicebox is not supported).

Prime Day is coming and I'll be watching.

Who's your utility company? I would expect it to be PSE and the only information I can find on a $500 EVSE rebate is a program that ended in 2017. :(

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
233 Posts
Who's your utility company? I would expect it to be PSE and the only information I can find on a $500 EVSE rebate is a program that ended in 2017. :(
I have Snohomish County PUD.

·
105 Posts
If you are hardwiring, you would not be required to or want a GFCI breaker, right? ChargePoint recommends not using one for hardwire (nuisance tripping).
Yes you do not need a GFCI breaker if you hardwire - it is mainly for a NEMA outlet.

·
105 Posts
In case you weren't aware , WA state exempts sales tax on the purchase and installation of EVSE's. So at least those of us with PSE have something...

·
233 Posts

·
19 Posts
VW and BMW are partnering with ChargePoint for coastal USA charging corridors.

I’ve seen press on Electrify America as another partnership as well.
I know this is an older post, but just to clarify... the ChargePoint partnership isn't ongoing. The project was "completed" in September 2016, before the existence of Electrify America (which is a subsidiary of Volkswagen Group of America): BMW, Volkswagen, and Chargepoint announce completion of electric vehicle express charging corridors on the East and West coasts

·
3 Posts
I've recently received a ClipperCreek HCS-50/Nema 6-50 home charger. I purchased the unit based upon it not requiring WiFi and very favorable Amazon reviews. My electrical panel is approximately 50 feet away, from the intended home charger location. So, I'm getting my "stuff" done early and taking advantage of this year's tax incentive, for home charging installations. I've ordered a fully loaded dual motor, White, black interior model.

·
Super Moderator
2021 ID.4 Reservation
110 Posts
Yes, it appears that Electrify America is doing the bulk of the infrastructure at this point. My VW dealership has a ChargePoint parking area and there is an Electrify America station on a main highway in my immediate area nearing completion.

I know this is an older post, but just to clarify... the ChargePoint partnership isn't ongoing. The project was "completed" in September 2016, before the existence of Electrify America (which is a subsidiary of Volkswagen Group of America): BMW, Volkswagen, and Chargepoint announce completion of electric vehicle express charging corridors on the East and West coasts

·
Super Moderator
2021 ID.4 Reservation
110 Posts
Just to close the loop on my ChargePoint Plug-in installation (6-50 socket and 50A Non-GFI breaker*: 40A max charging load), which is now terminated and activated. If only I had an ID.4 to plug into. ;)
I've printed out ChargePoint's "Congrats on Activation" email for my 2020 Fed tax [deduction] records. :)
Note Eaton socket type (just for photo).
IMG_2315.jpeg
* For my locale a GFI breaker is not required for a "220V dedicated appliance connection", such as a clothes dryer, A/C compressor, or in this case my EV charger.

·
3 Posts
Yesterday, I had an electrician install my Clipper Creek HCS-50 charger. The electrician installed a 40 foot run, from my basement electrical panel, to the intended garage electrical outlet. The electrician used Gauge 6/2 wire, terminating into a NEMA 6-50 outlet. I'm ready to go .. I just need something, to plug into. At least I'm ready ...

·
105 Posts
Coincidentally I also had my chargepoint installed yesterday. It’s hardwired with a 60amp breaker. The electrician was super diligent and made sure he installed a neutral wire without my asking and put in a small routing panel so I can go to a NEMA outlet easily if I want to. But the chargepoint is also super easy to remove if needed for warranty etc. Now I just need an EV to use it!

·
8 Posts
My electrician recommended Clipper Creek and Siemens. I’m going with a Clipper Creek 40 amp model, which is powerful enough to future proof me a bit. I’ll be installing it outdoors. The Clipper Creek unit is NEMA 4 rated, meaning it’s highly weather/rain resistant. And it has a long 25’ cord, which I’ll need to reach the ID.4’s charge port at the back of the passenger side.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts