Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
936 Posts
Your guys weren't kidding! It was easier to install the Homelink mirror than to attach my new license plates. Although that shroud for the mirror base seems suspect.

I did notice however that the silver camera module, hidden under the shroud at the base of the mirror, was extremely hot. The car had just been driven. It was 11 in the morning and the car was parked facing west, so I doubt it was residual heat from the sun.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
936 Posts
Whelp, she had her first drive with the new mirror and didn't notice, or at least didn't say anything, the woman who proclaimed the frameless mirror on her last car "special." Neither did my older son, who's pretty observant and should have clued in on the compass. (At 5, this kid called me out when I installed new wheels on the TSX on the sly.)

I'll keep this mirror my little secret.

·
White Pro S
255 Posts
My dealer wants $500 for the mirror installed. Tried to sell me on how it would require removal from the glass and maybe dropping the headliner. OK pal.

·
White Pro S
255 Posts
Wow, that was the easiest "mod" i've ever done. Took all of three minutes, including the minute or so I spent wondering if I needed the included wire or if I just use the one that's already in the car. Hardest part was calibrating the compass and setting the variance zone, which was also very easy.

Besides doing circles in this car is fun as shit.

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I mean it's not much, but it definitely is. I mainly wanted it because charging is in the garage and I hate the little clip-on openers.
I hate those clip on too. I didn't know it was taller. I noticed that it was frameless which made it seem bigger but wasn't sure.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
129 Posts
Here is the previous information: (14) The ID.4 stories | Page 2 | Volkswagen ID Forum (vwidtalk.com)

All connectors/wiring are in place - pull apart old connector, replace with new connector as part of Homelink mirror.
Nothing is removed/reattached to the glass.

All can easily be done with fingers:
1) remove lower cover
2) remove upper cover
3) rotate old mirror about 45 degrees to release connector
4) disconnect wiring by pulling apart connector
5) set aside old mirror
6) connect wiring connector to Homelink mirror
7) install Homelink mirror by rotating into place
8) replace upper cover
9) replace lower cover

Follow instructions for compass and Homelink setup (this comes with the Homelink mirror)

(It took me more time to type this than to do it 😉)
Thanks for the “push” to install the mirror. I would have left it without the easy walkthrough - but I love the convenience. Took literally 3 minutes following your instructions (and pics). Thanks! Finishes off a great car nicely.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
I'm doing a "trial run" deliver-to-dealership of an EV emergency kit, ordered a week prior to my 60-day visit. If that goes well, and it should, the Homelink will be next. I really like having a compass-bearing on the mirror, even tho' there's a compass-rose on the Nav screen. Frameless design is also a plus. And one day I'll install better/quieter garage door openers so there's that as well.
Thanks all for the installation advice and feedback. (y)

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
And one day I'll install better/quieter garage door openers so there's that as well.
I can recommend the Genie Smart opener. Comes with a phone app and you can open or close it from anywhere. The app also lets you know if it is open or closed and for how long.
Screenshot_20210511-072844_AladdinConnect.jpg

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. Is it a quiet rubberoid belt drive type as well? I've been researching Chamberlain but appreciate your counsel and Genie has always been a good one.
Apologies at taking the thread on a tangent but it is related. ;)
I can recommend the Genie Smart opener. Comes with a phone app and you can open or close it from anywhere. The app also lets you know if it is open or closed and for how long.

·
45 Posts
I've got that Chamberlain door opener you linked to and it is the best for opener I've ever had. The control box on the wall lets you do the programming so you don't have to get on a ladder and the number pad will close the door without entering the code. It is pretty quiet, my 2 year old sleeps through the door and his room is directly above. Also, the app is mostly blue instead of red.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
If my new opener selection comes down to App background colors I think I've got bigger issues. 🤪 But again I do appreciate everyone's insight. (y)

And now back to the Homelink Mirror channel... ;)

·
2 Posts
Can someone post the "compass calibration" instructions? My mirror didn't come with anything but the mirror and the extra wiring. I was concerned about the wiring, but seems that it is not needed.

·
167 Posts
Can someone post the "compass calibration" instructions? My mirror didn't come with anything but the mirror and the extra wiring. I was concerned about the wiring, but seems that it is not needed.
drive in a circle at less than 5MPH. Took me one turn.

There's a separate adjustment for magnetic deviation, depending on where you are in longitude, but I don't have that one from memory. It really shouldn't matter, though. You're not navigating a plane or a ship.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts