Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
Disappointed that for the price of this vehicle a Homelink mirror isn't a standard option. Guess I have to purchase one too.
My guess is that the problem is really the royalties that Gentex is asking. They have to balance that with the fact that only a subset of customers would ever use the thing.

·
56 Posts
My guess is that the problem is really the royalties that Gentex is asking. They have to balance that with the fact that only a subset of customers would ever use the thing.
Agreed, I would think the majority of current ID.4 owners would have garages, but maybe I'm wrong. Making it an option in the lower trims and standard on the higher trims would be the way to go.

·
46 Posts
Just had the homelink mirrow installed by my dealer. Has auto dimming, direction your heading is in the right corner area and 3 buttons you can program. Picture doesn't really show the buttons on the bottom. Price was $275 and dealer installed for no charge. Glad to have back the convenience I had in my previous Passat. View attachment 2524
You have a very good Dealer. My dealer charges the same for the mirror with Homelink but want $300 for installation. They say its seriously difficult to install. I don't believe them but that's their line...

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
This is what gives dealership service a bad name, and should!

They do of course have to charge at least the minimum duration labor rate (an hour?), including all of its understandable "keep the lights on" markups. But to also cite it's difficult ???

You have a very good Dealer. My dealer charges the same for the mirror with Homelink but want $300 for installation. They say it's seriously difficult to install. I don't believe them but that's their line...

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
They do of course have to charge at least the minimum duration labor rate (an hour?), including all of its understandable "keep the lights on" markups. But to also cite it's difficult ???
It is about as difficult as changing wiper blades. A lot of people don't know any better and pay the dealer.

·
ID.4 Pro S RWD
176 Posts
You have a very good Dealer. My dealer charges the same for the mirror with Homelink but want $300 for installation. They say its seriously difficult to install. I don't believe them but that's their line...
In their defense, installing a Homelink mirror really is a difficult, $300 job on many models, so they may just be basing their comment on past experience. Odds are they haven't installed one in an ID.4 yet, so they may not even be aware it's super quick and easy.

Reactions: theboomr

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
129 Posts
In their defense, installing a Homelink mirror really is a difficult, $300 job on many models, so they may just be basing their comment on past experience. Odds are they haven't installed one in an ID.4 yet, so they may not even be aware it's super quick and easy.
Yeah, that‘s it, I am sure…..not….. 😂🤣

·
Super Moderator
470 Posts
They know how long it takes. They don't guess. Every service writer has the information.

·
ID.4 FE GW
497 Posts
The electronic compass display on my VW home link mirror has stopped working. It worked when I first installed it and calibrated it almost 2 months ago, but I don’t recall seeing its display for much after that.

Has anybody else had this problem, and is there any setting or switch that needs to be set to show the display?

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
Uh oh, that compass is really my sole reason for acquiring same. Sorry to hear of the stoppage. Loose connector that has vibrated free? Fortunately I would expect still well within part-warranty.

The electronic compass display on my VW home link mirror has stopped working. It worked when I first installed it and calibrated it almost 2 months ago, but I don’t recall seeing its display for much after that.

Has anybody else had this problem, and is there any setting or switch that needs to be set to show the display?

·
0 Posts
My dealer invited me down for an ID.4 test drive (of their demo FE). While there, he showed me a new Pro S in the same ext/int config I ordered. It had a homelink mirror. He said it comes with Pro S.

·
42 Posts
Yup I picked up the only newly arrived Pro S at the dealer I went to. I happened to be checking out at least a dozen dealers around the West that had some in stock. The Pro S models they had ALL had the Homelink as part of their packages with no exceptions. Not sure if the Pro S itself has it automatically but there is a few minor packages they all seemed to be specked with by the dealers that had the Homelink as well as the Monster Mat packages. Smart if I do say so. Regular mats are worthless anyway. And the Homelink is near a must for nearly all that will be buying this car.

·
405 Posts
My dealer invited me down for an ID.4 test drive (of their demo FE). While there, he showed me a new Pro S in the same ext/int config I ordered. It had a homelink mirror. He said it comes with Pro S.
VW should have included the Homelink mirror on the FE. I have had vehicles that cost much less with Homelink!

·
3 Posts
Home Link mirror installed yesterday. Local VW service states that the kit wiring harness has to be installed with the mirror, contrary to all the install posts. Wanted to charge over $300 , but after showing this blog, charged $48. But still installed the harness. Also did not provide the programming instructions. Can anybody please send me/post the programming instructions?!? Thanks

·
405 Posts
Home Link mirror installed yesterday. Local VW service states that the kit wiring harness has to be installed with the mirror, contrary to all the install posts. Wanted to charge over $300 , but after showing this blog, charged $48. But still installed the harness. Also did not provide the programming instructions. Can anybody please send me/post the programming instructions?!? Thanks
You can get them from the homelink site.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts