Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
1 Posts
Note that in 2021 the Golf was discontinued in the US, EXCEPT for the GTI and R versions (I have a 2012 GTI/dsg). So that maybe provides a minuscule chance that while the ID.3 will not come to the US, that the ID.3 GTX might. Really disappointing. I'd really like to get an ID.3 GTX (IF VW also adds car to home power, it seems silly to have several days worth of power sitting in one's garage and not be able to use it during a power failure). I'd put my cash down today for an ID.3 GTX with C2H (hopefully without that nutty neon on gray paint job).

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I wonder if Cupra (thinking Cupra Born) will ever come here, but it's under the same VW umbrella?

·
9 Posts
Have tried the ID3 and it's more'agile' feeling than ID 4 or 6, so pity it cannot be sell in the US. It's much better than regular sedan like camry.

·
383 Posts
Note that in 2021 the Golf was discontinued in the US, EXCEPT for the GTI and R versions (I have a 2012 GTI/dsg). So that maybe provides a minuscule chance that while the ID.3 will not come to the US, that the ID.3 GTX might. Really disappointing. I'd really like to get an ID.3 GTX (IF VW also adds car to home power, it seems silly to have several days worth of power sitting in one's garage and not be able to use it during a power failure). I'd put my cash down today for an ID.3 GTX with C2H (hopefully without that nutty neon on gray paint job).
I think you've answered your own question/hope. Americans prefer SUVs ( generally larger the better) and, to a lesser extent, sedans......not hatchbacks. In EU countries, wagons and hatchbacks are preferred so I am sure VW is not bringing any hatchbacks ( other than relatively expensive GTI and Golf R) to this market anytime soon. Although the Golf is a great car, VW could not move them here. They know the Golf and ID.3 will sell in the EU.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,253 Posts
As my prior post was facetious-humorous in intent I would offer that there is a way. Keep writing letters to ask VWoA to please bring this model to the USA. It's rare but sometimes possible to get additional foreign models from a "grass roots" campaign. In the Audi world such customer requests have facilitated RS models that weren't initially planned for us (US).

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think you've answered your own question/hope. Americans prefer SUVs ( generally larger the better) and, to a lesser extent, sedans......not hatchbacks. In EU countries, wagons and hatchbacks are preferred so I am sure VW is not bringing any hatchbacks ( other than relatively expensive GTI and Golf R) to this market anytime soon. Although the Golf is a great car, VW could not move them here. They know the Golf and ID.3 will sell in the EU.
I wonder just how different California is in this respect, but I'd think smaller cars should be viewed more favorably in the US, especially considering gas prices these days.

There are tons of hatchbacks here in SoCal, but most are older Priuses. Of course, there are still more SUV's...

·
383 Posts
I wonder just how different California is in this respect, but I'd think smaller cars should be viewed more favorably in the US, especially considering gas prices these days.

There are tons of hatchbacks here in SoCal, but most are older Priuses. Of course, there are still more SUV's...
Ford and GM are basically eliminating sedans and hatchbacks from their product mix with few exceptions ( e.g., Corvette, Mustang) and focusing on Crossovers and Pickups. They may be making a mistake if the fickle consumer decides to save on gas and get a sedan or hatchback but, in reality, they are following the trend. Plus, they make more money with the larger heavy vehicles. Pickups are easy and cheap to build and generally have lower tech components but command very high prices due to perceived value.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ford and GM are basically eliminating sedans and hatchbacks from their product mix with few exceptions ( e.g., Corvette, Mustang) and focusing on Crossovers and Pickups. They may be making a mistake if the fickle consumer decides to save on gas and get a sedan or hatchback but, in reality, they are following the trend. Plus, they make more money with the larger heavy vehicles. Pickups are easy and cheap to build and generally have lower tech components but command very high prices due to perceived value.
I hear you, but the trend just doesn't make any sense with the current world situation. Well, here's to higher profit margins for the dealers and manufacturers. I suppose it's up to the consumers to stop paying for their extra profits to turn the market around.

·
1,094 Posts
Well Elon Musk could build a hyper loop under the Atlantic. Then they could just load them on a very high speed train.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts