Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody seen one of these up close and heard the stereo? The music is kinda important to me and I can't seem to find much information about it. Does it have a sub? how many speakers? Is it comparable to the premium interior sound system of the Tesla? My reservation is the Pro-S with the 12" screen so hoping that gets me a good sound system.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 First Edition Locked-in
267 Posts
I try not to ask that question since audio is such a very subjective item and therefore invariably there will be widely differing responses.

Await a demo/test drive and evaluate for your own perception.

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a fair response however with the reservation system and putting in the extra time, money, and expectation I'd rather get at least basic knowledge of what kind of system it is. Sure it sounds different based on music taste but I basically just want to know how it stacks up to the competition. Is it the same as the Fender Sound System in my GTI or is it better? More speakers, better sub, bigger amp?

·
173 Posts
This is from the Owner's Manual:

Basic equipment of the sound system
The Infotainment system available from the factory is equipped as follows:
— Seven loudspeakers, at different locations.
— Amplifier output power, max. 5 x 20 watts.
— Setting options:
— Treble, Mid, Bass.
— Volume distribution front, rear and left, right (balance, fader).
Optional sound system
The Infotainment system can be extended as follows by an optional sound system:

— Up to nine loudspeakers, in different installation locations and with different power ratings (watts).
— External amplifier (DSP-Ethernet).
— Separate subwoofer.
— Setting options:
— Sound character, Equaliser, Treble, Mid, Bass.
— Volume distribution front, rear and left, right (balance, fader).
— Seat-dependent sound optimisation (sound focus).
— Subwoofer volume.
— Surround settings.

Not much info on it. Assumption would be the "Pro S" would have the optional sound system but it's anyone's guess. The ID.4 spec sheet has Audio for all versions as "Base (no badging on A-pillar or rear door panel)." Not really aspiring. The only thing I can say for certain, whichever great sound system the ID.4 will have in Europe, we will not get that here.

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is from the Owner's Manual:

Not much info on it. Assumption would be the "Pro S" would have the optional sound system but it's anyone's guess. The ID.4 spec sheet has Audio for all versions as "Base (no badging on A-pillar or rear door panel)." Not really aspiring. The only thing I can say for certain, whichever great sound system the ID.4 will have in Europe, we will not get that here.
Well the basic is horrible and ridiculous for a car like the ID.4 in 2021. The Pro-S does sound a little better, at least it has a sub... I would be satisfied with a system that sounds like my GTI's Fender system, its not an audiophiles dream but it is better than basic. Thanks for posting that info!

·
173 Posts
Well the basic is horrible and ridiculous for a car like the ID.4 in 2021. The Pro-S does sound a little better, at least it has a sub... I would be satisfied with a system that sounds like my GTI's Fender system, its not an audiophiles dream but it is better than basic. Thanks for posting that info!
I'm just glad they installing the 7 or 9 speakers in "different" locations. (My first car only had one speaker behind the glovebox but it also only had AM radio).

·
35 Posts
Has anybody seen one of these up close and heard the stereo? The music is kinda important to me and I can't seem to find much information about it. Does it have a sub? how many speakers? Is it comparable to the premium interior sound system of the Tesla? My reservation is the Pro-S with the 12" screen so hoping that gets me a good sound system.
Here is ID4 review mentioning the HK speakers in the US First Edition. You will see the speakers shown in the video. Hope that helps.

·
2004 Phaeton V8
58 Posts
I hate to be the one to post this, but I think all NAR ID.4's are getting the base stereo. These cuts are from the VWoA Trim Differentiation file that was posted somewhere previously. and i hate the answer too, hard to see the logic in not making the upgraded audio at least an option. I hope that things have changed since this guide was written. bottom line is that we won't really know until the first ones start arriving.

notice the slash thru the rear door mounted speaker

and then on the audio line:

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hate to be the one to post this, but I think all NAR ID.4's are getting the base stereo. These cuts are from the VWoA Trim Differentiation file that was posted somewhere previously. and i hate the answer too, hard to see the logic in not making the upgraded audio at least an option. I hope that things have changed since this guide was written. bottom line is that we won't really know until the first ones start arriving.

notice the slash thru the rear door mounted speaker
View attachment 1262

and then on the audio line:

View attachment 1263
Well that blows... I wonder which came first, the video or the guide? Either way it seems the cost cutting is going to turn off alot of people.

·
2004 Phaeton V8
58 Posts
Well that blows... I wonder which came first, the video or the guide? Either way it seems the cost cutting is going to turn off alot of people.
Good question, and the guide is dated Oct 2020. I really hope that the car in the video is a real NAR 1st Edition and not a Euro spec one. But that video is the only thing I have seen that shows the speakers in the rear door and the HK logo. It is not a deal breaker for me, but a big disappointment for sure. Really hope that they wouldn't send one over that didn't represent the models here. 😬

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good question, and the guide is dated Oct 2020. I really hope that the car in the video is a real NAR 1st Edition and not a Euro spec one. But that video is the only thing I have seen that shows the speakers in the rear door and the HK logo. It is not a deal breaker for me, but a big disappointment for sure. Really hope that they wouldn't send one over that didn't represent the models here. 😬
The video is November 18th, so I guess we'll just have to see. Seems no way to really confirm I guess.

·
40 Posts
The video is November 18th, so I guess we'll just have to see. Seems no way to really confirm I guess.
The vehicle in that video is not a US-spec ID.4. When the demo tour stopped in Seattle last month, I was told that none of the ID.4s in the US up to that date (Dec 6th) were US-spec vehicles.

The Order Guide shows "6 speakers + center speaker (7 speakers total)" for all models. The US VW website doesn't mention anything about premium audio and the Trim Differentiation document specifically calls out the lack of tweeters on the rear doors. I think it's a safe bet that the US ID.4 won't have premium audio this year. My guess is that domestic production will give them enough pricing headroom that we'll see a premium audio option (probably Fender branded) included in the Statement package in 2022. Though in terms of timing, they've only said that production starts in Chattanooga in 2022, so that might not happen until the 2023 model year.

·
35 Posts
I received this info on the Sound System from an online Utube review (ID Furkan). He will be following up w/video:

ID.Furkan
the standard soundsystem in the ID.4 is alright. nothing fancy. 7 speakers [1 center, 2 tweeters @ a-style, 4 speakers at every door]. 5x 20 watt. Voices are "clear", Music is "rich" as in you can differ the instruments. Bass-heavy music can be a bummer, because it is missing a subwoofer, but thats really only my negative point about the soundsystem. Lets Say Not rich enough as an Harmon Kardon/Dynaudio [lack of speakers and subwoofers/12 pieces?], but really for 7 speakers its really good. Noise sound proofing of the windscreen/front side screens helps too. Will make a video, but looking for fitting music currently.

·
20 Posts
I think it's a safe bet that the US ID.4 won't have premium audio this year. My guess is that domestic production will give them enough pricing headroom that we'll see a premium audio option (probably Fender branded) included in the Statement package in 2022. Though in terms of timing, they've only said that production starts in Chattanooga in 2022, so that might not happen until the 2023 model year.
This may be the thing to push me to a Q4 etron. My Touareg had lacking audio and I went up in trim on my Tiguan solely to get premium audio. This car is not designed for me to revert to my 20’s self and throw in an aftermarket and a sub!:ROFLMAO:

·
62 Posts
This car is not designed for me to revert to my 20’s self and throw in an aftermarket and a sub!:ROFLMAO:
But wouldn’t there be enough space for an aftermarket sub now since there is no tunnel in the middle? :D

FWIW, the audio seems good enough for my music habits, but I see your point.

·
35 Posts
Audio Test
Thanks for giving us a better idea of the infotainment system and sound. Overall I think the sound is good, but would like to have a sub woofer to increase the quality of the bass. Any thoughts on whether or not there is the space for a compact sub woofer under the rear seat? Would like to know if you have tried running the system with Apple Car Play.

·
10 Posts
Thanks for giving us a better idea of the infotainment system and sound. Overall I think the sound is good, but would like to have a sub woofer to increase the quality of the bass. Any thoughts on whether or not there is the space for a compact sub woofer under the rear seat? Would like to know if you have tried running the system with Apple Car Play.
im running it with wireless android auto.. same applies to carplay, maybe can ask a friend pure for showcase.

There is space in the boot for a subwoofer, that will be the to go place for a subwoofer, but currently empty ofcourse. chances are slim that there or even audio cables ready for a plug and play solution for a subwoofer :p

There is a picture circulating of an pre-production ID.3 with a subwoofer in the bootspace, id4 has the same empty pace. so if they ever release the optional sound sytem, the woofer will come there.

There is already an aftermarket audioset for an ID.3. So the option will be there. only its not that hidden as OEM ofc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts