Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
796 Posts
I’m getting the first edition in China. Well there is no audio option on the 1st and as far as I know it’s a 7 speaker system. The Pro here have a 10 speakers H/K option, and it comes as standard in prime edition. I am wondering if it’s possible to upgrade to the H/K set by the dealer. The problem is if there are any difference in the infotainment system software, my merc did have an extra menu to control the burmester set.
Ya know that the cabin of the ID4 is not exactly an audiophile listening space.
My old ears probably don't hear below 100 Hz or above 12k Hz so it doesn't really matter to me.
Wait 6 months and see what Crutchfield has to offer.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
1,559 Posts
I was expecting worse so was pleasantly surprised to find "It's alright." There's enough bass to feel it but clearly no sub (hoo man I remember "discovering" the factory option under-the-driver's-seat sub in my '05 Subaru on the long drive home, that was such a treat compared to all this trunk-mounted stuff). The mids, vocals are clear but the highs a little cut off. Could use better tweeters, but I wouldn't call anything about it "muddy."

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,132 Posts
I was expecting worse so was pleasantly surprised to find "It's alright." There's enough bass to feel it but clearly no sub (hoo man I remember "discovering" the factory option under-the-driver's-seat sub in my '05 Subaru on the long drive home, that was such a treat compared to all this trunk-mounted stuff). The mids, vocals are clear but the highs a little cut off. Could use better tweeters, but I wouldn't call anything about it "muddy."
For me it is perfectly fine. But I make my wife turn off the subwoofer when I am in her car as it annoys me.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
171 Posts
im running it with wireless android auto.. same applies to carplay, maybe can ask a friend pure for showcase.

There is space in the boot for a subwoofer, that will be the to go place for a subwoofer, but currently empty ofcourse. chances are slim that there or even audio cables ready for a plug and play solution for a subwoofer :p

There is a picture circulating of an pre-production ID.3 with a subwoofer in the bootspace, id4 has the same empty pace. so if they ever release the optional sound sytem, the woofer will come there.

There is already an aftermarket audioset for an ID.3. So the option will be there. only its not that hidden as OEM ofc.
What about placing it under the front center console? There’s all that extra space there on the floor next to your right foot.

·
38 Posts
I don't know anything about the sound system in the ID.4 (kept the radio off on my test drive). I will say, though, the speakers in my Jeep sounded pretty bad until I played with all the sound settings. Setting the highs, mids, and lows just right made it sound pretty darn good to my ears and I am easily annoyed by poor quality sound. YMMV

·
Premium Member
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
455 Posts
In case anyone is wondering, here is the location of all of the speakers with the European factory subwoofer option in the space in the rear with "6" being the sub and "7" being the "Digital Sound System Control Module - J525" Interestingly it does not show the location of the 2 rear door mid mounted speakers. Also the front treble speakers "1" and "3" are part of the A-pillar trim and replaced with that (although I am sure you could separate them from the trim) and the door speakers are riveted in. I have drilled out riveted speakers before, not hard but not as easy as a bolt.

·
59 Posts
I've been watching the various threads on the sound system and speakers with curiosity. There are a lot of opinions, but I haven't seen any actual measurements. I have an audio engineering background, equipment, and free time, so I decided to check it out this afternoon and run a frequency response test.

First, I adjusted the three EQ sliders to the middle (0) positions and ran the test (see the "Flat EQ" graph). In a perfect world, there would be a flat line between 20 Hz and 20 kHz. While that just doesn't happen in the real world, it could definitely be a lot better than this. Specifically the bass is way too loud and the treble way too soft. I realize a lot of people may like it this way, but it's not ideal for a flat EQ setting.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

So, I made some adjustments. After an hour or so of fiddling, the flattest response I could get was by setting the bass to -9, mid to -2, and treble to +6 (see the Adjusted EQ graph). That's a lot better! Basically 35Hz - 15kHz +/- 5dB SPL. I think the most notable improvements would come from a more linear frequency response from 160Hz - 800Hz, as well as (of course) a subwoofer.

Rectangle Slope Line Plot Font Hand Finger Font Gesture Gadget

While a flat response is ideal in the studio, few people want to always listen to music that way. Armed with a better understanding of where "flat" was, I boosted the bass a bit to suit my liking. Not bad.

I'll probably eventually upgrade the four main speakers, but I doubt new tweeters would add much. Obviously, there are other factors to good quality sound than just frequency response (and I am over-simplifying a lot here), but at least this gives me some idea of what the car is capable of, and where it has room for improvement. Hopefully someone finds this useful.

·
796 Posts
I've been watching the various threads on the sound system and speakers with curiosity. There are a lot of opinions, but I haven't seen any actual measurements. I have an audio engineering background, equipment, and free time, so I decided to check it out this afternoon and run a frequency response test.

First, I adjusted the three EQ sliders to the middle (0) positions and ran the test (see the "Flat EQ" graph). In a perfect world, there would be a flat line between 20 Hz and 20 kHz. While that just doesn't happen in the real world, it could definitely be a lot better than this. Specifically the bass is way too loud and the treble way too soft. I realize a lot of people may like it this way, but it's not ideal for a flat EQ setting.

View attachment 3467

So, I made some adjustments. After an hour or so of fiddling, the flattest response I could get was by setting the bass to -9, mid to -2, and treble to +6 (see the Adjusted EQ graph). That's a lot better! Basically 35Hz - 15kHz +/- 5dB SPL. I think the most notable improvements would come from a more linear frequency response from 160Hz - 800Hz, as well as (of course) a subwoofer.

View attachment 3466 View attachment 3465

While a flat response is ideal in the studio, few people want to always listen to music that way. Armed with a better understanding of where "flat" was, I boosted the bass a bit to suit my liking. Not bad.

I'll probably eventually upgrade the four main speakers, but I doubt new tweeters would add much. Obviously, there are other factors to good quality sound than just frequency response (and I am over-simplifying a lot here), but at least this gives me some idea of what the car is capable of, and where it has room for improvement. Hopefully someone finds this useful.
Any suggestions for what brand or type of speakers. Three or two way, attenuator resistors, speaker baffles, some kind of sound mat, amplifier, bass box/speaker, battery capacitors?
My Jetta had a Fender sound system. I haven't done this type of customizing since 1995.
Crutchfield doesn't have anything for the ID4 yet.
Just wait for now?

·
ID.4 FE GW
575 Posts

View attachment 3467

THANK YOU for making these measurements and posting this!

I had previously just boosted the mids and highs, and your post made me realize that the bass is too boosted when set at 0 - I can definitely hear a thickening of the upper bass in that setup.

I have a quote from a local car audio shop for new front speakers (Morel separates), a four-channel JL Audio amp with DSP, other misc parts (load resistors, wiring, remote switch) that comes to about $3K (a bit over $1K is labor). I'll definitely play with the stock system's EQ settings some more before going down the upgrade path.

·
59 Posts
Any suggestions for what brand or type of speakers. Three or two way, attenuator resistors, speaker baffles, some kind of sound mat, amplifier, bass box/speaker, battery capacitors?
My Jetta had a Fender sound system. I haven't done this type of customizing since 1995.
Crutchfield doesn't have anything for the ID4 yet.
Just wait for now?
I have no idea what would fit and what is currently available. Personally, I'm going to wait for a few "Guinea pigs" to try upgrading, then look at the specs of the speakers and ease of installation. With my flat settings + a bit of extra bass, I'm not in a huge hurry. Plus, since music is my job, it's kinda nice to actually enjoy the peace and quiet of the electric drive. 😄

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
836 Posts
it's kinda nice to actually enjoy the peace and quiet of the electric drive. 😄
I’m with you on that. Most of the time we have no music in the car, and just enjoy a quiet time to talk. It’s such a revelation to be able to talk in the car without raising our voices!

Thanks for the measurements though, much appreciated. I’ll play with EQ settings to see how much better we like it.

·
796 Posts
Don't drive with all windows closed and rear passenger window down.
Major low frequency boom inside the cabin! That configuration acts like a very low frequency whistle 😮.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
836 Posts
We’ve had that in our two previous cars too, Volvo and Honda.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,132 Posts
Don't drive with all windows closed and rear passenger window down.
Major low frequency boom inside the cabin! That configuration acts like a very low frequency whistle 😮.
Yeah, it is common. I don't know why people pay extra for a subwoofer when you can get it for free by rolling down the window.:D

·
30 Posts

View attachment 3467

Thank you. Used these settings as a starting point and got it just right!

·
11 Posts

View attachment 3467

Thanks a lot for your work! The basic sound is terrible and I was playing with the equalizer with no real succes, ending with a "V" shape adjustement. I will definitely try your configuration

·
59 Posts
I'm glad folks are finding this useful. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that my settings are "right", I'm basically pointing out that the EQ's flat position is non-obvious. If you start from my settings, which should basically be flat, it will be easier to adjust to your liking. The settings I posted were just a starting point.

Everyone's preferences will be different. In my case, I started with my flat settings, and then increased the bass.

·
11 Posts
That is how I interpreted it, like a reference point (where it should have been) from which I can start to tweak to my liking. I use some column speakers which are slighty warm (for voices) at home but at my desk, I use some small monitoring which are flat and faster because I prefer that when working or listening to confcall etc.

So I was a little disappointed the first time I listened to music in my ID4

21 - 40 of 68 Posts