Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
2018 VW Golf GTI Autobahn w/DSG
31 Posts
I have a Mk7.5 GTI right now with the Fender system and the only major dislike I had with the ID.4 was the weak sound system. I'd say with the songs I tried, the base system in the ID.4 is just marginally better than the base stereo in they used in the Mk7-7.5 Golfs/GTIs. The ID.4's is probably good enough for most people, but for me it was pretty meh.

The songs I tried included songs from Limp Bizkit, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cage the Elephant, Silverstein, and some live albums (a live Silverstein album and Metallica's 1999 S&M album) that I know sound amazing on the Fender system that left me disappointed in the ID.4 system. The ID.4's system, while clear sounding, it doesn't separate out the instruments as well as the Fender system does, nor does the ID.4's system have that deep punch from the drums and bass guitar notes the Fender system reproduces so well.

Hopefully VW offers a Helix sub as a dealership option down the line like they did for the Golfs. Would be nice if they offered Fender on the ID.4 someday as I love the warm sound signature of the Fender system in the GTI. The live albums literally sound like a small concert in the car.

·
ID.4 FE GW
575 Posts
The ID.4's system, while clear sounding, it doesn't separate out the instruments as well as the Fender system does, nor does the ID.4's system have that deep punch from the drums and bass guitar notes the Fender system reproduces so well.
I found that is also true for acoustic music; piano and drums don't have much dynamic impact. Flattening the response and then boosting the bass a bit as @NorCar kindly documented does help some.

·
333 Posts
Has anybody seen one of these up close and heard the stereo? The music is kinda important to me and I can't seem to find much information about it. Does it have a sub? how many speakers? Is it comparable to the premium interior sound system of the Tesla? My reservation is the Pro-S with the 12" screen so hoping that gets me a good sound system.
Mine is great. No issues

·
796 Posts
I have a Mk7.5 GTI right now with the Fender system and the only major dislike I had with the ID.4 was the weak sound system. I'd say with the songs I tried, the base system in the ID.4 is just marginally better than the base stereo in they used in the Mk7-7.5 Golfs/GTIs. The ID.4's is probably good enough for most people, but for me it was pretty meh.

The songs I tried included songs from Limp Bizkit, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cage the Elephant, Silverstein, and some live albums (a live Silverstein album and Metallica's 1999 S&M album) that I know sound amazing on the Fender system that left me disappointed in the ID.4 system. The ID.4's system, while clear sounding, it doesn't separate out the instruments as well as the Fender system does, nor does the ID.4's system have that deep punch from the drums and bass guitar notes the Fender system reproduces so well.

Hopefully VW offers a Helix sub as a dealership option down the line like they did for the Golfs. Would be nice if they offered Fender on the ID.4 someday as I love the warm sound signature of the Fender system in the GTI. The live albums literally sound like a small concert in the car.
In my experience so far, don't count on it 🥱.
Europeans must have more discerning ears. Blame the bean counters.

·
796 Posts
Can anyone think of any options that the NA ID4s get that the EU ID4s don't?
Pedestrian noise makers?

·
VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
119 Posts
Can anyone think of any options that the NA ID4s get that the EU ID4s don't?
Pedestrian noise makers?
Satellite radio is all I can think of- only because it really isn't a thing in Europe.

The 1st Max throughout Europe is very well equipped, but I would guess that many people buy a lower trim level. It seems like lower trim levels might be missing some things we have on the Pro S here- massaging seats and full travel assist come to mind. But I haven't done a full comparison of trim levels across the US and EU.

·
2018 VW Golf GTI Autobahn w/DSG
31 Posts
In my experience so far, don't count on it 🥱.
Europeans must have more discerning ears. Blame the bean counters.
It's possible, as the Arteon has Harman/Kardon in the SEL Premium trim, The GTI, Jetta, and Passat have had Fender audio available as well.

IIRC, the MQB Jetta uses Beats audio now, and the Atlas has Fender audio available as well.

·
White Pro S
342 Posts
that piano black is the worst.

better than the old soft touch crap i suppose. at least the piano black won't come off, just scratch.

·
PRO-S Gradient in Dusk Blue Metallic with Black interior/Tan inserts
144 Posts
Sound is OK. Not amazing. Not much bass. It works, you can listen to music. Fine. Then again, Apple IOS narrows the range and they still get away with what they did to the music biz. I think a bigger issue is the way the SiriusXM and Apple streaming cut in and out. I'll live with it: It's a 3-year lease, and I'll probably forget about it.

·
White Pro S
342 Posts
Even with lossless music it’s not great. Slightly better, but still bad. And really the compression on Apple Music isn’t that terrible. AAC is a decent codec.

·
ID.4 FE GW
575 Posts
Even with lossless music it’s not great. Slightly better, but still bad. And really the compression on Apple Music isn’t that terrible. AAC is a decent codec.
I agree that the sound from FLAC files and high bit rate M4A / AAC (256 kbps) is not engaging and disappointing. This is from a USB memory stick, so no bluetooth jitter or other issues can be blamed. Same files sound much better in my other car.

·
144 Posts
I held out from using my iPhone for everything for a long time. I can say that the old MP3 players with their ranges were FAR superior - even today. Sounded like a full sound system. There's a reason the re-release of the Beatles remixed for iTunes had to happen.... and many others and it's Apple's still squeezed range of sound. Better than it used to be perhaps, but still... if you like music, if you like bass.... not got the head banging, heart pounding sound I grew up with.

·
White Pro S
342 Posts
I don't agree with that. You can play lossless FLAC with various applications or ALAC with apple's music app and the output is going to depend on what you're using. Apple's lightning/usb C to 3.5mm dacs are actually pretty great.

Apple's not doing anything different with their compression than any other compressed streaming service out there, and I'd take aac over mp3 any day. Granted the HQ services are giving you lossless or high-bitrate compression, but I'm not sure why you're so convinced that the audio from apple is any worse than any other device.

Personally I use high-bitrate AACs or ALACs converted from FLACs when I'm in the car, and full lossless through a schitt dac when i'm at home.

·
144 Posts
"Apple's not doing anything different with their compression than any other compressed streaming service out there..."
# 1: "Whatever." Not worth the bother.
# 2: My base of comparison was imprecise. There's always been a big difference between CD original file sound quality and anything streamed. Still is. Maybe less so than years ago, but it's still there. At least 50% of the music I'd listen to in my old car was off CD's re-recorded on to the car's hard drive (ACURA default... even when I didn't want to).
#3: Point wasn't to get lost in Apple iTunes or streamed... but to note the lack of real base. And this affects the way I'm hearing it so far. Fairly... I'm only into week 2 or 3 with the car and just beginning to tweak it. Tweaked is better, but still ....meh.

·
23 Posts
Honestly, worst audio system I have ever owned. It's clear, but not rich or deep. Any Tesla, Nissan Leaf, e-Niro, etc has superior sound. My old Tesla and the new Y I drive at times has far better sound than my Leaf which has the Bose system, and somewhere near the bottom is the sound coming from my id4. On a positive note I do listen to a lot of Jazz in my id4 which for some reason seems to be the best choice given the super quiet cabin in the id4 and listening to Jazz on the id4 is fine even good, but pretty much any other kind of music sounds like it's coming from a 20$ boombox.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts