• Not really a big deal

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Just another thing on the EV learning curve

Votes: 10 8.0%
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching every ID.4 review on YouTube, and feel I have a pretty good handle on my new car's strengths and weaknesses -except for one: one-pedal driving. Many reviewers are claiming the lack of it is serious flaw, or even a deal-breaker for the new VWs. Really? I use my regenerative breaking, but have never gotten into the whole one-pedal thing. Just how important is this feature to other people? Is it one of the absolute essentials of an EV, or just something that fanboys use as an excuse to eliminate the competition? Obviously you can't miss what you've never had, but why is using the brake pedal such a huge imposition for some people?

·
2021 First Edition
177 Posts
Been driving electric for 10 years. I tried it here and there, but always went back to normal "D" mode. I like taking my foot off the accelerator and coasting. I only use "B" mode on long downhills when coming out of the mountains to recapture some charge.

·
60 Posts
It's probably great if you drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic a lot, which I don't. I'm really surprised how many EV enthusiasts describe this as a deal-breaker. As one of the reviewers (Alex on Autos I think) said, my right foot still works fine and I can use two pedals.

All that said, VW should just get it over with and push out an update to enable one-pedal for those who want it.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
It's probably great if you drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic a lot, which I don't. I'm really surprised how many EV enthusiasts describe this as a deal-breaker. As one of the reviewers (Alex on Autos I think) said, my right foot still works fine and I can use two pedals.

All that said, VW should just get it over with and push out an update to enable one-pedal for those who want it.
To be honest, I think it's at its worst in B2B traffic. Your right foot never gets a break. You're constantly having to modulate the accelerator pedal, because there is no coasting. Adaptive cruise control is good for that, however, in most cases. Though, I've yet to find an adaptive cruise control that will drive close enough to the vehicle in front to avoid someone cutting in, in the space between. That's a huge problem here in the northeastern part of the country where tailgating is sadly the norm, particularly in traffic.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Not having brake hold is the reason I am not buying this car. it is something that i have grown to love and no reason it can’t have it. It is on most good cars.
Honest question, not being able to take your foot off the brake pedal when the vehicle is completely stopped is a deal breaker? Also, if I'm not mistaken VW said auto hold will come via an OTA software update at a later date.

·
682 Posts
Not having brake hold is the reason I am not buying this car. it is something that i have grown to love and no reason it can’t have it. It is on most good cars.
The folks in Europe have said brake hold is available if you turn it on. It should be available in the US, although I don't know of anybody who has found the control to turn it on.

·
ID.4 1st blue
122 Posts
It's odd the European versions do have it so I'd guess it will show up as an update at some point in the USA. I don't drive in enough traffic for it to be a big deal for me but agree it's a great feature to have!

As for one-pedal driving, I agree 100% w Geo's comment above.

·
526 Posts
Though, I've yet to find an adaptive cruise control that will drive close enough to the vehicle in front to avoid someone cutting in, in the space between. That's a huge problem here in the northeastern part of the country where tailgating is sadly the norm, particularly in traffic.
I saw a vid showing that you can adjust the ACC distance on ID.4, but I can't tell you what buttons to press. There likely is some minimum setting that may still allow cutting in.

·
93 Posts
The folks in Europe have said brake hold is available if you turn it on. It should be available in the US, although I don't know of anybody who has found the control to turn it on.
I saw a button called "auto hold" on the ID.4 on my dealer showroom floor. It was on the menu that pulls down from the top of the screen. It was grayed out and unable to be pressed, but I'm not sure if that's just because I wasn't in drive. I didn't see that same option on the model I was able to test drive though.

·
39 Posts
Honest question, not being able to take your foot off the brake pedal when the vehicle is completely stopped is a deal breaker? Also, if I'm not mistaken VW said auto hold will come via an OTA software update at a later date.
Yes. It’s a Deal breaker. As well as lack of stop and go cruise control. Makes Life in a big city easier. Other missing features like lack of plug and play charging made me cancel my purchase. If they fix it then I would re consider. until then I still have deposits on other ev’s it is an exciting time for autos.

·
93 Posts
Yes. It’s a Deal breaker. As well as lack of stop and go cruise control. Makes Life in a big city easier. Other missing features like lack of plug and play charging made me cancel my purchase. If they fix it then I would re consider. until then I still have deposits on other ev’s it is an exciting time for autos.
ID.4 has stop and go cruise control, no? Plug and play charging is already announced to be coming, though quite disappointing they didn't implement in time for the launch.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
For what it’s worth, the ID.4 does have stop-and-go ACC. At least, I believe it does and I know other VW’s that have ACC have this feature. The plug-and-charge is confirmed to be coming via an OTA later this year.

·
14 Posts
If I understand the VW explanation, their thought on the most efficient way of driving would be to convert 100% of your kinetic energy from rolling is to coast, so that you capture 100% of your previously expended energy getting you up to speed back into forward motion. Using braking or regenerative braking loses some percentage of kinetic energy in order to do conversion from one state to another, through heat energy when braking, or electrical loss when converting back to electricity to recharge the motor.
So their thinking to maximize range is to have encourage coasting as much as possible following the explanation above.

My thinking is that would be a perfect laboratory setting for driving conditions to anticipate slowing down by observing traffic and coasting when possible. But day to day driving is less predictable than that, and you end up having to "brake" more than a thoughtful driving style would allow.
So to me, I would rather have more regenerative braking to allow me to use actual physical brakes less.

VW also says that their physical brakes actually use regenerative braking for the lower foot pressure first used, so maybe it all works out about the same if you use the brakes gently; you're still getting regeneration.
My Chevy Bolt had 3 levels of regeneration, when you took you foot off the pedal, you got slight regeneration, then a button on the console that increased it to a fair amount of regeneration, then a paddle on the steering wheel that added even more regeneration.
I first didn't like the regeneration, mostly because the fear of not having the brake lights come on when using the lower levels of regeneration. Then I got used to it, and actually used that second level of regeneration almost all the time, and using the paddle when I needed more, then lastly the brakes when hard braking was needed. So while it's not a necessity or a deal-breaker, I think I really would prefer that stronger regeneration, that ID.4 doesn't seem to offer.

Here's my wish list:
I would like to see that VW recognizes that alot of people like that stronger setting, and with their ability to do OTA software updates, they could create that enhanced regenerative braking with a software change. Then, since they only have the one switch labeled "B" on the dash; a single flip of the switch enables the regenerative braking like they originally designed it; and a double-flip of the switch puts it into an even stronger mode, maybe showing a "B2" on the dash. This would give regenerative braking more of a Chevy Bolt or Tesla feel to it.
If you don't want to use it that way, you just wouldn't have to engage it that way.
I think that could easily be done in software, not sure if they could enable a hill-holder, or foot off the brake at a light setup with that software modification though, if they didn't originally support that part to prevent creep.
I think it's the new Chevy Bolt that is coming out soon, they added the enhancement where your brake lights will be on at a traffic light even if you only used the regenerative braking to come to a complete stop. Older models didn't keep the brake lights on.

·
8 Posts
It has stop and go cruise controll

·
526 Posts
On the Steering wheel.
To adjust the following distance of the ACC to be less than the default? I know you turn it on and off and adjust the speed from the wheel, but adjust that setting?

·
Blue ID.4 FE, Jan., OR
59 Posts
Just looked at my window sticker and it says "Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Stop & Go"

For me too it will be hard to go from my Bolt with the 3 breaking levels to kinda one. I live in the country. The nearest town is 20 miles away with 2 stop signs in route. Coasting for a mile or so with no regen is not a good thing. I did think long and hard about jumping ship to the Mach-E because of one pedal driving. But couldn't justify the extra cost for that and loosing other features in the VW without spending even more$$.

·
682 Posts
To adjust the following distance of the ACC to be less than the default? I know you turn it on and off and adjust the speed from the wheel, but adjust that setting?
To adjust the ACC following distance you need to go into the ACC screen and open the options window, it is adjustable.

Reactions: theboomr

·
682 Posts
ID.4 has stop and go cruise control, no? Plug and play charging is already announced to be coming, though quite disappointing they didn't implement in time for the launch.
I saw a review that said the Plug & Play EA charging on the Mach-e has issues and reviewer believed VW delayed releasing it in the ID.4 until the bugs were worked out.

Reactions: ChristophW
1 - 20 of 117 Posts