Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been at port for about a month and is still at 30-1 but it did show up on the dealer's website. While looking through the features, I saw this:

• Full Floor Console w/Covered Storage, Mini Overhead Console and 3 12V DC Power Outlets
Does the 2021 only have 1 outlet in the trunk? What are the chances this is incorrect?

·
2 Posts
The two front USB-C outlets do support USB-PD up to 20V / 45W, which is enough to fast charge a phone or tablet and normally power a small laptop. Thats probably not what people generally think of when they think "12v car outlet" though.

·
2021 ID.4 PRO S AWD
305 Posts
The two front USB-C outlets do support USB-PD up to 20V / 45W, which is enough to fast charge a phone or tablet and normally power a small laptop. Thats probably not what people generally think of when they think "12v car outlet" though.
The USB-C outlets are not PD capable.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even if they were, there is no 12V PD level so "3 12V DC Power Outlets" makes no sense.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just looked at the German Konfigurator and it does say the USB-C PD is capable of 45W:

Rectangle Font Slope Pattern Brand

·
2 Posts
The manual for the US 2022 ID.4s explicitly say that the ports are USB-PD "depending on vehicle equipment" whatever that means.

I wonder if that is a new change from the 2021 model?

Available Charging Power
Voltages up to 20 V are provided via the USB port, which enables up to 45 W charging power.

Depending on the vehicle equipment, the following charging profiles may be supported by the USB ports:
  • Legacy charging (2.5 W).
  • BC1.2 (7.5 W).
  • USB-C charging (15 W).
  • USB power delivery (up to 45 W).
The actual charging power of the connected device depends on the following aspects:
  • Supported charging profiles.
  • Device charge level.
  • Device temperature.
  • Charging cable used.
For double USB ports, the charging power can be split between both ports.

·
White RWD Pro S
23 Posts
Even if they were, there is no 12V PD level so "3 12V DC Power Outlets" makes no sense.
This is correct, USB C PD would only offer 5V/9V/15V/20V options to remain within spec

The manual for the US 2022 ID.4s explicitly say that the ports are USB-PD "depending on vehicle equipment" whatever that means.

I wonder if that is a new change from the 2021 model?
Would be curious to test, but I've tested all four usb c ports in my 2021 and they definitely don't support USB C PD, highest wattage I've seen any put out is 12W at 5V / 2.4amp

·
White RWD Pro S
23 Posts
Also to note, for whatever reason I was seeing higher amperage out of the back seat vs front seat as well, seem destined to have inferior charging in the ID.4 unless you run a very long cable up from the trunk (which is what I did)

·
1,103 Posts
It is strange how something with a 1,200 lb battery does not have better electrical ports? I can only guess they were spooked about people overloading them and potentially causing fires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts