Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
30 Posts
I feel like the ID.4 is a car that right now fits into the IYKYK category. I think awareness of the vehicle outside of EV and auto interest circles is pretty small. I’ve seen two ID.4’s in the flesh that I’m aware of; the one I test drove at the dealer and one in the wild, and I’ve been actively scanning for them while driving since late September.

I would anticipate that orders will pickup further once more of the driving public sees them on the road a bit more, and the car market starts look a bit more normal. A few friends think I’m nuts for ordering a car right now, and one unable to recall what an ID.4 was referred to it as “oh, that Volkswagen thing” - I’d bet that pretty much sums up the general sentiment of the average consumer toward the ID.4 right now.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
1,740 Posts
I feel like the ID.4 is a car that right now fits into the IYKYK category....

This would of course vary by region, or even by neighborhood. There are now two ID.4's on our street within a block of us, and a few more I see running around the neighborhood. But then again, it's an area already pretty thick with EVs. I just saw a white Rivian pickup this morning! :love: The ID.4 generates a lot of comments / questions, infinitely more than my way-more-obvious-an-EV i3.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro S Gradient
111 Posts
After having my ID.4 since mid-July and now 7,000 miles I have only seen 1 other ID.4 in the wild. It was at an EA charger in Marietta, GA. The owner never left his car after plugging in and obviously didn't want to chat. But I live in a very small town in rural central Alabama. I may have the only EV in the county. When I went to my local power company to get them to turn on the kwh rate reduction due to my newly registered EV, they looked at me like I had two heads. They did make a phone call to find out if I was nuts, but did turn on the reduction. The locals here have been very curious, but no other takers yet that I know of.

A previous post said this was the best car he has ever had and so far I have to agree. Love mine.

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
105 Posts
I live in Northern California and see others out in the wild every day... not many, mind you, about one a day. On days when I'm at an EA charger, there's almost always one at a charger. Even in my backward farming community I see them at least twice weekly.

Reactions: Charlie W

·
10 Posts
I’ve been driving my first BEV, a Polestar 2, for nearly a year. In that time, I’ve only ever seen one other on the road, and it was in Ohio (I live in Alabama).

I had been reading about the ID.4 and watching Tesla Bjorn videos on it, but hadn’t really considered it as a 2nd BEV for my wife until I saw one in the flesh at my local Fresh Market. It was white with gradient, and beautiful. I decided that day to get one, and ended up with a Pro S Gradient RWD in white.

Love the car. So different than my Polestar, and each is great in its own way. When I’m feeling salty I take the Polestar. When I want to relax I take the ID.4. Many days I actually prefer to drive the ID.4, with half the HP and cache, but the drive is just so serene.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
946 Posts
Love those reports from Alabama! There need to be lots more electric vehicles in places like AL. I like the ubiquity we enjoy here in California and we do need even more, but distribution across all 50 states plus all of Canada is the big prize.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
1,740 Posts
Love the car. So different than my Polestar, and each is great in its own way. When I’m feeling salty I take the Polestar. When I want to relax I take the ID.4. Many days I actually prefer to drive the ID.4, with half the HP and cache, but the drive is just so serene.
Interesting to hear your perspective. Like you, I was pretty honed-in on the Polestar as the replacement for my wife's S60. After driving it, we both loved it, but we just had cold feet and didn't feel driven to commit to ordering -- like we were waiting for some better deal or different car to come along. Then the ID.4 popped onto our radar and although I thought my wife would automatically reject a CUV, she was like "this is OK I can live with it" and blam-o here we are. But I get your comparison because she still talks about how great that Polestar was to drive, despite the shortcomings we both found with it for her intended day-to-day family hauler use.

Just a few weeks ago our next door neighbor brought home a Polestar which is the first one I think I've seen in the wild. Interestingly, no regrets, I'm happy for him but I still see him load the kids into their Volvo XC90 when they have to transport their kids somewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts