Volkswagen ID Forum banner
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
812 Posts
There is the ID.4, which has the 62 kWh battery and, like you said, cloth seats, manual seats, etc.
Then there is the ID.4 S, which has the 62 kWh battery but upgraded features (leatherette seats, power seats with memory, heating steering wheel, etc). This one starts at $42,495. <-- this is what I reserved.

If there is "Pro" in the name, it means it has the 82 kWh battery. There is the ID.4 Pro (RWD). Pretty basic in terms of features (cloth seats, etc) but same price as the ID.4 S: $42,495. Moving up there is the Pro S and then the Pro S Plus (AWD).

Like you, I thought I had to have AWD because I am in Maine, but I have read enough posts on this forum that say the RWD works just fine in winter that I am going to take a chance on that. I am also going with the smaller battery because I think for the way we drive 99% of the time it will be fine. My husband was balking at the $50K price for the AWD Pro S I had reserved so maybe this lower price will be more palatable.

I have a feeling there will still be lots of time to think about all this...
Personally, I test drove the RWD and was not impressed. Then, I bought the AWD, and I'm impressed. The car feels completely differently to me with the AWD. It feels like it has plenty of power in reserve, not that I want to floor it. I have a similar feeling (power-wise) with my Tesla Model Y. I never gun it, but on a rare occasion when necessary, it behaves effortlessly when I give it a nudge to accelerate. I don't drive in the snow much, but Maine being a rural state, I'm sure if you venture outside your town, you will have plenty of places where you would wish you had an AWD. Whether or not the RWD will get stuck in the snow - that all depends on how far off the beaten path you want to venture in the winter. If you stay on cleared roads, I'm sure you will be okay with the RWD.

The best illustration of my opinion about the RWD vs the AWD in the ID.4 is that if I owned a taxi company and wanted to equip it with EVs, I would certainly go for the RWD ID.4 fleet of taxis regardless of the climate. But, for myself, I am just as sure that the AWD is the way to go.

·
4 Posts
Does anyone know if VW keeps a master list and delivers based on date orders were received?

Or is there any benefit to putting orders down at two local dealers, as one may receive the car sooner than the other?

·
48 Posts
There is the ID.4, which has the 62 kWh battery and, like you said, cloth seats, manual seats, etc.
Then there is the ID.4 S, which has the 62 kWh battery but upgraded features (leatherette seats, power seats with memory, heating steering wheel, etc). This one starts at $42,495. <-- this is what I reserved.

If there is "Pro" in the name, it means it has the 82 kWh battery. There is the ID.4 Pro (RWD). Pretty basic in terms of features (cloth seats, etc) but same price as the ID.4 S: $42,495. Moving up there is the Pro S and then the Pro S Plus (AWD).

Like you, I thought I had to have AWD because I am in Maine, but I have read enough posts on this forum that say the RWD works just fine in winter that I am going to take a chance on that. I am also going with the smaller battery because I think for the way we drive 99% of the time it will be fine. My husband was balking at the $50K price for the AWD Pro S I had reserved so maybe this lower price will be more palatable.

I have a feeling there will still be lots of time to think about all this...
Thanks. I went looking again after I posted and did find the S. I wish I lived a bit closer to Portland, then I would get the S too, but I worry a bit about winter. You're more experienced than me dealing with that. I kinda hate to give up the heated steering wheel and nice headlights, tho..

·
54 Posts
I upgraded my May reservation to a 2023 but didn't see any estimated delivery time. Maybe because I downgraded to a Pro from a Pro S??
I ordered a RWD Pro yesterday and the delivery shows at fourth quarter 2022. I think that is just a default setting, like the "Mid-2022" ETA for previous orders. Somewhere I saw a post sawing Plant Peon said they were only making the AWD cars for the first few months? It would be nice to have an idea which models/configurations are getting priority in the manufacturing time line.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,044 Posts
Does anyone know if VW keeps a master list and delivers based on date orders were received?
They say they make them in order of reservation, but have not been doing this at all. Some with the same trim as me got theirs in 5 months, while mine took 15 months to deliver about the same time. They do them in huge batches.
Or is there any benefit to putting orders down at two local dealers, as one may receive the car sooner than the other?
Yes very big benefits since some dealers get them much quicker than others. This could be due to bigger dealers have a longer q, and when someone in their q cancels you can get moved up quicker.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,044 Posts
Somewhere I saw a post sawing Plant Peon said they were only making the AWD cars for the first few months? It would be nice to have an idea which models/configurations are getting priority in the manufacturing time line.
Yes this has been confirmed in multiple threads. The only other info released is that the smaller battery models will be much later in the year.

·
149 Posts
Freakin' VW. I now have a deposit down for a 2022 Mach E and a 2023 ID.4. it'll be interesting to see which comes first...
I did the same thing and was able to secure a Mach E Select about 3 months ago but instead when I heard that my 2022 ID4 landed at the port, I patiently waited for it. Glad I did.

·
3 Posts
I just did, it's Pro S AWD, Arctic Blue. And I have locked into 2022 already, Moonstone Gray. Does anyone have a detailed item by item comparison, 2022 vs. 2023, besides diff. colors. I coudn't find any. Faster charging?

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,044 Posts
Does anyone have a detailed item by item comparison, 2022 vs. 2023, besides diff. colors. I coudn't find any. Faster charging?

·
136 Posts
I upgraded my reservation made in May to a MY 2023. I was frustrated by the color/combination choices. My original reservation was for a 2022 Dusk Blue Metallic AWD Pro S with gray interior. The new 2023 blue choices (both of them!) require the cosmic blue interior (with white accents), and I just find that white steering wheel off-putting. I ended up reserving the pearl black with the dark gray/black interior.
Based on the experiences of those with First Editions with white steering wheels, I'm maybe not as scared of the white steering wheel as I should be. What really sells it for me, though, is that most of the Piano Black in the car (though not all) is gone. I'm basing this from the interior photos of the interior you can pull up while configuring a 2023 ID4.

·
8 Posts

Weirdly on the order "half circle" the 2023 still shows arriving in the US as one of the configuration steps

·
ID.4 Pro S RWD Moonstone Gray. Reserved 20 Mar 2022, Locked 13 July 2022
10 Posts
Yep, just ordered a 23 Pro S RWD in White also have a 22 Pro S RWD, in Moonstone reservation. Tax credit confusion not withstanding, I'm happy to take whichever one arrives first.

·
812 Posts
Weirdly on the order "half circle" the 2023 still shows arriving in the US as one of the configuration steps
Isn’t the Chattanooga VW plant considered to be a foreign trade zone? Economically, it’s not part of the US, so the car must be delivered to the US. Don’t ask me how this nonsense came about.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts