Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure glass blocks most, or maybe even all UVB for all I know, but what about UVA? VW probably knows, and it's probably different for windshield, panoramic roof, and side glass. How to get that info is the question? Also VW may use different glass depending on country car is destined for. I think in Europe some of the front side glass is double paned even.
Folks living in sunny places like Arizona may want to consider window film, esp. for panoramic roof, and not just any window film either.... And people with fair skin or who get skin cancers or who want to slow skin wrinkling/aging may want to consider film no matter where they live. At the very least least they'll want to wear sunblock and a hat. Esp. true for kids. This from a Dr. Lim in Australia: (
).

·
ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
190 Posts
Almost all UVA or B light is blocked for front windshields since they are required to have laminated glass (97%+ reduction depending on manufacture). Side windows have reported a wider variation of blocking 40-70% of UV-A (UV-B mostly blocked by just basic glass). No idea yet what VW has done for front side windows, my guess is nothing special. I will likely treat the front side windows with clear UV film. (Ref: https://www.q-lab.com/documents/public/836be176-8afa-4920-bfa9-93961faf0a6c.pdf)

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost all UVA or B light is blocked for front windshields since they are required to have laminated glass (97%+ reduction depending on manufacture). Side windows have reported a wider variation of blocking 40-70% of UV-A (UV-B mostly blocked by just basic glass). No idea yet what VW has done for front side windows, my guess is nothing special. I will likely treat the front side windows with clear UV film. (Ref: https://www.q-lab.com/documents/public/836be176-8afa-4920-bfa9-93961faf0a6c.pdf)
That's a really informative link you sent - looks like from 2011. I've used clear film on all the glass in a car before, even though it's illegal on the windshield in Ca.
Had film removed from windshield before I sold car as I think it slightly reduced clarity. Yes, I'll likely have clear installed on front side windows too. I ordered the Pro as I'm concerned the great expanse of glass on a panoramic roof will result in more UVA and heat, and I suppose the powered shade only helps a little. Sure, the glass used for the panoramic roof may be similar to windshield glass and block most UVA, but if one drives a lot it could be an issue for some people at some latitudes. Some folks with Tesla's have had tint applied to both sides of panoramic roofs - no idea if 2 sides is better than one, or not.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,095 Posts
a panoramic roof will result in more UVA and heat, and I suppose the powered shade only helps a little.
On my tests here in CO with the intense sun we get due to altitude, the shade blocks almost all the UVA and blocks any heat you can feel.

Reactions: Dana

·
Premium Member
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 First Edition
1,481 Posts
All regular glass blocks 100% UVB. Only quartz glass lets UVB pass. Learned that the hard way back in college labs.
UVA is blocked by any plastic, clear or tinted. That’s why even cheap sunglasses can claim 100% UVB and very good UVA blockage, and why a safety glass windshield does too.

Heat is another matter, at the extreme other side of the light spectrum in the infrared wavelengths.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my tests here in CO with the intense sun we get due to altitude, the shade blocks almost all the UVA and blocks any heat you can feel.
That test was done on the ID.4, right? Using some sort of instrument for testing UV and/or heat gain? Maybe the shade has plastic in it? I know on clothing, the tighter the weave the more UVB it blocks. Whether or not some kinds of regular fabrics can block any UVA I have no idea, but I sort doubt it. Maybe the fabric on the ID.4 sun shade is special in some way.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All regular glass blocks 100% UVB. Only quartz glass lets UVB pass. Learned that the hard way back in college labs.
UVA is blocked by any plastic, clear or tinted. That’s why even cheap sunglasses can claim 100% UVB and very good UVA blockage, and why a safety glass windshield does too.

Heat is another matter, at the extreme other side of the light spectrum in the infrared wavelengths.
Good to know. Maybe the panoramic roof is also safety glass and so blocks the UVA? So another question is can a panoramic roof with a sunshade block heat as well as a steel roof with a liner? And if the steel roof is painted white does that make any difference? And would a solar roof make more sense than a panoramic one if it really served a function and didn't add way too much to the cost? EV's seem to be going down the road to panoramic roofs which likely add to the cost.... Maybe it's what the manufacturers perceive their customers want.

·
2021 AWD Pro S
2,095 Posts
That test was done on the ID.4, right? Using some sort of instrument for testing UV and/or heat gain? Maybe the shade has plastic in it? I know on clothing, the tighter the weave the more UVB it blocks. Whether or not some kinds of regular fabrics can block any UVA I have no idea, but I sort doubt it. Maybe the fabric on the ID.4 sun shade is special in some way.
Yes ID.4, yes the shade is special: its black and appears multi-layered and blocks 99% of the visible light and heat (by sight and skin feel.)

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes ID.4, yes the shade is special: its black and appears multi-layered and blocks 99% of the visible light and heat (by sight and skin feel.)
That's good news. Lucky the roof doesn't open or it could cause some serious skin (and maybe eye) damage. (Maybe EV makers won't use opening roofs much as they'd cause too much drag and reduce range). Skin damage is cumulative so we often don't realize it until our later decades when skin cancers show up - 17 in my case so far. I bought a Legacy with a moonroof in order to get autonomous emergency braking, but never opened it. Opened the shade at night occasionally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.