Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the posts this forum suddenly gave me pause. I note references to NDC(?), Apple watches, smart phones and all the rest. My technical comfort zone involves Windows laptops, basic Android smart phones and a credit card. Although I am willing--and able--to update my knowledge and equipment to a some extent, I have no interest in various technical updates, resets, and adjustments or even "smart" key or pay. All I basically want to do is use a key or key-like device to plug in on my home charger or an EA site and drive. I did have a Honda Fit EV, which did just that. (One factor which lead me to cancel my Model Y was Elon Musk calling Tesla as a "computer on wheels, not a car". The other was lousy quality.) Is the ID.4 a sensible choice for me?

·
58 Posts
Reading the posts this forum suddenly gave me pause. I note references to NDC(?), Apple watches, smart phones and all the rest. My technical comfort zone involves Windows laptops, basic Android smart phones and a credit card. Although I am willing--and able--to update my knowledge and equipment to a some extent, I have no interest in various technical updates, resets, and adjustments or even "smart" key or pay. All I basically want to do is use a key or key-like device to plug in on my home charger or an EA site and drive. I did have a Honda Fit EV, which did just that. (One factor which lead me to cancel my Model Y was Elon Musk calling Tesla as a "computer on wheels, not a car". The other was lousy quality.) Is the ID.4 a sensible choice for me?
All basic driving functions work without ever having to look at the infotainment screen. You will prob find the rear window button annoying though.

The availability of android auto should allow you to reuse your knowledge of your phone for mapping and music.

Finding electrify America charging stations while out and about is finicky - not sure if you care about that.

·
286 Posts
You will need to install the ElectrifyAmerica app on your smart phone in order to charge at Electrify America for free. Don’t do so until the dealer gives you the discount code. You need that in order to get the electricity at no charge. Probably best to have the salesman with you at your first charging session or call the phone number on the pump and have them walk you through it.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
963 Posts
It's really not complicated. After installing the app / registering / entering a credit card number — all the normal steps for getting the account up and running — click on the Account tab and Vehicles to link your VIN, then also under Accounts, select Add A Promo Code. It recognized my 6-digit code right away, no fuss. If anything, at least be prepared by having the app installed and yourself registered before tasking a salesman with any setup help.

·
267 Posts
Yes. VW has really made it quite simple regardless of “issues” you read on this forum. It’s got a key fob, it has conventional controls other than the drive selector, and the touchscreen is far simpler than Windows. If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball and so it goes with if you can operate a Windows PC, you can operate this!

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
963 Posts
… if you can operate a Windows PC, you can operate this!
LOL, at risk of alienating the OP MrF further, I'll just add that due to buggy software, my wife and I have both driven the ID.4 with the center screen completely blank, so I'd go a step further any strike your Windows qualification.

If you can drive a car, you can drive the ID.4!

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,584 Posts
If you use a Mac and iPhone even easier (just teasing Spin).

Yes, there's a lot of tech. But as many tech-heavy items these days you only need delve as deeply, or shallow, as you want to. The vehicle still drives quite well ignoring most of the tech. Climate control will of course be a priority but there is a membrane-button for that ("clima") and just assign a desired temp in the "classic - auto" and you'll be fine.

Leave the drive in 'D' mode until your comfort level increases (I got accustomed to 'B' regen far quicker than anticipated however).

Note that many members of this forum are by their nature "enthusiasts" and therefore more into a deep dive approach, but the vehicle really is very approachable by less inclined folks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts