Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background story: I was testing the Mach E and when I got home for some reason the 12v battery died on me. I couldn't get inside the vehicle unless I jumped it via the front hood. With the hood open I had to remove the plastic cover associated with the 12v battery pan; was a pain in the butt to do so. Anyway, something like this happen how do you get inside the ID.4 to open the hood and jump the vehicle? I hope it’s easier than the Mach E.

·
534 Posts
The 12v battery will not die, since when it gets low it gets charged from the huge main battery. If the main battery dies, you will need to charge it through the normal charging port.

Reactions: Huey52

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
The ID.4's 12VDC battery is fairly readily accessible in its "Frunk." A little bit cumbersome to remove/replace given some bracing in the immediate area.

Given its interconnectivity with the main battery shouldn't typically have such an issue.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
Background story I was testing the Mach E and when I got home for some reason the 12v battery die on me. I could get inside the vehicle unless I jump the front hood. When the hood open I had to removed the plastic cover that the 12v battery pans was pain in the butt to do. Anyway something like this happen how u get inside the id4 to open the hood and jump the vehicle? I hope it’s easier than the Mach E.
The ID.4 does have a key that can be used to get inside. It is hidden in the fob and the drivers door handle has a hidden keyhole.

·
ID4:1E - Blue Dusk Metallic
139 Posts
Page 73 of the Owners Manual. Just read it an hour ago. Knew it from my e-Golf. Page 68 has the battery for the keyfob pry point (with pics). No hood jumping needed.

·
ID.4 Pro S Moonstone Grey
162 Posts
The 12-volt battery jump starting process seems normal / simple (detailed in manual). As mentioned replacing the 12-v battery requires a cross member to be removed.

PS - The ID.4 12-volt battery can discharge in a special situation. From the manual "The 12-volt vehicle battery will discharge if the hazard warning lights are left on over a long period of time – even when the ignition is switched off."

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Typically EV's only charge the 12v battery when the vehicle is powered on. I don't know of any that keep the 12v from discharging while the car is powered off. Or maybe I read somewhere that the ID.3 and ID.4 actually do keep the 12v from going completely flat, even if the car is powered off??? Anyhow, as others have said, you can manually open the driver's door with the physical key found inside the key fob, and then you can open the hood since it's a manual release.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Glacier White
214 Posts
Another cool design decision. If you are in the car and somehow the electrical system goes kaput the internal door handles actuate a solenoid when pulled part of the way to electronically pop the door but if you pull them all the way they actuate the mechanical door open system. Many manufacturers made separate and ugly workarounds for this problem. IMO VW’s solution is natural and elegant.

·
534 Posts
Or maybe I read somewhere that the ID.3 and ID.4 actually do keep the 12v from going completely flat, even if the car is powered off???
Yes you probably read it here. Reportedly changed since ID.3 were reporting lots of dead 12v batteries.

Reactions: theboomr and NBCGLX

·
690 Posts
The ID.3 was running something on a very periodic basis that was using the 12v battery. Chris from "Battery Live" did a report on this with the graph of the 12v battery being drained. Reportedly VW was not sure what was draining the battery and in version 2.0 of the software they monitored the 12v battery and would 'top' it off from the 'drive' battery if needed. From what I read, VW did not fix what was causing the drain they just put a bandaid in place to keep from killing the 12v battery.

·
11 Posts
The 12v battery will not die, since when it gets low it gets charged from the huge main battery. If the main battery dies, you will need to charge it through the normal charging port.
You don’t know rhat...a bat can die & refuse to charge

1 - 13 of 13 Posts