Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn to give back to the community.

Disclaimer: this works for me. I don't know how to do this in Windows, or Linux. It's not available on an iPhone or iPad. This might be against forum policy. This could wind up not working if VWOA doesn't like it and hides it somehow. I didn't figure this out until I was on Step 4 on the Wheel of Torture (tm). I don't know when the VIN is assigned.
  1. Get a Mac
  2. Open Safari
  3. In Safari Preferences, go to the "Advanced" tab, and check the "Show Develop menu in menu bar" button
  4. Notice that you now have a "Develop" menu up there in the menu bar with a bunch of scary stuff in it. Don't worry. Have some tea. You're not going to use most of it anyway
  5. Login to your account at https://www.vw.com/myVW . You are using a password manager like 1Password to generate strong passwords, right? Right?
  6. Go to that "Develop" menu, and select "Show Web Inspector." You should now see your window split, with a bunch of web development stuff on the bottom. This is good! Marvel at the complexity of modern web pages, which are actually little applications in their own right. You're looking at part of the code that makes it run. Yes, you need to do this before the next step.
  7. Refresh the page (command-R, View->Reload Page, or click the little circle thingy on the right side of the URL bar); let it load
  8. In the left pane of the Web Inspector, you'll see a section called "Fetches," with multiple items in there called "graphql-api.vw.com." Click on those. Each one has various information about you and your order. One of them will have your VIN.
  9. I have to admit that I've done some sorting in that left pane, so I don't know exactly where the "Fetches" will wind up in that pane. I don't know the default. But it's in there. Promise.
What can you do with this information? Essentially nothing. You can't download an owner's manual. You can't log in to the Car-Net app - which doesn't do much anyway. It won't help you track your car from the factory. You could have just called the dealership. You were going to get this info anyway. But hey, it's nice to know, right?

Proud FE owner
We've been using this method to get VIN's, which allow us to print Monroney sticker when vehicles arrive in port. A few dates are also decipherable, but somewhat debatable.

ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
I'm on a Mac running macOS 11.2.3 and though I can view the Web Inspector info, "Fetches" doesn't appear anywhere in the left-hand window. In fact, if I refresh the page after opening the Web Inspector, the left-hand window ends up virtually blank.

Premium Member
Here's how to find it in Firefox - I'm on a Mac but should be the same on any platform.

Menu -> Web Developer -> Web Developer Tools
Click the Network tab
Click the little Search magnifying glass to the right of the Filter box
In the "Find in resources box" (not the Filter box) search for GetReservations
After a few seconds you should get a couple hits, click on one of them
On the far right change the tab to Response
Finally look in the JSON data below, there should be "vin:" along with some other stuff.

That said I'm still on Step 1 and my VIN is "null".

Disclaimer: this works for me. I don't know how to do this in Windows, or Linux. It's not available on an iPhone or iPad. This might be against forum policy. This could wind up not working if VWOA doesn't like it and hides it somehow. I didn't figure this out until I was on Step 4 on the Wheel of Torture (tm). I don't know when the VIN is assigned.
  1. Get a Mac
  2. Open Safari
  3. In Safari Preferences, go to the "Advanced" tab, and check the "Show Develop menu in menu bar" button
  4. Notice that you now have a "Develop" menu up there in the menu bar with a bunch of scary stuff in it. Don't worry. Have some tea. You're not going to use most of it anyway
  5. Login to your account at https://www.vw.com/myVW . You are using a password manager like 1Password to generate strong passwords, right? Right?
  6. Go to that "Develop" menu, and select "Show Web Inspector." You should now see your window split, with a bunch of web development stuff on the bottom. This is good! Marvel at the complexity of modern web pages, which are actually little applications in their own right. You're looking at part of the code that makes it run. Yes, you need to do this before the next step.
  7. Refresh the page (command-R, View->Reload Page, or click the little circle thingy on the right side of the URL bar); let it load
  8. In the left pane of the Web Inspector, you'll see a section called "Fetches," with multiple items in there called "graphql-api.vw.com." Click on those. Each one has various information about you and your order. One of them will have your VIN.
  9. I have to admit that I've done some sorting in that left pane, so I don't know exactly where the "Fetches" will wind up in that pane. I don't know the default. But it's in there. Promise.
What can you do with this information? Essentially nothing. You can't download an owner's manual. You can't log in to the Car-Net app - which doesn't do much anyway. It won't help you track your car from the factory. You could have just called the dealership. You were going to get this info anyway. But hey, it's nice to know, right?
Thanks! You're a terrific teacher.

Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. By the way, if there is a thread somewhere else that has this info, mods please feel free to move it. I'm not too proud, I just couldn't find it easily and I've seen a few requests for the info. I've been lurking since the beginning, I don't think I've ever seen it. Also, if a mod wanted to change the title to remove the "if you've got a Mac" that'd be awesome - but only after someone verifies that this works with Windows, please!

That said, I'm going to do a riff on LieutenantLefse's item. I poked around in Firefox, and if his method isn't clear to you, here's another way to do it on Firefox on a Mac:

1. Open Firefox
  2. Login to https://www.vw.com/myVW
  3. Under Tools, select "Web Developer," then "Network." Your screen will split, this is normal
  4. Reload the page
  5. Ensure "Network"is highlighted at the top of the bottom pane - the developer tools
  6. This is just like a spreadsheet, you might need to adjust the width of the columns so you can see
  7. Scroll down, paying attention to the column labeled "Domain." You're looking for a group that begin with "api.vw.com." In the next column over (File) they should be named "graphql." Click on one of these
  8. The right side of the lower part of your browser window should expand a bit, showing you the contents of the file. This is yet another spreadsheet-type view. Click on the "Response" header, that'll let you read the, uh, response. This is the data you're looking for
  9. When I do this, the webpage downloads six files called "graphql." The second one has the VIN data. The others have other stuff, sometimes repeated.
The cool thing is that with computers there's frequently multiple ways to accomplish any given task.

Waiting for ID.4 Pro S

1. Get a Mac
  2. Open Safari
This worked perfect, thanks and found my VIN....I am at leaving the factory step

ID.4 FE
In Chrome go to the three dot menu dropdown... MORE TOOLS > DEVELOPER TOOLS
Once in developer mode go to the NETWORK tab, check "Preserve Log" and hit the reload button.
After its done reloading type "api" in the search box.
About the "graphql" down should be one that reads "authenticatedGetReservations" in the preview.
Open up all those file trees until the last one and you'll see your VIN about 4 lines from the bottom

ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
Got it to work in Firefox. As expected, no VIN for my Pro S AWD. However, what I was looking for (confirmation of exterior and interior colors) was found! For some reason, I can't see the colors I selected with my order, and when the ordering system snafu caused the Lunar Gray interior to disappear, my order was updated to the Galaxy Black interior. VW Customer Care has been great and confirmed that they corrected my locked order back to the Lunar Gray interior, but I couldn't verify that anywhere on my end. So now I know for sure, VW is telling me the truth (for the record, I didn't think they were lying, I just wanted to verify with my own two eyes).

We've been using this method to get VIN's, which allow us to print Monroney sticker when vehicles arrive in port. A few dates are also decipherable, but somewhat debatable.
Very cool and thanks -- I was able to get my VIN. Mine is expected in port today; how did you use the VIN to print the Monroney sticker?

Discussion Starter · #11 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: SlyEV

I'm on a Mac running macOS 11.2.3 and though I can view the Web Inspector info, "Fetches" doesn't appear anywhere in the left-hand window. In fact, if I refresh the page after opening the Web Inspector, the left-hand window ends up virtually blank.
When you get to the split screen, click on Sources which sits above the text pane. Fetches will be in that tab along the left hand side of the screen.

@Bubbajet - thanks for the info.

I just barely moved to step 4 today 4/6 and thanks to your mac instructions I was able to get my Vin number, thank you. It took me a bit to find it in all that crazy web code magic but eventually under resources.

Premium Member
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
Thank you for the help, Bubbajet. Got my VIN quickly! No luck with the Monroney yet...
I am pretty sure the Monroney will only show up when it is at the port here and ready to go.....for us it would seem sometime around next Christmas :p:rolleyes:

Mine doesn't show up either

ID.4 Pro S AWD
In Chrome go to the three dot menu dropdown... MORE TOOLS > DEVELOPER TOOLS
Once in developer mode go to the NETWORK tab, check "Preserve Log" and hit the reload button.
After its done reloading type "api" in the search box.
About the "graphql" down should be one that reads "authenticatedGetReservations" in the preview.
Open up all those file trees until the last one and you'll see your VIN about 4 lines from the bottom
Thanks for the chrome instructions I have my VIN now.

You got your AWD VIN? Mine still shows "null". Pre-ordered early on launch day.
Hard to tell why some AWD's ordered on 9/23 have made it through production and others have not. I reserved mine on 9/26, locked on 3/5, and have been sitting at 15-1 since 7/6. Some reserved later in September are at 15-2... Doesn't seem related to configuration, perhaps location? I'm in SoCal.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts