Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I set out on an experiment to see how much power would be drained from running the climate all night - but I couldn't get it to stay on! It seems no matter how you start it, if the car is in park for 30 minutes, the climate shuts off. Seems like an unnecessary relic of a feature from an age of non-electric cars with tiny batteries: I had close to a full charge and was only pulling about 1.2 KW, it theory I could have kept the car running for days before the battery was fully drained. In an attempt at being thorough, here are the ways I tried to start the climate (all resulted in shut off 30 minutes after start):
  • starting the climate remotely from car-net
  • getting into the car on the passenger side and manually starting climate
  • fully starting the car using "on" button
  • fully starting the car using "on" button with the seatbelt fastened
  • using "on" button then "off" button, then toggled the "keep climate running" button
  • using "on" then "off" button", then manually turning the climate on from the climate menu
  • pressing the climate button after the climate shut off from a previous attempt

If anyone has had any luck trying a different method, please let me know! I'm assuming that you can keep the climate running indefinitely if the car is plugged in (though, I'll have to test that too), but it would be nice for camping trips where there isn't electricity available to be able to keep the climate running all night

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
245 Posts
the un-official way to have camp mode =
1. Click your safety belt of the driver seat
2. Take a sack of 8-10 kg of something.. rice, stones, dumbbells, etc and put it on the drivers seat
3. ??????
4. PROFIT! Un-official Camp mode.

·
446 Posts
Last night I set out on an experiment to see how much power would be drained from running the climate all night - but I couldn't get it to stay on! It seems no matter how you start it, if the car is in park for 30 minutes, the climate shuts off. Seems like an unnecessary relic of a feature from an age of non-electric cars with tiny batteries: I had close to a full charge and was only pulling about 1.2 KW, it theory I could have kept the car running for days before the battery was fully drained. In an attempt at being thorough, here are the ways I tried to start the climate (all resulted in shut off 30 minutes after start):
  • starting the climate remotely from car-net
  • getting into the car on the passenger side and manually starting climate
  • fully starting the car using "on" button
  • fully starting the car using "on" button with the seatbelt fastened
  • using "on" button then "off" button, then toggled the "keep climate running" button
  • using "on" then "off" button", then manually turning the climate on from the climate menu
  • pressing the climate button after the climate shut off from a previous attempt

If anyone has had any luck trying a different method, please let me know! I'm assuming that you can keep the climate running indefinitely if the car is plugged in (though, I'll have to test that too), but it would be nice for camping trips where there isn't electricity available to be able to keep the climate running all night
Put a 10 pound weight on the seat so it simulates someone sitting in the drivers seat.

·
23 Posts
Have you try this with the car Charing overnight? Will VW ID3/ 4 be able to charge at the camp site with 50 amp and also use heat/ AC while charging? Will the main battery charge the 12 V battery while it is being charged?
the un-official way to have camp mode =
1. Click your safety belt of the driver seat
2. Take a sack of 8-10 kg of something.. rice, stones, dumbbells, etc and put it on the drivers seat
3. ??????
4. PROFIT! Un-official Camp mode.

·
40 Posts
Level two charging will run the AC while charging. Level one will not. drivers belt buckled, 35 lbs on seat, Press brake pedal, car turns on. Leave key in car. You cant lock the doors with the key in there, so bear that in kind the car can be stolen with this method.
So basically trick the car into thinking there is a driver in the seat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts