Volkswagen ID Forum banner
101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
2021 VW iD4 1st Edition Glacier White
268 Posts
For comparison in my previous Honda Clarity PHEV I had 6% degradation after 2 years/18000 miles. The car was charged on Level 1/2, usually from 40% to 100% every night. That car had about 25% buffer in total (about 13 kwh from 17 kwh was accessible).

·
ID.4 Pro since June 2021
361 Posts
If I recall correctly, the degradation in the first year is believed to be steeper than later. Sort of a very shallow hockey stick graph where the business end starts at delivery date. For full data on 6000 EVs see GeoTab.
Yep, I'm not worried about that initial 3.3% degradation. All my range and efficiency numbers align well with the other experiences I see posted here. I just thought it was interesting that we might be getting a SOH parameter via OBD after all. @VW TECHNICIAN has mentioned that it was behind the encryption wall, but Car Scanner Pro is offering up that parameter. Is it the same SOH that VW would provide? I don't know. 🤷‍♂️

·
1,243 Posts
Is it the same SOH that VW would provide? I don't know.
No, it is less accurate, but there are ways to make it better, one is to check it soon after discharge to <10% and charge to > 90%, and this:
Temperature .... SOC and how long was ID4 left in off position after charging are important before you take this measurement.
Pack IR changes with SOC....temperature.

Reactions: mochalatte

·
1,683 Posts
Yep, I'm not worried about that initial 3.3% degradation. All my range and efficiency numbers align well with the other experiences I see posted here. I just thought it was interesting that we might be getting a SOH parameter via OBD after all. @VW TECHNICIAN has mentioned that it was behind the encryption wall, but Car Scanner Pro is offering up that parameter. Is it the same SOH that VW would provide? I don't know. 🤷‍♂️
What car scanner is using and what ODIS is using are completely different pids....

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
228 Posts
Carscanner is using the data under gateway 19 / vehicle properties.
Energy content left was the same in obd11(didn't ss), I was at 79% soc

Font Screenshot Multimedia Software Number

Font Screenshot Rectangle Electric blue Technology

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
228 Posts
question remains.. would ODIS show a different output aka picking a value from somewhere else.

·
2021 VW iD4 1st Edition Glacier White
268 Posts
One of the commenters on YouTube with an Enyaq 80+ had an initial reading of 73,947.96 Wh. He had 5,800 mile on his car always charging on Level 2 between 20%-80%. He drove to 2% and charged to 100% and the reading went up to 76647.86 wh.

I think this reading is what the car thinks the battery can take. If the battery is not cycled recently the value could be off. I have seen this before with BMW i3, the value reported by the service menu changes up and down depending on recent charging history.

·
11 Posts
I'm not worried about battery degradation for three reasons: 1) I owned a Chevy Bolt EV for three years, and suffered zero degradation. There will eventually be some, but it is more than likely a small amount after a really long time.

2) VW engineered this idea into their design. Thus, we have an 82 KWh battery being used as a 78 KWh battery, with the top end reserved for replacement of any bad cells in the lower reaches.

3) By the time there is any real impact from degradation, there will probably be "Battery Shops" nearby that can drop the tray and replace any bad cells. It might cost a $1000-2000, but these shops are already starting to appear in California.
I question your analysis but don't have the goods to say you're wrong. If you lose a cell then that module has to be replaced or the cell replaced. I don't think the buffer is sitting unused. If you take a cell out of anywhere I think you have an unacceptable anomaly that will show up. The concept as I understand it is that you cannot run the battery down to unnacceptable, possibly damaging levels.

But please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
1,683 Posts
I question your analysis but don't have the goods to say you're wrong. If you lose a cell then that module has to be replaced or the cell replaced. I don't think the buffer is sitting unused. If you take a cell out of anywhere I think you have an unacceptable anomaly that will show up. The concept as I understand it is that you cannot run the battery down to unnacceptable, possibly damaging levels.

But please correct me if I'm wrong.
Quite clear and correct

·
3 Posts
I tested my Enyaq yestarday and it showed max energy content to be 73,797 kWh (identical number from car scanner and obd11). Car has 18k km driven over 7 months now. You guys write that state of battery can have an impact of this value: its more "correct" when battery is drained or full? Cold or warm? In what conditions IR is at its lowest? Full and warm battery? Schould we take to our calculations 77 or 82 kWh battery capacity as denominator?

·
1,243 Posts
its more "correct" when battery is drained or full?
The most important is discharge to <10% and charge to > 90%, then wait an hour for the BMS to balance the cells. Temperature around 70F. Use 77kwh for denominator. From earlier posts in this thread from @VW TECHNICIAN and others who reported their energy content went up around 1500 wh after the deep discharge/charge (like post# 107 above.)

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
533 Posts
The most important is discharge to <10% and charge to > 90%, then wait an hour for the BMS to balance the cells. Temperature around 70F. Use 77kwh for denominator. From earlier posts in this thread from @VW TECHNICIAN and others who reported their energy content went up around 1500 wh after the deep discharge/charge (like post# 107 above.)
Just to be nit-picky: The capacity of their battery stayed the same. The figure reported by the BMS was amended based on new information.

·
1,683 Posts
Thank you

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
430 Posts
They say it came from 6300 cars and 1.8 million days worth of data. They say high use cars, so they did a filter for high miles, they just don't say how high.
On one of the charts measuring the effect if time on a batteries health it defines high use as > 20,000 km and low us as < 8,000 km

·
1,683 Posts
Go pedal to the metal...and using fast DC charger to charge 100% SOC will make higher degradation.
Battery SOH will be also affected by IR... cell voltages and other sensors.
Current meter will overtime measure energy used to charge and energy discharged. Cell voltages will be used also.
BMS also has ability to measure SOC for individual battery cell .
Most of Demo ID cars where used this way by people who testing for charging or how fast it will go with Go pedal to the metal. So if you are buying one ask for ODIS SOH....it will have 3 values printed out...and from this numbers you make offer for Demo model.

·
3 Posts
Thanks guys for previous tips. I did what you suggested and here are results.

I drained battery to 0% 0km of range and then charged to 100% in heated garage at 18C (20 C battery temp) using 11kW AC. After one hour car reported 76,3 kWh max energy content. 76,3/77*100=99,1%

So in my case degradation after 18k km is 0,9%. It jumped from 4,3% before above procedure.

Im actually surprised by these results. Is VW using different data not available for end user to calculate their official battery degradation? I wander what would that famous YouTuber get in his ID3 if he made BMS recalibration.

Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Darkness

·
1,243 Posts
I wander what would that famous YouTuber get in his ID3 if he made BMS recalibration.
He did this recalibration. Then later he took it to a VW shop who did recalibration again and confirmed his 8% degradation.

Reactions: mindive

·
AWD ID4 Pro S
151 Posts
Thanks guys for previous tips. I did what you suggested and here are results.

I drained battery to 0% 0km of range and then charged to 100% in heated garage at 18C (20 C battery temp) using 11kW AC. After one hour car reported 76,3 kWh max energy content. 76,3/77*100=99,1%

So in my case degradation after 18k km is 0,9%. It jumped from 4,3% before above procedure.

Im actually surprised by these results. Is VW using different data not available for end user to calculate their official battery degradation? I wander what would that famous YouTuber get in his ID3 if he made BMS recalibration.

View attachment 7538
Thx for sharing your findings. Just curious, how often do you charge at level 3 DCFC? Do you mostly do level 2 charging at home?

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
209 Posts
Mine was 74000. I discharged to 3% then fully charged with L2, temperature 63F. It only went up to 74550 though.
My car was a demo for its first 5 months 1700 miles of its life. Now 6000 miles. We think the demo life was especially hard for the car and be careful when considering a demo ID.4. I was kinda worried about it but when deciding I asked them (dealer) to pull battery data, they had no idea how to do it, and I only figured it out how to pull SOH beginning of November :rolleyes:. Well now you know how to do it if you want to buy a demo ID.4 or a used one, bring your OBDLink and your phone :D

101 - 120 of 133 Posts