Volkswagen ID Forum banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
209 Posts
Thanks guys for previous tips. I did what you suggested and here are results.

I drained battery to 0% 0km of range and then charged to 100% in heated garage at 18C (20 C battery temp) using 11kW AC. After one hour car reported 76,3 kWh max energy content. 76,3/77*100=99,1%
I was wondering... when I "calibrated" mine, I only drained it down to 3%, not 0%. And my degradation calculated to about 3.2% (74550). Maybe if I drained the battery to 0% it would end up with higher number......? I guess I'll try that sometime 🤞

·
2 Posts
I know this is likely and hopefully a long way off, but how will we know and be able to ”see” battery degradation When it does occur?

It can’t be the displayed mileage on the GOM since that is based on driving variables, etc….

Will it be how far the battery can charge? Like you’ll one Day be able to only charge to a max charge less than before?

I never had a Leaf, but I think I saw that you would actually be able to see less charge lines or similar on the battery gauge.

@VW-Technician, I’d be interested in your thoughts as well as anyone else that has more than a guess.

·
2 Posts
We purchased an ID.4 in June and already experienced significant degradation issues. The range on an 80% charge is typically 205 miles or so ... the last month it's never been above 180 miles and consistently in the 160 mile range. There was a new low today of 145 miles ... SERIOUS concerns over this vehicle. We are finding VW and the dealership to be very unhelpful as well.

·
2021 VW iD4 1st Edition Glacier White
268 Posts
We purchased an ID.4 in June and already experienced significant degradation issues. The range on an 80% charge is typically 205 miles or so ... the last month it's never been above 180 miles and consistently in the 160 mile range. There was a new low today of 145 miles ... SERIOUS concerns over this vehicle. We are finding VW and the dealership to be very unhelpful as well.
That observed range has nothing to do with battery capacity. It changes due to your driving pattern and outside temperature. In winter you will see lower range in all EVs, depending on temperature and your driving distance (e.g. short drives) you could see up to 50% range loss.

·
VW ID.4 Pro Glacier White Metallic
216 Posts
Sounds more temperature related... Depending on where you live, you'll see dramatic range drop for all electric vehicles. In California, not so much besides the morning cold temperature.

·
287 Posts
It's funny how media attention on 'battery degradation' resulted is so many noticing reduced range... doubt these same people noticed 'engine degradation' on their brand new ICE previously.

·
209 Posts
To check state of health yourself like in this thread you need to use the phone app and an OBD dongle. Can't rely on the guess-o-meter. Based on my experience with my ID.4, if in June you get 205 miles at 80% you probably drive it like it was stolen 😁, or mainly highway driving. If you drive the same way and it is getting colder where you live, getting 145 miles maybe still make sense. When temperature warms up next year it should get back to what it was in June.

·
8 Posts
Has anyone with VCDS (or another scan tool that can read this value, like ODIS) checked this in 19-CAN Gateway?

March 17th with 42 miles:
IDE09074-MAS08256 Vehicle properties-Max energy content 79350 Wh

Sept 17th with 4434 miles:
IDE09074-MAS08256 Vehicle properties-Max energy content 77800 Wh

Is it plausible that my battery has degraded almost 2% over 4400 miles? Some other datapoints:

Mar 17, 2021 79350
Jun 11, 2021 78900
Aug 3, 2021 77900
Aug 17, 2021 77950
Sept 17, 2021 77800

I just checked mine after having some of the battery modules replaced by the dealer at 3500 miles. IDE09074-MAS08256 Vehicle properties-Max energy content 74550 Wh

·
209 Posts
I had 74900 at 4836 miles (~7 months old), currently 73000 at 8745 miles (~9 months old). I assume lower because of degradation + temperature.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts