Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very large LG V60 and frequently see the message pop up on my center screen, "charging wirelessly." Makes me think that means it hadn't been charging the moment prior, i.e. intermittent connection. But I haven't had any issues with phone battery drain to cause me to look into it more.

My wife on the other hand has a somewhat demure Pixel 3, and she's complaining wireless charging isn't cutting it and her phone is depleting rapidly. Again, I need to look into her situation more and see if there's a sweet spot that works more reliably.

What are your experiences?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
I have a very large LG V60 and frequently see the message pop up on my center screen, "charging wirelessly." Makes me think that means it hadn't been charging the moment prior, i.e. intermittent connection. But I haven't had any issues with phone battery drain to cause me to look into it more.

My wife on the other hand has a somewhat demure Pixel 3, and she's complaining wireless charging isn't cutting it and her phone is depleting rapidly. Again, I need to look into her situation more and see if there's a sweet spot that works more reliably.

What are your experiences?
On the whole it seems to do well for me.

But it can depend a lot on what apps are running in the background - some of them suck down a lot of battery for no particularly good reason. Under "Device Care", there are options to display which apps are causing battery to be consumed.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
Charge pad working very well on my iPhone 12 Mini with latest iOS. :)

(EA App pertaining to vehicle charging not so much 😕

·
77 Posts
It works flawlessly on my galaxy s10, however I wish it supported fast wireless charging.

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After posting I tested things out. I tried both phones with just their screens on. I think mine was connected to the car, hers didn't.

So the Pixel just sat there (watching the battery plot page) and lost a percentage at one point, even though it indicated it was charging. I removed her TPU case and also the VW rubber mat that covers the wireless charger. No difference. But her phone is 3 years old and I've been meaning to change her battery, so I can't blame it on the car.

On my V60 after about 5 minutes it ticked up 1%. So at least it charged. I need to do an honest test with it running nav and audio. Just based on that observation the VW charger is not as powerful as the suction cup mount one I use in my i3. I'll need to do a longer drive and check the change in starting and ending percentage before I request VW look into replacing it.

·
104 Posts
Wireless charging is not very fast, even if your phone supports fast charging. You may still need to plug your phone in when using navigation.

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wireless charging can be pretty dang fast but it does come in different flavors. The Pixel 3 is rated for up to 10W and the V60 at 15W. I don't expect VW mounted a 20W Qi coil under there, but my other wireless chargers (both 10 W) manage to put a charge on the battery as I'm navigating and streaming. There should be no need to plug the phone in when using wireless AA. I'd be surprised if VW put anything less than 10 W in, but I've searched and can't find a spec.

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm checking and don't see any variants, but it's weird that this part was FCC approved in 2016! Qi technology has evolved lots since then, and I'm betting most of the Android 10 and 11 devices that support wireless AA also have the capability for 10 or 15 Watt wireless charging.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
Seems pretty bizarre that the physical sticker shows 12V 1.5A but it can only output 5 watts instead of 18. Must be limited for some reason?

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
I believe Wireless chargers have wattage specs in 2.5 watt increments starting at 5. I've seen 5 7.5 10 and 15 myself. Likely because of computer accessory voltages.

·
ID.4 1st Edition
169 Posts
Anyone know of a way to upgrade that to a speedier wireless charging pad?

Reactions: theboomr

·
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see a bunch online that could be taped down and look like they would work fine plugged into the USB, but my hope is VW can be convinced to offer a retrofit. When charging, a message pops up on the center screen to announce the connection. I don't know if the car being aware has any impact on anything — I can't imagine what it would affect — but with an aftermarket pad installed, that "feature" would be lost.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
It doesn't help that Apple just came out with yet another iOS update. Tough for these App vendors to keep pace with a moving target.
But this is better saved for the EA App thread (I know, I started it. ;)

Same here. I cannot get my EA app running at all on iPhone. Works fine on Android.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts