Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a late entry into the reservation pool (Jan. 18th), and I’m still waiting on the email to lock in my order with my $400. In the meantime, I’ve changed my mind on the color so many times. Here’s where I stand:
First I chose Blue Dusk, because generally I like the color blue. I started waffling because it looks really, really blue. I prefer something like the Denim Blue on the Volvo V60. The real life pictures I’ve seen look really nice though. Playful but still at least somewhat refined.
I then decided on black, and I think it looks really sharp and refined. But my wife pointed out that here in the south, a black car can get really warm, and can be hard to keep clean, especially in the spring with pollen.
I’m not really considering silver, because 5 of the 6 cars in my adult life have been silver, and I want something different. I think the white looks pretty nice, but there are a lot of white cars on the road too. I’m not really considering the red. To hot for me. :)
Which brings me to the current lead, the Moonstone Grey. I didn’t think I liked it at first, but my wife loves it, and the pictures I’ve seen make it look much better than how it looks on the configuration screen. With the statement package it’s really cool looking.

Did anyone else have a hard time with this? Which way should I go? I have a feeling I’ll be getting the email soon, and I need to make a choice. Of course, I ultimately will decide for myself, but I just need to think through it.

Reactions: TimD

·
170 Posts
I ended up with Daytona Gray eTron and love this color. For ID.4 I picked blue myself and would have stuck with it. It will look good in it - just a personal opinion.

·
Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
215 Posts
I had a hard time. I wanted a dark gray but they didn’t offer it. The white looks really clean. The silver was too blah for me, and I have a silver car now. My son really liked the moonstone. I liked it too, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. I went with black. I just love the way it looks.

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
Happy wife, happy life! Moonstone Grey will be very unique amongst ID.4's. Likely very few other manufacturer's vehicles on the road with similar colors too. If I had the choice, it would have been very difficult to choose between it and Dusk Blue for my 1st Edition.

·
253 Posts
The Moonstone Grey was my favorite, but it wasn't offered with FE so I went with the blue. I am very happy with the recent pictures of the blue, I was worried it would be too dark.

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Happy wife, happy life! Moonstone Grey will be very unique amongst ID.4's. Likely very few other manufacturer's vehicles on the road with similar colors too. If I had the choice, it would have been very difficult to choose between it and Dusk Blue for my 1st Edition.
Yeah, the more I look at it the more I like it. My biggest issue now is that you can’t get the lighter interior with it. If my wife think a car gets warm with a black exterior color...

Still, my Sportwagen has a black interior, and it seems to cool down adequately in the summer. I think I’ll be fine with it.

·
Mythos Black FE- Reservation January 13 (Previously Pro S), Jan 13, 9:45 AM PST
215 Posts
The other thing to consider is the ability to precondition the car before you drive it. If you can cool the car before you get into it, then the car's exterior and interior don't matter as much.

·
170 Posts
I have no issues with dark interiors. A good sun screen up front and keeping the moonroof covered is all that is needed. Window tint also helps

·
44 Posts
I cancelled my order (Pro S), but had picked the blue. I saw it in person in Seattle and loved it. However, I would have changed it to white when I found out it would have black roof trim instead of the silver trim of the Gradient package. I didn't think that would look good with the blue. I only found that out from a non-public trim differentiation guide someone posted on this forum. Shame on VW for not providing any non-Gradient photos publicly.

The guide had pictures of the Moonstone Gray with the black trim, you might want to look for it (sorry, don't remember what thread it was in).

·
28 Posts
The trim guide is also what made me change from the moonstone gray, because it showed that for the Pro S trim, moonstone is only available with the dark interior that has brown accents.
I like the first edition dark interior with the gray accents. I don’t want the moonstone exterior with a partially brown interior. It’s a shame they only offer one interior choice for the moonstone gray.

Reactions: Craig063

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
701 Posts
If I lived in Europe I’d have a very hard time choosing between Honey Yellow and Dusk Blue. Here in the US I am plenty happy with my blue. If I were going for a Pro S instead of FE I might give Kings Red a second look. No drab colors here. 😅

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,547 Posts
My current Audi TTS is Sepang [pearl] blue. I would have preferred the Scuba [metallic] blue of the TT.
The ID.4 Dusk blue looks like Scuba blue to me, so likewise problem solved. ;)

But if the USA FE also came in silver i would have had a more difficult decision to make. In salted road Winter silver looks, relatively, better.

·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After watching lots of videos and looking at lots of pictures I've decided on the Moonstone Gray. The color seems a little darker irl vs the configuration screen, which I like. My one minor hangup is the brown surfaces on the interior. I don't hate it, but I like the Black/Gray combo a little better with the light interior. It still looks pretty nice IMO, so I'm good with that.

It was this video that really sold me:

·
562 Posts
After watching lots of videos and looking at lots of pictures I've decided on the Moonstone Gray. The color seems a little darker irl vs the configuration screen, which I like. My one minor hangup is the brown surfaces on the interior. I don't hate it, but I like the Black/Gray combo a little better with the light interior. It still looks pretty nice IMO, so I'm good with that.

It was this video that really sold me:

My first choice would be red with grey interior but since its not available I'll have to stick with my blue FE with black interior. VW should offer grey interior with more exterior colors. Even blue FE with grey interior would look good. VW used to offer so many more colors in the past. Maybe when Tennessee is up and running.
I'm really tired of seeing all the different options on EU ID4s on YouTube. Unless I see a US license plate spot on an ID4, I don't bother watching.

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
My first choice would be red with grey interior but since its not available I'll have to stick with my blue FE with black interior. VW should offer grey interior with more exterior colors. Even blue FE with grey interior would look good.
Agree. Especially with the glass roof, lighter interiors would really give a more open and spacious feel (the point of a glass roof).

In 2003, I special-ordered a red over beige Saturn VUE. The dealer thought it was a little odd at first - everyone in Seattle orders dark interiors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts